Glow Plugs

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Hello all. Newbie here yup it is cold up here in Canada. I am trying to figure out my tractor glow plugs. Turned key on and the indicator does not light up. this is a B2650 HSDC. Have to call dealer to check. I have left my tractor plugged in to start. I did start it at about -20 not plugged in and it started but had to run a while to warm up as kept stalling . Are these actually equipped with glow plugs:confused:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Welcome, and yes it is cold here too in Michigan. Yes your tractor does have glow plugs, and the ignition switch key has 4 positions: off, turn to the clockwise one notch and accessories and panel come on, turn a little more clockwise against a spring and glow plug symbol should come on, hold it there while you count 1 mississippi 2 etc according to the temperature, and then further clock wise to crank. Unlike cars and some tractors the glowplug lignt does not go out to tell you it is warmed up enough. So you should always see the light on the panel regardless of the temperature.

The total preheat time is up to 10 sec for -15 oC, and if it doesn't start wait 30 sec before repeating the sequence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Three 3 cyl, 26 HP. It must have glow plugs. Turn your key to the left for 30 seconds . Count slow. The back to center with the key then all the way right to start. Or at least my L3800 works this way.

KyleH

Equipment
L45 TLB
Mar 5, 2016
Ontario
Welcome, and yes it is cold here too in Michigan. Yes your tractor does have glow plugs, and the ignition switch key has 4 positions: off, turn to the clockwise one notch and accessories and panel come on, turn a little more clockwise against a spring and glow plug symbol should come on, hold it there while you count 1 mississippi 2 etc according to the temperature, and then further clock wise to crank. Unlike cars and some tractors the glowplug lignt does not go out to tell you it is warmed up enough. So you should always see the light on the panel regardless of the temperature.

The total preheat time is up to 10 sec for -15 oC, and if it doesn't start wait 30 sec before repeating the sequence.
Sheepfarmer is correct, you have to hold the key between the on and start position for the glow plugs to work on the B2650. The light will come on when you are in the right position. It's kind of funny some models have automatic glow plug operation and others don't. Not that it's a big deal, but for users who are not familiar with diesels may not know. We have a couple Manitou forklifts at work and they have the same glow plug key position, but no indicator lights, or labels. So you can imagine how little they actually get used, I wired an indicator led lamp with a label on one of them after getting complaints of no starts or rough running in the lower temps.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I just posted this in response to another members question and possibly it will explain some things like block heater use and glow plugs.
Dont know your model so this info may not apply.

If your glow plugs are controlled by some electronic wizard, it is possible to force them into another cycle using an undocumented feature.

Assuming you have a shuttle shift, you move the shuttle to forward position and turn key to start. The glow plug light on the dash will not come on but it will be heating. I count to 10, put the shuttle lever in neutral and start.

This trick is a big help even when using a block heater. Sometimes the block heater warms up the sensor which controls how long the glow plugs heat and even if they do at all.

Although the block is warm from the heater, the frigid air coming into the cylinders makes it reluctant to start.

Take 10 seconds and force a cycle and boom the engine does not even turn over.

Dave M7040

KyleH

Equipment
L45 TLB
Mar 5, 2016
Ontario
I just posted this in response to another members question and possibly it will explain some things like block heater use and glow plugs.
Dont know your model so this info may not apply.

If your glow plugs are controlled by some electronic wizard, it is possible to force them into another cycle using an undocumented feature.

Assuming you have a shuttle shift, you move the shuttle to forward position and turn key to start. The glow plug light on the dash will not come on but it will be heating. I count to 10, put the shuttle lever in neutral and start.

This trick is a big help even when using a block heater. Sometimes the block heater warms up the sensor which controls how long the glow plugs heat and even if they do at all.

Although the block is warm from the heater, the frigid air coming into the cylinders makes it reluctant to start.

Take 10 seconds and force a cycle and boom the engine does not even turn over.

Dave M7040
The B2650 glow plugs are controlled manually with the key, which offers an advantage for the situation you are describing. I traded a B2650 in on a L45 which has automatic glow plug control which varies the time they are on depending on how warm the engine is. They still cycle on for a short time if the engine is warmed up, but not nearly as long.