Big Bad Stump

Edwardthe3rd

Equipment
bx24, mower, backhoe, bucket
Sep 23, 2013
Arcadia
OK. I way overdid this. I had a maple stump that was probably 6 feet across, and wanted it gone. My neighbor, who has a big Case, use his backhoe to pull the stump, but he couldn't lift it off the ground. Of course, it was packed with dirt, heavier than a Sherman Tank. So I spent about a day, chopping off roots and getting rid of the dirt packed around them. Then I made a "land boat." (Basically a skid on runners). My idea was to lift the stump just high enough to slide the boat under it, then use my 4x4 to haul it to a ravine on my property. I used my BX 24 loader to pick it up, and roll it backwards enough to do this. But yeah, you figured it out... the damned thing snapped off at the root I was holding it by, and came crashing down on the hood of the Kubota. There was no serious damage to the front end, because the grill is stout. But part of the stump came down on the hood and cowl and I inherited a big plastic jigsaw puzzle. I pieced and welded most of it back together, and it really doesn't look too bad. But I would prefer just to replace them. Do any of you have any idea of how I might do this without buying original parts? I checked on prices at the dealer and .... no way.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Short of a donor tractor, nobody makes tractor body parts aftermarket that I know of. You might try West Kentucky Tractor Parts (wkytpstore.com).

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
This is one of those situations where hireing somebody with the right tools for the job is essential. Finding a company with a stump grinder and paying maybe 200-300 bucks to have it ground out would have saved the hood of your tractor.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
To some extent, I feel your pain. I didn't do it myself, but the PO of my 7100 dumped a scoop full of largish rocks over the back of the bucket onto the front of the hood. I thought that with the popularity and high production numbers of the 7100, finding a faded and rough but "decent" (to match the existing ambiance) hood in a junkyard would be easy enough. Not so it seems. So far the best deal I found was a perfect NOS in bright orange OEM paint that someone here pointed me to on CL somewhere back east. It was $300 + shipping, and would look VERY out of place on my tractor, but I'm starting to think I should have gotten it. I can just see myself "distressing" it to make it match. :eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is one of those situations where hireing somebody with the right tools for the job is essential. Finding a company with a stump grinder and paying maybe 200-300 bucks to have it ground out would have saved the hood of your tractor.
You do know that grinding down a stump and removing it completely are 2 different things right???:rolleyes:

Jokers up here try that all the time, Ground down is not removed!

I went to a job where they had ground down 6 stumps and were already setting forms to pour a slab over it all.
I pulled the plug on that idea before it got ugly!;)
And people wonder why there house just magically shifted one day.:eek:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You do know that grinding down a stump and removing it completely are 2 different things right???:rolleyes:

I went to a job where they had ground down 6 stumps and were already setting forms to pour a slab over it all.
Well yeah DUH I know there is a difference! YES stumps should be dug out if you're building a house on the lot, which is typically done from a dozer or excavator. But with his 6' maple tree and dragging it to a ravine chance are it was a tree out on a farm. Which is why I said to grind it...

Thanks Captain Obvious!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey E3,

dont feel bad, bought my BX-25D in June, had 1.6 hours on it, loaded up the bucket with firewood, hauled and went to dump it, one piece rolled back bounced off the hood (metal) placed a small dime size dent in the ol' girl :mad:, I was just.:confused:.......sad thing is that I didnt get too mad at myself, kinda like a new car in the walmart parking lot, someome is going to give you that brand new ding in your door! Dent is still there and 30 more hours and I am getting smarter all the time.....I hope!:rolleyes:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

It aint likely that stump will rot or something over time....:eek: Like Ron White said, "you cant fix stupid!" Removed and ground are wAY different!

bumper

Equipment
BX24, B3350 cab, w/front mount blower, BH77
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
Besides, who the heck among us* is gonna go hire a stump grinder when we have a perfectly good little backhoe to pla . . . um, work with.

*Okay, there may be someone, but they ain't no tractor man!

bumper

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
I had a huge water oak in front of my house that had been struck by lightening. Every so often pieces would come down as evidently the lightening had finally done the tree in. I had a professional tree service come in to remove the tree. Should have sold tickets as every car that went by stopped to see what was going on. Even put a chair out front and watched. Best fun I've had in a long time. You would have thought that with a tree this size would have generated a huge amount of wood chips. They ground right down to the root system and all those chips just barely filled the hole. One of my neighbor's lost a bunch when the last hurricane came through here. As one joker put it "they heard the roar of the wind, when over it was the roar of the generators and chainsaws".
I've lost three pecan trees since owning this place. Usually when they fall most of the branches and limbs just breakup. The largest was over 75' high and except for the main trunk it only took about three hours to cut up the limbs and bigger branches. The main trunk I whittled away on that thing on and off for a couple weeks. Took weeks on and off burning that one. Shame someone couldn't have used that wood. Sure does smell nice when cutting and burning. Frank

iwlf

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 2, 2013
Mount Gilead, NC
Well, after reading all the "sage" advice about what he should or shouldn't have done (who among us hasn't done something they wished they'd thought through a little better) the hood should be fixable. If you have all (or most) the pieces a decent fiberglass shop should be able to "sculpt" you a nice looking hood. It might be a jigsaw puzzle under the paint but should look just fine from the topside.

Good luck!