Can’t seem to find leak

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
M100x

When I lift my bucket , it likes to slowly come back down. If I lift it half way under a hay bale it doesn’t come down. I’m just wondering if I should be looking into a cylinder rebuild kit. My controls don’t seem to be sticking??. I will be changing my hyd-trans fluid and filters before the winter but just concerned about why it’s slowly coming down like that . Most of my bucket hoses have been changed but not my boom hoses. The box where my hoses for my bucket plug into has a bit of a oily residue on it.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
As long as the controls are in the neutral position, is is most likely oil leaking past the cylinder piston seals. one or both cylinders probably need to be rebuilt.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As dlsmith said, you have an internal cylinder leak.
You'll need to pull both cylinders (as you don't know which one is leaking) and either rebuild them yourself or have someone do it for you. ;)

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Thanks!!

Do you know if the wsm shows hydraulic cylinder rebuilds, or if theres any other decent resources out there? thanks again.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
A cylinder is pretty much a cylinder once you get them apart. Take a look on Youtube for a quick lesson.
The bucket cylinders on a self-leveling ALO loader are quite another kettle of fish though!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The loader is an M46
It might be leaking cylinders but on that loader I would suspect the bucket relief valve has some debris in it causing it to leak. It is located in the manifold valve on the crossframe of the loader. You could take it all apart and clean it out, but I've found you can "flush" them and usually get them working right again. This might seem like a pretty reckless thing for me to suggest but it does work! Tip your bucket down so the teeth are 45 or more degrees to the ground and get the tractor traveling at a few MPH. slowly lower the boom until the bucket teeth dig into the ground and force the bucket cylinders over relief! The bucket will "trip" and this effectively flushes the relief valve. ( don't do this where your neighbors can see you or they will think you have lost your mind!!)

good luck!