Woodland Mills WG 24 stump grinder

TiftTyson

Equipment
2018 L2501 HST, LA 525 Loader, Landpride Rotary Cutter, Box Blades;Bush Hog Til
Mar 24, 2018
ATHENS, GA
Got a call from R&L carriers this evening. My WG 24 stump grinder will be here Thursday of this week. I predict at least half a tank of diesel will get used this weekend. I have several stumps and a few roots that I intend to grind. I will post pics and a review info after I get it. I think it has potential to be a commonly used implement. My tree cutting has increased since getting a grapple and a decent chainsaw. Getting rid of the stumps will give my property a finished look.

Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
You'll both enjoy and get a lot of use out of it!! Follow the directions for setting up the slip clutch and the actual grinding and it'll do its job. Its built simple and rugged. I've been putting together a remote camera setup with the camera viewing the cutting as it takes place. I fabbed a camera mount on one of the front legs. Screen sits on the front dash area. That should make it even easier to use and easier on the neck without having to turn around and looking back so much.

Reactions: 1 user

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
over in my thread on this.. you will learn the "rgiht side" of the teeth to use pretty quickly.

after that its all about taking small passes & being steady with how you let it chew thru the stump.

avoid ROCKS!

Tomztoy

Equipment
L3901 FEL BH Grapple Post Hole Digger Flail Mower Back Blade Rake Stump Grinder
Oct 28, 2016
Cleveland TN
I have lost count of how many stumps I have ground. I grease it every time prior to using it. Great simple design that works well. I am using it on a B2601 without any issues.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
looking for your insights on your stump grinders. I'm thinking of adding one to my equipment list.

I have mostly smallish (under 20" diam) maples, ash and oaks. Would I be greatly disappointed with a 24" model? Also, can you give me an idea on costs?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
This one was just featured on TTwT

When I saw him use it I thought for sure it would be a $3500 attachment, but to my surprise it was listed for $2600 shipped

Looks like a 3 ticket ride on a BX, but on something like a B series it's prob a lot less drama.

Baumalight 1P24

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
When you grind a stump, and before you cover it with dirt, pour some cheap syrup on it. It will feed the fungi that will decompose the stump. Works a ton faster than any commercial stump rot product.

If you care to spend the time on it, drilling a bunch of holes will help. Cutting the syrup 50/50 with hot water works better, as it soaks in more.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
This one was just featured on TTwT

When I saw him use it I thought for sure it would be a $3500 attachment, but to my surprise it was listed for $2600 shipped

Looks like a 3 ticket ride on a BX, but on something like a B series it's prob a lot less drama.

Baumalight 1P24

I've seen some recent reviews on the bauma light. Looks decent. However, I think it is substantially lighter in weight than the Woodland Mills option. They both run just about the same in cost I believe.

I think I may go for the WG24 and its heavier weight? Anyone have a different opinion?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Placed my order today for the woodland mills WG24.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I bit off topic but I have about 75 hours on a Woodland Mills WC68 chipper. Price was significantly less than other units in the same size range. I have been very impressed with quality and performance. It has chipped everything from dry white oak to wet pine so long as it fits in the chute. If their stump grinders are of similar quality you made a good call.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I bit off topic but I have about 75 hours on a Woodland Mills WC68 chipper. Price was significantly less than other units in the same size range. I have been very impressed with quality and performance. It has chipped everything from dry white oak to wet pine so long as it fits in the chute. If their stump grinders are of similar quality you made a good call.
We'll see...but I did read lots of the reviews. Very positive. I have high hopes for it.

I had considered a chipper too, but I would have so much to chip that I'm not sure that the time it would take (for me) would be worthwhile...I do a burn once/year. A chipper would be really nice to have (since I like to use wood chips). Maybe if I had more time available.

B737- sent you a pm about your truck.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
just a follow up on this thread...

I ordered it on 8/6. It was delivered 9/28. So, a bit on the slow side but no hiccups whatsoever. I had to take 4" off of the PTO shaft. I looked at the instructions, but they didn't mention anything about testing the length at full height on 3 point. That was my shortest dimension so I cut the shaft accordingly. If you are using a quick hitch setup, you likely could use the full length shaft (34"). Adjusting the slip clutch was a piece of cake and checking torque specs on the cutting teeth took a bit of time and some tool "creativity".

It was very well crated and the resulting steel crate will be converted into:

1) the stump grinder storage/rolling caddy
2) another nice steel framed shooting table

...so, there's that.

I think they build a nice product and I would seriously consider getting one of their chippers...they seem to be at a decent price with lots of useful features.

Managed to grind 7 older stumps in slightly over an hour. No issues, just need some more time on it to expedite the process and learn best way to proceed on each stump...about 50 more to go for now...

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
awesome!! What a great implement to have around. Looking forward to hearing your experience with it going forward and some pictures.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Congrats, dirtydeed! Mine has worked out very well for me. I think I've done as many stumps for my elderly neighbors as I have for myself so far. I've purchased a backup camera to mount for saving on
the neck but still need to finish the install. Mainly something to hold the display on the dash and that can be easily removed. I've already made a little bracket to hold the camera on the grinder itself. Plus a
roll around cart for the grinder. I'll try and take some pics tomorrow or the next day and post them here.
I think the camera will really ease the neck strain when you have a bunch of stumps lined up to grind, one after the other.
At first I had trouble getting the grinder to get down far enough below grade level. Swapping the top link to the other hole on the tractor hookup end solved that problem.
david

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Congrats, dirtydeed! Mine has worked out very well for me. I think I've done as many stumps for my elderly neighbors as I have for myself so far. I've purchased a backup camera to mount for saving on
the neck but still need to finish the install. Mainly something to hold the display on the dash and that can be easily removed. I've already made a little bracket to hold the camera on the grinder itself. Plus a
roll around cart for the grinder. I'll try and take some pics tomorrow or the next day and post them here.
I think the camera will really ease the neck strain when you have a bunch of stumps lined up to grind, one after the other.
At first I had trouble getting the grinder to get down far enough below grade level. Swapping the top link to the other hole on the tractor hookup end solved that problem.
david
Just wondering if the camera mount on the stump grinder is not going to be pretty jumpy. Watching the stump videos it seams like they take a beating. Maybe a "selfie stick" or a tripod off the ROPS might help to keep it still and allow you a better view.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
david
David, I would have to agree with you on the visibility aspect. I had a tough time getting into the right position to view what I was trying to grind. It was pretty difficult to see.

I don't understand how lowering the top link connection would do anything to lower the grinding depth. However, moving the two lift arms to the holes closest to the tractor would certainly allow the grinder to go deeper.

Just curious, did you have to cut quite a bit off of your PTO shaft? I removed 4" because the minimum measured length was 31" with the grinder raised to full height on the 3 point hitch.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Just wondering if the camera mount on the stump grinder is not going to be pretty jumpy. Watching the stump videos it seams like they take a beating. Maybe a "selfie stick" or a tripod off the ROPS might help to keep it still and allow you a better view.
Depending on how big a “bite” you’re taking, type of stump, forward speed, etc. it can get quite jumpy.
But when all the variables are properly accounted for it can be relatively smooth sailing. But the camera is more for backing up and getting lined up for each cut, adjusting the depth and width of cut, etc. Once
You’re lined up to go forward you really don’t need to watch the cutting take place. The vibration and sound of the grinder pretty much tell you what you need to know.

The view of the teeth where the cutting takes place is almost hidden by the PTO shaft, lift arms, top link, etc. Plus, the further the camera is away from the grinding disc the details shrink pretty fast. The best
location I could find was right on the WG24 itself. Also, having it hang down low off the tractor itself might put it in harms way from the stump itself, brush or any other obstacles you might be driving over. It’ll be interesting to see if the camera and its mounts can take the vibration over time. 🤔

David, I would have to agree with you on the visibility aspect. I had a tough time getting into the right position to view what I was trying to grind. It was pretty difficult to see.

I don't understand how lowering the top link connection would do anything to lower the grinding depth. However, moving the two lift arms to the holes closest to the tractor would certainly allow the grinder to go deeper.

Just curious, did you have to cut quite a bit off of your PTO shaft? I removed 4" because the minimum measured length was 31" with the grinder raised to full height on the 3 point hitch.
Yup, you are correct! When I looked at my lift arms…..that’s exactly what I had done. I had remembered wrong. I don’t remember the exact length but I did have to shorten the PTO shaft a good amount.

Here’s some pics of my rolling cart/stand for my stump grinder. Wood on top of the metal framework takes the worries out of setting it down on the cutting teeth. To keep it from sliding around when moving it there are two secured wood blocks with circular cutouts for the feet to sit in. The front half of the PTO shaft just lays underneath when stored. A couple of pics shows the camera bracket added and with the camera mounted to it.

WG24 Mobile Cart.jpg
WG24 Cart.jpg
WG24 Leg Restraints.jpg
Camera Mount Bracket.JPG
WG24 Camera in Place.JPG

The monitor's view is quite good from the camera. I’ve taped the monitor to the hood/dash when used but it needs a better solution for keeping it in place yet be removeable when necessary or not needed. I think the kit with two cameras ran about $60 when I purchased it. When all the kinks get worked out it'll be really nice for grinding stumps.
david