Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tractor Operating

Tractor Operating Wondering what that strange lever does, how to safely hill climb or get into 4WD? Discover and share how to get the most out of your tractor.

Old 2 Days Ago   #101
Oliver
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L2501
Default Re: Kubota L2501 - initial review

Good that you have the tie rod guard on now.

I'll have to look but I imagine I'm at around 30 hours now so the 50 hr service will be coming up pretty soon. Trying to decide whether to change the SUDT as well as filters at the 50 service? Kubota says it is not necessary now so I maybe I will just do the filters.
For oil, Rotella T-6 5w-40 exceeds the specs and I already keep that oil on hand for my motorcycles, and for synthetic it's inexpensive, so I think I'll standardize on it. Another reason is I hate having part bottles of all different kinds of oil on the shelf. As it is now there's already three: T-6 for most of my motorcycles, Zero Turn, and now Kubota; 20w-50 for the BMW Airhead, Harley, and Zero Turn hydro drive, and 5w-30 (but not diesel rated) for my truck.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 2 Days Ago   #102
troverman
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2019 L2501 HST, 2018 MX4800 HST, 2013 B2920 HST (Traded), 2002 L4310 GST (Sold)

T6 is good oil - I run it in my 2018 RAM 3500 diesel and I ran it in my 2017 Ford F-250 diesel. It is a great price to buy 3 gallons on Amazon for like $55 shipped.

I buy the Kubota branded oil (which is not synthetic) because it was easy since I was already at the dealer for filters.

My Harley takes 20W50 and I actually run Valvoline VR1 racing oil which is high in zinc. I also run it in my zero turn mower HST drives which also take 20W50. The Kawasaki engine runs straight 30 weight or 10w30.
troverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #103
Oliver
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
My Harley takes 20W50 and I actually run Valvoline VR1 racing oil which is high in zinc. I also run it in my zero turn mower HST drives which also take 20W50....
VR1 is the 20w-50 that I have been using too but now that I'm just out will be replacing it with the Synthetic VR1 20w-50 because Ferris (or maybe it was the Ferris dealer who) recommended using synthetic in the hydro. Also a tech at Valvoline said VR1 would be great in the Harley and Airhead but it was designed for "racing" so it is low in "extended life additives", as racing oil get changed very frequently. I asked about the Synthetic version and he said that would be best if you leave in for over 3,000 miles.
Old 2 Days Ago   #104
troverman
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2019 L2501 HST, 2018 MX4800 HST, 2013 B2920 HST (Traded), 2002 L4310 GST (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
VR1 is the 20w-50 that I have been using too but now that I'm just out will be replacing it with the Synthetic VR1 20w-50 because Ferris (or maybe it was the Ferris dealer who) recommended using synthetic in the hydro. Also a tech at Valvoline said VR1 would be great in the Harley and Airhead but it was designed for "racing" so it is low in "extended life additives", as racing oil get changed very frequently. I asked about the Synthetic version and he said that would be best if you leave in for over 3,000 miles.
Good info, I use the non-syn version. My zero turn has Hydro-Gear ZT3400 drives in it and doesn't ask for synthetic. It doesn't get used in the winter, has never been a problem. I do change the oil frequently on my bike.
Old 2 Days Ago   #105
degoniaorange82
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: l2501hst, 5ft. tiller, box blade and finnish mower, subsoiler and plow

Wow, made me go look to see if that plate was on mine! It is, and your review of the 2501 mirrors mine...at 82hrs. now, am still very pleased with this tractor. Recently traded a 60" finish mower for a land pride 72" deck, and am very happy with the way it performs with the wider cut. Also, when I did the 50hr. service, I drained the trans/hydro system and put new fluid in. It seemed to quiet the hydro "whine" somewhat.
degoniaorange82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #106
Oliver
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by degoniaorange82 View Post
.....Also, when I did the 50hr. service, I drained the trans/hydro system and put new fluid in. It seemed to quiet the hydro "whine" somewhat.
Others here have done the same at the first service so I'm thinking what the hell for $90 or so I think I will too, for the piece of mind if nothing else.
Old 2 Days Ago   #107
troverman
4th Yr. Apprentice

For the record, at 51 hours, my UDT factory fill fluid was as clean as the new SUDT2 I added to make up for what I lost during the filter change.