Which Tractor for grapple

General

Sep 4, 2019
Altoona, Al
Hello everyone, I love reading for information here. I have a Grapple question now I’m getting close to getting a tractor for work around the property this winter. It seems a smaller tractor would work for most things to get done but I would like a grapple for logs. I have 100 acres, mostly all heavy wooded, hilly, 1/4 mile gravel driveway with 12 degree slope first part, a pond dam to clear. Implements plan to get, Front end loader, 5’ rotary blade, gravel scraper, ( woodland mills 4” 15 PTO speed) chipper, backhoe for stumps and , and would like a grapple. If I plan to cut trails , room for garage, trees must come down. I was thinking of a B2650 or L2501 HST. Since I don’t see where I need power since rotary cutting is clearing between trees and side of road. I wish PTO was higher than 19 on these.
I have some time since I want to build a shed to put the tractor in first so if you know a good time of year to buy or another model. I’m hoping this will replace the joy I got out of motorcycle riding and be safer.
I’m sure I’m leaving out information.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Even a little BX can handle a grapple, just depends on what you want to do with it. Figure out the tractor and then size the implements to it. I am getting my B2650 tomorrow and I ordered a EA wicked 55 grapple for mine. In terms of the tractor look at what implements you want to use to accomplish your tasks. Get a bigger tractor if you can. For me it was the front mount snow blower that put me on a B2650 as I needed mid PTO, and for the money it worked for me. If you don’t you can save some money or upsize to a larger L that will give you more rear PTO HP and more lift power on the FEL. More lift bigger grapple.

You can check out Tractor Time with Tim to see his little JD using a grapple and moving some big logs. Also GP Outdoors has a B2601 with a grapple that he does lots of logging with too. Then pop over to Everything Attachments and see their grapples, long wait though 10-12 weeks for delivery, at least it was when I ordered.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You don't mention mowing, but you do mention a pond dam which might suggest some sort of house section that needs mowing.

If you want to mow, and want to mow with a mid mount mower, then the B is the answer. If you want a cab you need the B. Otherwise, I think the L2501 is better in most ways. Having said that, on the specifications a B2650 and an L2501 have almost identical lift capacity, ground clearance and HP. The B has some nicer features, has a mid PTO, can be had with a cab, and is lighter. The L is more solidly built and the engine capacity is larger = more torque.

I think I'd lean towards the B, but if you really have no concerns about weight, I think the L would give you more capability when driving around 100 acres of woods.

I think the step up to a higher HP L isn't much money. Lots of people don't like the emissions controls, but more HP is more HP.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I’m hoping this will replace the joy I got out of motorcycle riding and be safer.
I’m sure I’m leaving out information.
Cutting down trees in the bush could hardly be safer than motorcycling!

If you are planning to move trees around I think you will be disappointed in your tractor selection. I'd suggest 60+ horsepower utility tractors to start.

If you plan on removing stumps etc get a used 4WD TLB like a Case580 or CAT420. Machine weight will be your friend.

General

Sep 4, 2019
Altoona, Al
For the finish mowing I just use a lawn tractor for the lawn and across the top of the dam, I have pondered what to use for the slopes on each side of the dam, one side is long. May need some ingenuity. Thinking a rotary cutter with its own motor and small wench to lower and raise, not fast but only need to do once or twice a year.
No need for a cab since land is in Alabama

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
First off, welcome to the forum.

My family has an 80 acre farm and we are working on getting the no tillable areas (about 20 acres) back under control after years of neglect.

What size tractor is right for you? It depends on how quickly you would like to get things done. I have L3560 (35HP) and my dad has a MF383 (80 HP). There are advantages to both. My smaller tractor has been able to get in places his bigger one couldn't. His bigger one has been able to lift objects that my little one couldn't.

We have been doing a lot of brush and tree clearing. Where my dad might pull the whole tree out with his tractor, I will cut the tree in half and drag out half of it. Although, when dad got his tractor stuck, it was my tractor that pulled him out.

The tractors you have selected will do what you are wanting to do, bigger tractor will generally do it faster.

This last weekend was the first time I was wishing I had a bigger tractor. There was a 4-bottom plow buried in the dirt that I was trying to pullout, but my tractor just didn't have the ability to break it free so we could move it. Dad was able to work it free with his bigger tractor. So, since I purchased my tractor in late May, I have come across one task that I wasn't able to complete.

So, what I'm trying to say, I think your tractor choice is fine (only you know what you can afford, if money is no problem, then get the biggest then out there and buy a couple models in between to go with it). I will tell you that I have become a HUGE fan of the cab and my plan is that any future tractor purchase will include a cab.

Attachments

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
My question for you is you mention you want to move trees. How big? I bought my B2650HSDC this spring and I can tell you I have a 100 acres, and the largest red pine i have is 120 years old and at least 30 inches in diameter. I cannot lift a 8 foot butt log from a tree that size onto my sawmill. I used my forks to do the lifting, but it weighs more than a grapple from EA. However anything else has been no problem getting on my mill. If you want to know how much a given length log weighs for a given diameter and species, go to Forestryforum.com and use their log weight calculator in their toolbox to see the weights you would encounter. I am pleased with the bh77 backhoe for digging stumps. I have had little trouble taking out a 16" diameter birch stump. It does take more time than a bigger tractor would take, but I have more time than money, so it is not a problem for me.

I have not used my B2650HSDC to skid trees as I want as clean a tree as I can get when put on the mill, so I use a logging arch to transport my logs out of the woods. So I can't tell you how big a tree you could drag with a B2650HSDC. I do plan on getting a EA grapple, and a front mount snowblower early next year, and I feel i will have no problems being undersized with my B2650HSDC.

General

Sep 4, 2019
Altoona, Al
Thanks for the good info. For tree size IÂ’ll stay away from really tall trees , so densely wooded not sure if whey would hit the ground. I believe I would use a grapple to hold logs while I cut for firewood and to pick up all the brush my wife and I do by hand now. My wifeÂ’s idea for a chipper, got to love her. Curious, I do not plan to get a mid deck mower so it the mid mount PTO or controls good for anything else on the B2650? Will never need a snow blower since we shut down and play if we ever see snow. As for budget, never have enough money, or enough time sine work gets in the way.
IÂ’m needing the basement wall dugout to waterproof on three sides about 8Â’ down. IÂ’ve never run a backhoe but catch on quiet. Trying to decide to tackle to task or find someone to do it. Hole 8Â’ deep x 2 1/2Â’ wide x 40Â’ long ( long side)
Wondering how many hours that may take a none expert
Thank you

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
The BH77 is 7.7ft deep max but that might do. Time is the difference between a big and small machine. I got my machine today and so far I have moved about two truck loads of dirt and sh*t. Took about 4-5 hours and that is me learning too.

If you don’t need a mid PTO then the L series will give you more HP for the same money, or the same HP for less. If you main item is the grapple then you need to pay attention to the loader lift capacity. Go big as you can afford and the get a grapple to match.

Piper59

Equipment
L2501 w fel,howse 5ft.bush hog,howse 5ft.bb,piranha TB,MTL Grapple, Titan forks
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
For what its worth,I have a L2501 DT which has the shuttle shift.The pto hp is a little higher than the hst model.This tractor works hard amd I've been surprised on what it can handle.By the way,Im still riding..a 2016 HD Street Glide Special,my 4th.Harley and 5th.motorcycle.Sorry you're no longer riding but you'll enjoy the tractor I can promise you that. Good luck in whatever you decide.

General

Sep 4, 2019
Altoona, Al
Opinion, while looking I’ve run across two tractors with a ft loader and backhoe. On a Grand L3240 a 2009 model less than 150 hours. I haven’t looked at it yet butt wanted to get a price in my head, hard to find one equipped to get a comparable price. Doesn’t look garage kept from the images.
Any thoughts? And aside from looking, checking to see everything works, and there is a lot , and driving any other items for that model to look for.
You guys are great help.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
If not garage kept, probably pass on a 10 year old machine.

IMO the smallest I would go is a L3560 with the upgraded FEL. You are going to be very limited with a B2650 just because of weight and capability.