1982 L245DT crankshaft splines

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
I've been putting new O-rings in for 2 years. I even machined .011 off the pump body. The bronze spacers are worn. Looking in my parts book, shows them not available. Can you get them? A new pump is around $450.00US.
Thanks for the reply.

Milo

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Thanks for the reply. I have attached a photo of the splines.
Not the best photo, but I count 18 splines. Can you confirm please?
I really would like to find the coupler. Otherwise, I'll probably pull the pulley and machine an adapter from it, to the pump.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Milo

Attachments

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
Is there any way to see a picture of that coupler flange Vic. I think I may need 1 for my front pump install as well.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Is there any way to see a picture of that coupler flange Vic. I think I may need 1 for my front pump install as well.
Thanks to Vic for the part number. I did some searching and came up with:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/L295DT.pdf
Look at page 28. Not what I need, but good info for others, I hope.

Also found http://www.yachtsupplydepot.com/eng...kubota-35370-88530-pto-flange/prod_48934.html Looks like a decent price, if your in the market.

My search continues.
Milo

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
I believe I have that coupler it came with that new fel I got. Heres the problem I think this was intended for a l285 or l295 , thier parts books show it as an option but you also have to get the optional front pulley/ harmonic balancer. My l245dt doesn't have any threaded holes to bolt up that coupler. Would the optional lower pulley for an l295 work ?

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
I'm a little confused (nothing new:). From the picture on page 28 of the link I previously posted, it appears that the "optional pulley /pto flange" is still just another 25mm X 18 spline. Just like the one on my crankshaft.
Please hit me with a clue by for :)

Milo

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
Milo, I have that coupler, it is larger than the 25mm that is the front of the crankshaft. The output of the coupler is 35mm with 26 splines. On my unit the hydraulic pump sits in front of the front axle and has about a 1 foot long flexible pto shaft that slides onto the coupler. However the splines on mine are worn to the point of looking like saw teeth on both the coupler and the flex shaft. I have had no luck yet finding a new shaft. The pump I have is made by webster I believe its American built . Any ideas on the pto shaft anyone ?

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
"UPDATE"
I found a source for the 25MM X 18 Spline PTO Adapter. It wasn't cheap, $125.00US. But it will save me a lot of machining work. I hope to be able to machine a "pinch" bolt to the 25MM part (so as to negate wear on the crank splines). I found the PTO adapter at http://catalogs.hubcityinc.com/farmrev/completelist.html. they don't sell direct, but they will hook you up with a local dealer.
Hope this info helps someone.

Milo

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
Milo , This looks like a great way for me to get my pump going as well. With this and a round shaft to 1 3/8 " adaptor and some type of female to female coupler I think i'll be in buisness. Would really like to see how you make the pinch bolt. I was thinking of drilling and tapping a couple set screws.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Milo , This looks like a great way for me to get my pump going as well. With this and a round shaft to 1 3/8 " adaptor and some type of female to female coupler I think i'll be in buisness. Would really like to see how you make the pinch bolt. I was thinking of drilling and tapping a couple set screws.
I'll, post here as I progress. Hope to have the adapter next week.

Milo

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
I picked up the adapter yesterday. After looking at it, I decided to use one of the two existing holes (for the roll pin) for a set screw. Added another hole 90 degrees from the first. Tapped 3/8"x24TPI.

Milo

Attachments

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
UPDATE3
Well, looks like the pump I had on hand, is too large (volume wise)
My tractor will not start (even at full throttle) with the pump connected as shown. I don't have pics yet, but I have installed a "tee" and a bypass hose at the pump outlet. The hose is temporarily just stuck in the trans fill hole. I have a valve on the discharge of the "bypass hose". I can start the tractor now. Then close the valve till I have system pressure. Can't really play with it now because the cooling system is not reconnected. I'll keep you posted.

Milo :)

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Judging from the size of the fittings on that pump I'd agree with you that it is much to large for the tractor. This will create two other problems besides making your machine hard to start. #1 It will be impossible for the stock oil filter and pipe to deliver enough oil to the pump leading to starvation (cavitation) of the pump. #2 the loader valve and TPH valve will not be able to handle the flow leading to extreme pressures and possible componant failure. That is not to mention the Heat that will be created from pumping all that oil. That pump would work is you mounted a gear reducer and cut it's speed way back.
Ed

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
re: the heat /cavitation issue.
I was hoping to avoid that by not completely closing the bypass hose.
I am worried about too much aeration of the bypassed fluid.
The quest continues:) Thanks for the reply
Milo

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The bypass line could address the extreme pressure issue but it won't correct the cavitation unless you return the oil to the suction side of the pump. the problem with this approach is that you will still generate much to much heat! The wasted energy used to create pressure and pump the excess
volume will be converted directly into heat ( and I would think some noise!)
The formula for hydraulic horsepower is HP=gpm x psi / 1714.
If your pump puts out 20 gpm and you need 2000 psi the engine must produce 23.33 hp. Even if you recycle 15 of those gpm the pump still must produce it and you will have 17.5 hp being converted directly into heat!:eek:
This is one of the deficiencies of open center hydraulics.
Ed

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The formula I offered doesn't take pump efficiency into account which only makes the problem worse. You will need to slow that pump down or get a smaller one.
Ed