How do you fill your tank?

kjbllc

Equipment
l3301
Jan 13, 2020
FRANKFORD
Ok this may seem a bit silly but , having a bad back the whole lugging the container and holding the lever down for 10 minutes ( maybe not that long) for the diesel to sloooooowly make it into the tank is bugging me.
has anyone tried the kerosene pumps , or the shake shipon gizmos . like to know of any solutions or idea to this problem thanks kevin

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Re: how do you fill you tank?

Normally, I fill from my 500 gallon farm tank but I have in the past, had to put in fuel in the field. I use a HF battery powered transfer pump with rechargeable batteries. Only 10 bucks at HF and for a pinch, they work well.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com

Thank You NIW for the links. With my last week's rotator cuff surgery, I was trying to figure out how I was going to refuel the sawmill whose 6 gallon diesel is ~4' high. I found the solution which of course will also be my new Kubota way.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH

Ah, but we love to talk about how we refuel!

Mentioned it in the other threads, but I used to refuel from 5 gallon cans. I'm relatively young and don't have back problems but I still hated holding the cans up into the fuel fill in the hot sun while it did take seemingly forever for the diesel to drain out. I bit the bullet and bought a 60 gallon transfer tank and Fill-Rite electric pump with auto shut off nozzle. Worth every penny.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

Have a 600 and a 275 gallon bulk tanks, one on each side of the farm. A 55 and a 105 gallon L step for truck beds with electric pumps and auto shut off nozzles on everything.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe a bit stone age, but I got a blue plastic 55 gallon drum, and a crank pump from HF. I do fill the drum out of 5 gallon cans though, so thats a PIA but once it is filled or partly filled your good to go,, I put in an algae side and diesel additive. No fancy nozzle or anything just some tigon hose and crank away ,,OH and I did try putting it on a HF 4 wheeled dolly, it worked well as long as it was about half full less than that it was a little unstable, never did figure out how to mount it

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
2 bucks more gets you the HF battery powered transfer pump.:D

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Some people on here mentioned having 500, 600 gallon tanks. A truck coming and filling that thing? How economical is that? I have a truck come fill my 1000 gallon propane tank. Would love to have a 500 gallon diesel tank filled the same way. As it stands, I have 8 VP Racing 5 gallon cans and it seems I'm always making trips to the station.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I got interested in this topic because of my recent shoulder surgery and an additional 4 more weeks of having the arm in a sling and immobilized. Fueling the tractor is one thing, but fueling the sawmill is even more of a challenge.

Some recommendations led me to buy this: Harbor Freight 12v Diesel Transfer Pump An online 20% Coupon knocked it back to $104.00

I wondered about the 3/4" hose, but I should not have been concerned. It immediately pressurized the hose/nozzle and emptied a 5 gallon Diesel can in the advertised 30 seconds!! :eek:

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have grown weary of plastic fuel jugs cracking so I got these: Metal Fuel Cans

Of course they were green, but I painted them Yellow.
I bought a set of those so-called “NATO” gas cans...only to discover their nozzles and caps are so cheaply made they leak fuel all over when you try to pour fuel out of them. I gave them away. $100 wasted.

US made plastic fuel containers don’t give me any problem and some of the ones I’ve had since 1976 (RubberMaid).

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
For many years, I had a Gas Boy electric pump mounted in the garage, and it was plumbed into my underground fuel storage tank. I removed the tank last year, and in preparation for its removal, I pumped the tank dry with an electric filtering pump that I borrowed from a friend that has a sea going boat. I filled a 55 gallon steel drum, and he took the rest home with him. The 55 gallons will be enough to keep my tractor going for a few years. I fill a 5 gallon plastic tank about half way, and use a hand held pump to fill the small tank. I might put an electric transfer pump on the drum and that way, I won't have to deal with the inefficiencies of my present method.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I got interested in this topic because of my recent shoulder surgery and an additional 4 more weeks of having the arm in a sling and immobilized. Fueling the tractor is one thing, but fueling the sawmill is even more of a challenge.

Some recommendations led me to buy this: Harbor Freight 12v Diesel Transfer Pump An online 20% Coupon knocked it back to $104.00

I wondered about the 3/4" hose, but I should not have been concerned. It immediately pressurized the hose/nozzle and emptied a 5 gallon Diesel can in the advertised 30 seconds!! :eek:
How controllable is the flow? I would like to pump fuel from a 5 gal container into a Mr Funnel filter that is held over the fuel tank. Too fast a flow and it would splash everywhere, and have to lift funnel every so often to see if tank is full yet.

magnum63

Equipment
bx 2380
Dec 29, 2019
NC
How controllable is the flow? I would like to pump fuel from a 5 gal container into a Mr Funnel filter that is held over the fuel tank. Too fast a flow and it would splash everywhere, and have to lift funnel every so often to see if tank is full yet.
Sheepfarmer,I use a battery operated hand held pump that I got from Harbor Freight. It was about $10.00 and use D batteries if I remember correctly.I use a 5 gallon can and pump it thru a Mr Funnel.It works good.I have a BX so my tank filler is on the side so not hard to get to.

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
100 gallon transfer tank & pump
TexasBoy

I love your set up. A good quality, large quantity metal tank securely attached to a well made palate; tough, large capacity pump thats well filtered; large capacity filler hose.

My set up has one additional unit - a hand crank pump. I try to always have a back up that doesnt depend on something that can be taken away.

Oh, and a dedicated CO2 Class B Fire extinguisher kept right with the unit.

Lift the whole unit into the back of the truck with the forks, drive to the CoOp and filler her up with dyed-red diesel, return and replace in her assigned location, treat the fuel with appropriate seasonal additives and Im ready for hundreds of hours of tractor therapy time.

Experience will fine tune how much you use vs how much you feel comfortable keeping on hand. Usually too much is never enough - if you have two you have one, if you have one you have none – but diesel has environmental and biological issues and a freshness date.

Again, great set up.

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I used to help out on the family farm... They offered me the task of filling the tractor with diesel before heading out for the days work in the fields. I jumped at the chance to help out.

They moved the HUGE 4x4 JD 8100 tractor over to the fuel-tanks and put the nozzle into the tank (the dual tires on all 4 wheels were over 6 feet tall) my job was to TURN A HAND CRANK until the tractor was full.

I was cranking that pump for over 30 minutes to put over 100 gallons in that big tractor. My arms felt like rubber....we all got a laugh from that one :p

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

It won’t help the splashing but there are high flow Mr. Funnels that you will probably have to order. They just add more of the vertical filters to increase the flow.

You can also get a probe type camera that hooks to your smartphone to see how full the tank is getting if you really want to get fancy. The camera is cheap, usually under $20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk