Think I'm done.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Think I am done with the BX25. In short, I have been dissapointed with it for a long time, and have been putting up with it to long. Just not sure what to replace it with? I really don't want a "Large" tractor. The size of the BX is fine, the capabilities are not.
Just so I am clear, my areas of frustration are:

1. The Loader lift Capacity
2. The Bucket Curl Capacity
3. Hydraulic speeds in General
4. No Power to run in high range
5. Small Front tires leaking constantly (although now fixed)
6. Difficulty installing front loader (I will never remove it again)
7. Difficulty installing MMM

From My Perspective, the BX was designed to Mow a lawn, move a small load of Bark, and dig up a water meter box. It will do more, but unwillingly because as designed, it is not really a true tractor.

I also realize that I don't want another TLB. Just a tractor.
BTW- I know a lot of you guys own one and love it. I mean this as no insult to you. Just need something that can work a little bit.

Dgas47

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Nov 28, 2018
McKees Rocks, PA, USA
I have a B2601 and although the lift capacity could be higher (B2650 would be be perfect) I can still move 1,400 pounds of firewood 3' - 4' off the ground as shown. I was also able to lift full buckets (60" light materials bucket) of river rock to max height to dump over a fence.

I chose the B2601 over the B2650 because the B2601 was lighter. I keep my lawn like a golf course so minimizing turf damage was my top priority.

Attachments

Last edited:

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
What are you trying to do with it where you find it inadequate if you don't want a bigger tractor?

I have a BX23. I want to upgrade to a B2601 or B2650, but honestly I've gotten a lot of substantial jobs done with my BX23.

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Are you put off of the BX series entirely, or just that specific model? At work we had a major contractor doing some sewer and utility line work on our lot across the street next to a building and fence line. I was surprised to see them digging it all out with a BX. They did a job I would have expected to see a Cat or a yellow Deere to take on, I assume they needed more finesse and maneuverability to avoid collateral damage above ground and destroying the pipes and lines that were still in good condition. I was quite impressed, honestly. Well, have fun tractor shopping! Funner than the car and truck lots...

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
My BX2660 does ok in my book but is limited due to size. It sounds to me that your expectations can't be met with something this size. Get into a larger tractor or better yet buy a skidloader for loader work as that is what it takes. I also own Bobcat and a Case 580 Super E tlb and have stalled the loader on all of them. You could up the hydraulic pressure to improve the issues as some have done but it is still a small machine. I hope your next machine suits your needs better.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
According to the article in this link the D902 engine is rated to run at 3600 RPM. From the factory I think that the D902 engine in tractors is set to 3200 RPM. You may be able to get better performance from your tractor by bumping up the RPMs in your tractor to 3600. That should give you higher operating pressures in your hydraulic system and so better FEL performance.

https://dieselparts.com.au/engines/d902/

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Do you still need the tractor to mow? If yes would you consider a finish mower for the rear?

Lift capacity bumps are significant from the BX to the B2601 or B2650. If it fits your budget and maneuverability needs the B2650 is more machine.

Also dont expect a tractor to have the same hydraulic speeds as a Mini-Ex. If so you will always be disappointed.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
If you like the size, how about the B2301 or B2601? Not sure how the lifting capacities differ though.

I would ditch the MMM personally and get a rear mount. Never liked them on anything with a FEL anyways. It is just something to get hung up on.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I really like my B2650
I really had no clue about capacities and such when I was looking/buying late last Summer (I actually bought the 2650 instead of the 2601 because it wasn't that much more expensive, and "50" had to be better than "01")!!!

Next time, having begun this adventure in tractor and equipment ownership and use, I'll have the experience and research to (hopefully) make as good of a choice, not just get lucky!

I stayed away from the >30hp group simply for the regeneration issue.

I would go with a B2650

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
OP, one of the B Series models may cover the food groups you need of dimensions, capacities, maneuverability & weight. Tractors seem to shrink once you get them home.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I'm not discounting the original poster's experience, but it's so different from my own that, for the sake of anyone considering a BX and coming across this thread, I feel compelled to share my personal experience.

With 5 hilly, wooded acres; a house heated primarily with wood; a desire to maintain trails and control erosion; snow removal; and a gravel driveway in need of regular maintenance: I can easily justify owning a tractor, and a B series would have been a very good match for many of my needs. But I wanted a machine that would also be my lawn mower, and be able to fit through some narrow trails and gates connecting different parts of my property.

I went with the smallest BX available--the BX1870 at the time--in order to get the narrowest mid-mount deck, 48". Smaller was better in terms of getting around my trails and garden areas. But I was worried that I'd feel short changed on bucket lift and other non-mower tasks.

Coming up on three years of ownership, I have been more than happy with the tractor part of the equation, in addition to the mowing performance. My 48" bucket has no issues being filled to overflowing with fresh cut oak, and moving full loads of dirt. I've only had one session moving gravel, and don't recall exactly how full the bucket was, but I was not disappointed. The one lift capacity issue I experienced was trying to lift a pallet containing my Mackissic wood chipper out of semi truck bed with clamp on forks. I got it to work, but barely. But use as a forklift isn't something I regularly need.

All of the above bucket work has required ballast on the back end, usually my box blade or carry-all, and my rear tires have beet juice. But thus equipped, my BX has amazed me with it's bucket capabilities.

And the 3PH capacity has also impressed. I can lift enough that it'll do a wheelie if I don't have the loader on with some weight in it.

The areas where I have felt constrained are with losing traction due to overall weight and the fact that I have turf tires. Also rear PTO horsepower, which limits my wood chipper capacity and my potential rear rotary mower width (though I don't own one yet). There I'd be better served by a B series tractor.

But given that I also wanted a narrow, relatively light (to not crush my topsoil) lawn mower, the BX has been fantastic. No doubt it's not enough tractor for many folks. But it's been extremely capable for my purposes.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
@Jack-
I bought my BX due to physical size at the time as well.

Since I wrote this post, I have discovered how limited my choices are. In the beginning it was the BX25 vs GC1720. The BX won due to Lack of availability of GC,Plug and Play 3rd function, and Grapple. At that time the JD 1025 was over priced. I went and looked at them yesterday. I really dont like them. I don't know why, but I just don't.

Yanmar, LS, Mahindra,Kioti are out too. - Overpriced, 3rd world, poorly finished machines IMHO.

Right now, I think to do my work I should get something like a SVL75 on the used market. I see a lot of them for around 35k. That would be 4X that machine as a B Series which would be near 30k if I remember correctly. The hitch is do I keep the BX for those in between things and Mowing the occasional lawn at our rentals? Seems pretty expensive just have hanging around. There is also the fact on implements that I would need to replace.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Do you need to trailer that SVL anywhere? How about mowing? It weighs over 9000 lbs.

With your U25, seems like a B2650 loader and ZT mower combo would be in order. Trifecta!

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I really don't see how you're going to successfully get a tractor with the capabilities of a big tractor, without it being "big"... At least by comparison to a BX. A lot of what makes a tractor capable, is having the weight to lift and move good sized loads. If the BX had a more capable front loader, it'd just tip over from lack of weight. Even still, you have to watch that you have ballast and heavy attachments on the rear of a larger tractors.

I'd look at maybe the entry level MX. Think it is the MX4800

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
It is important to research the product you want to buy before you buy it.
I once wanted a small car...then it was too small.
I once wanted a big car...then it was too big.
I wanted a car for fuel economy....it was too slow.
I wanted a fast car.....couldn't afford the gas.

I doubt there is anything perfect for anyone.
Unless of course you believe everything you are told.....then it just won't matter.

The options are endless because of a free / open market. But not every option works for everyone. The most important thing you can get out of life is a learning experience.
Everything else is worthless.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
My experience and suggestions:
I had an early 70s L (1500lb) and now have a kioti CK35(4300lb w/ loader). Use them mainly on 25 acre horse farm but have brought them to my 2 acre house. I have of course used 'garden tractors' in the past as well.

I doubt there is one 'easy' answer, or all purpose machine.

the L175 was bigger than a garden tractor. Deck change was old school but I hated it. Had to take it off to use the 3point or pto for anything. It was a driver over and I got pretty good at it (aka, less swearing). It's why I didn't even consider a MMM for the kioti.

Lift 'capacity'..it's a LOADER...so I keep being told. I get your pain..mine is a 5' wide bucket holds about 2 wheel barrow loads of dirt/etc. I can think that a BX is what, 1 wheel barrow load?
I can lift 1000lbs (measured) with no back weight. Never an issue with the bucket,but forks..yeah. Capable of 1800lbs they say.

Size..the kubota was OK on 2 acres. the kioti feels like a bull in a china shop and in the barn even more so. It turns tighter and has P/S which the kubota lacked, but still...tight.

I've done a lot of brush hogging (main reason I got the tractor) and am working on getting a 3pt finish mower - it's faster/more economical to run the 35hp diesel than the 20hp gas mower. Not sure i'm gonna like mowing next to the fence..but we'll see. It's why I have a mirror, right?

Hi range (kioti has 3 ranges) is a road gear only. Don't try and do work in it, pull a load or climb a hill.

Hydraulic speeds..it seemed fast when I got it - now I'm used to it and yeah, seem slow, but my only comparison was a skid steer - 3X the price..not a fair comparison. Compared to a shovel, rake and wheel barrow though...it's faster and a lot easier on the back.

My bucket is quick attach - easy peasy to change. ONLY way to go!

As for a replacement...

Bigger, more HP can do more work, or the same work faster. Downside is cost and physical size. Bigger is better BUT it's all a compromise. I can mow hills and do things with the kioti in complete confidence that scared the beejesus out of me in the smaller kubota. BUT i've had more ROPS hitting limbs with the bigger tractor. Implements are bigger - heavier, costlier.

For instance, I went from a 4' brush hog to a 6' one...450lb to 850lb, 5' long to nearly 9' long. turning around takes a LOT more room. And it cost 50% more to purchase.

I'd like a bx for some things..deck would stay on, in barn work and some things it would be more convenient..but what, $12K for that? Hard to swallow.
Think I am done with the BX25. In short, I have been dissapointed with it for a long time, and have been putting up with it to long. Just not sure what to replace it with? I really don't want a "Large" tractor. The size of the BX is fine, the capabilities are not.

From My Perspective, the BX was designed to Mow a lawn, move a small load of Bark, and dig up a water meter box. It will do more, but unwillingly because as designed, it is not really a true tractor.

BTW- I know a lot of you guys own one and love it. I mean this as no insult to you. Just need something that can work a little bit.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
I looked at deere (terrible unfriendly dealers here), kubota 01 models - way stripped, rural king (TYM) - don't want a big box level of support and a store branded machine). MF was pricey online, didn't get to NH as I ran into kioti first.

Quality, well built/engineered, well priced, good warranty. CK3510HST, similar to L33 I guess, for $3500 ish less, and the options are less expensive as well - rear remoted $295 not $900. Quick attach bucket and level indicator included, grab handles on both fenders..little things but they aren't trying to nickel and dime their customers.

I paid 21,400, tractor, options, loader. Don't need a hoe and for $7500 I can rent an excavator when I need it, or hire out the work.

Most small farmers here run a size up - 45hp and a frame bigger than the CK (or L). I"m happy with the size I got, the price I paid, what it can do. Would the DK have been better? Hard to say- I've done everything i've wanted/needed to do, and it's a tight fit in places.. a bigger unit would make that worse yet. It was nice going into places with the L175 and 4' brush hog...I do miss it at times.

@Jack-
I bought my BX due to physical size at the time as well.

Since I wrote this post, I have discovered how limited my choices are. In the beginning it was the BX25 vs GC1720. The BX won due to Lack of availability of GC,Plug and Play 3rd function, and Grapple. At that time the JD 1025 was over priced. I went and looked at them yesterday. I really dont like them. I don't know why, but I just don't.

Yanmar, LS, Mahindra,Kioti are out too. - Overpriced, 3rd world, poorly finished machines IMHO.

Right now, I think to do my work I should get something like a SVL75 on the used market. I see a lot of them for around 35k. That would be 4X that machine as a B Series which would be near 30k if I remember correctly. The hitch is do I keep the BX for those in between things and Mowing the occasional lawn at our rentals? Seems pretty expensive just have hanging around. There is also the fact on implements that I would need to replace.

Bill15kv

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 7, 2018
Vermont

I don’t disagree thats its a heavy garden tractor on steroids but after being a heavy equipment operator for years I was surprised at the capability’s of a machine this small.
I was also a bit dismayed that it couldn’t break a bucket full of wet sand out of a pile, so I turned up the hydraulics [emoji16]. They are set at 1750 from the factory, I’m now at 2200 and am much happier with performance. Backhoe will also throw the machine around now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo

Flienlow,

If you are truely that dissatisified with it, send it to me in Southwest Missouri. I'll pay the shipping. PM me for the address to send it. I WILL put it to very good use here.

Dave

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I don***8217;t disagree thats its a heavy garden tractor on steroids but after being a heavy equipment operator for years I was surprised at the capability***8217;s of a machine this small.
I was also a bit dismayed that it couldn***8217;t break a bucket full of wet sand out of a pile, so I turned up the hydraulics [emoji16]. They are set at 1750 from the factory, I***8217;m now at 2200 and am much happier with performance. Backhoe will also throw the machine around now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only Kubota I can compare this BX to is a 1980 B7100 that my grandfather used to own. It was hands down a stronger more capable machine. No, it wasn't big iron, but it would do a lot for what it was. I thought for a sure the BX was the modern interpretation of that tractor with the addition of a backhoe. My Personal opinion is that it is not. We would get that stuck on logs, deep in the mud, you name it. We could always count on the loader bucket curl to get us unstuck.

I removed all of the shims out of my BX and run close to 2200lbs of pressure. I did notice any improvement what so ever, but maybe that is just me.
I think I am going to rent a SVL75 for a project I have and see how good it is. I was on a 95 and that thing was pretty ridiculous.