B2601 Brush Attachment

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Good morning everyone. I have had the B2601 now since November 2019 and absolutely loving it, was the best purchase I could’ve made for my 5 acres. As we’re rolling into spring I’m wanting to clear all my underbrush before it gets too bad. It’s probably 4 acres of woods and the underbrush is all less than 3 inches with the exception of some downed trees that I will need to clear up prior. I was thinking a flail mower for the fact of having to get in tighter spots (I have all big pines and cedar) however will a flail mower handle this job? I obviously would do everything to ensure I’m not going over anything more than 2.5-3 inches just to ensure not to screw things up but didn’t know if that could handle the job. I have plenty of time on my hands so I don’t need everything cleared at once and I enjoy just getting out on the tractor anyways, so going slow and steady is not a concern for me. Thanks again, and hope everyone is staying safe.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A flail with the right blades will chew right through it, you would just need to take your time. ;)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have a 54" flail mower that i got from BETSCO last year. It works pretty well for the kinds of stuff you describing. I'd suggest looking at their stuff (I believe they are currently offering 20% off) and they include shipping.

The unit I got was the FHM-EFG 135. That's a medium duty unit. If you need any more details, let me know.

As wolfman posted, if you are going to pull the trigger on a flail mower, be sure to get one with "hammers" instead of the "Y" blades.

Here's pic of the hammers.

Attachments

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Thank you both, much appreciated. I called Betsco and looks like he was wanting to put me in a 48” medium duty flail mower for a really good deal with the hammer blades. I think I may go that route. My Kubota dealership was telling me to not get one cause the B2601 wasn’t powerful enough to handle a flail mower, and I do respect his opinion and understand, however I have seen many people with them with this size tractor which is why I was trying to get some insight from here. I understand it’s not just going to blast through everything and I will need to take my time with it, but I love being on the tractor and have all the time on my hands. Thanks again for replies.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
You shouldn't have any trouble at all with the 4 footer. We have just about the same PTO horsepower (I may have a bit more torque) and I have no trouble with the 53". I can pretty easily over rev it.

For lots of woods work, the 48" should do fine and will be a bit more maneuverable. They run about 6" wider than the listed cutting width.

Enjoy.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
not sure how tight your woods are, but mine are very tight. Similar sized property. Last year I bought a LP RCR1242, this thing is pretty skinny, you can maneuver it into all sorts of places, and it does a great job. Was not that expensive either. They make several incremental sizes up from the 42", that may also be a great fit for your B.

I use it for grass overgrowth (3') and its primary job was oak saplings, and overgrowth initially, made very short work of it.

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Wow B737 very nice, I better not let my tractor see that picture of your garage!

Just curious Don, at 2.5"-3" diameter how tall are the saplings that you'll be cutting? I suppose the tractor will bow them over as you run over them.....

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hey Oliver. Honestly that would be at the extreme 2.5-3 inches and I would try to avoid running too many of those over. I have a lot of small saplings (cedars, holly’s, etc) under the canopy of the large pines and Cedars. I would say majority of them would be closer to the 1-1.5 inch diameter. I can for the most part just run them over now with the bucket and ratchet rake, it’s just continually pulling them all out the woods and burning them. I would like to get in there and just chop them up.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Good morning everyone. It's been awhile since I posted to this specific topic, I recently purchased the Betstco Flail mower and waiting for it to come in. Once I take it out and clear some underbrush in the woods I will make sure to reply and post pics. Thanks again for everyone's input, its much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Good morning everyone. It's been awhile since I posted to this specific topic, I recently purchased the Betstco Flail mower and waiting for it to come in. Once I take it out and clear some underbrush in the woods I will make sure to reply and post pics. Thanks again for everyone's input, its much appreciated.
Which model/size did you wind up getting? Y blades or hammers?

Reactions: 1 user

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Which model/size did you wind up getting? Y blades or hammers?
Hey Dirtydeed. I went with the FH-EFGC 105 41 inch Heavy duty with hammer blades. I thought of going larger but I’m going to be using it 100% of the time in the woods, in tighter areas, and exclusively mulching up saplings and brush. Time also isn’t a factor as the key is to over time clear everything out to where the property is more like a “park setting” for the kids. I figured the heavy duty for what I’m going to be doing probably made most sense but I wanted to ensure the tractor could handle it as well. Hopefully that was the right call.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi guys,
What is the functional difference between the hammers and the Y blades?
I have seen photos of each but have no experience with either. I may buy a small, 40” flail tomorrow and it has the Y blades.
Thanks.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hey Lencho,
I’m definitely not the expert with them however I know the hammer blades seem to be primarily used for cutting through your thicker vegetation etc. whereas the Y blades seem to be more of a finesse cut. The others on here however can probably provide better detail/clarity. Good luck with it if you choose to buy it. Mine will be in next week and I’m excited about it.

Hi guys,
What is the functional difference between the hammers and the Y blades?
I have seen photos of each but have no experience with either. I may buy a small, 40” flail tomorrow and it has the Y blades.
Thanks.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I went with the FH-EFGC 105 41 inch Heavy duty with hammer blades.
Don what made you get the heavy-duty one vs the regular one? The HD is about 200 pounds heavier.
Im thinking of maybe selling my LP brush hog for the regular duty version of the Flail mower from Betsco.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Don what made you get the heavy-duty one vs the regular one? The HD is about 200 pounds heavier.
Im thinking of maybe selling my LP brush hog for the regular duty version of the Flail mower from Betsco.
Hey B737,

The main reason I went with a heavy duty and smaller size was for the way I was going to be primarily using it. I'm exclusively using this just for my woods and keeping the underbrush cleaned out, it's also tight in a lot of areas. After talking with the Betstco dealers they suggested since I'm only using this in the woods, a heavier duty flail mower and a heavier hammer blade is what I most likely needed. The hammers are 27 ounces verses the typical 14ish ounces on the normal duty. They said this would help in dealing with the thicker brush and saplings I will encounter. I will definitely update you guys on how it works next week.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
ah ha, ok I didnt know the hammer blades had different weights. very helpful information.

I used my Land Pride RCR1242 to clear about 3 acres of underbrush. It works great on brush, but does a crappy job with making grass look presentable. I'm not going for golf course, but something between finish cut and brush hog. The flail mower seems to fit that gap perfectly, at least by looking at the videos. When buying a rotary cutter or flail, they come in at nearly the same prices, I wish I had learned this sooner.

Looking forward to your coming updates

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Hey Dirtydeed. I went with the FH-EFGC 105 41 inch Heavy duty with hammer blades. I thought of going larger but I’m going to be using it 100% of the time in the woods, in tighter areas, and exclusively mulching up saplings and brush. Time also isn’t a factor as the key is to over time clear everything out to where the property is more like a “park setting” for the kids. I figured the heavy duty for what I’m going to be doing probably made most sense but I wanted to ensure the tractor could handle it as well. Hopefully that was the right call.
Good choice. I think you'll be pleased.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
I got the mower in yesterday and plan to put it together and test it out today. My only worry is I’m a newbie to tractors and didn’t realize there’s a chance I may have to cut the PTO shaft they sent me to fit the tractor. That concerns me a tad cause I don’t won’t to measure incorrectly and jack it up. Any tricks/tips to that guys?