PTO length

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The question I would have is... does the shaft lengthen or shorten...during the raising and lowering of the implement. If 1-3/4” is the shortest distance experienced then you should be OK... But raising the implement...might actually cause binding as the implement is raised.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
so, you have 1-1/4" of free play before bottoming out? As George posted, I'd leave the PTO off and raise the tiller to full 3pt lift height. Check the distance there. That's where you typically run into issues (with the 3 pt lifted to full height).

The simple way is to just measure the distance from the locking groove of the PTO shaft on the tractor to the locking groove on the implement. Check it while raised, and at operating height.

Many youtube video's on how to measure/cut shafts.

just saw your second post...i think you got it right.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
The simple way is to just measure the distance from the locking groove of the PTO shaft on the tractor to the locking groove on the implement. Check it while raised, and at operating height.
-------
This is what I did with the new to me used snow blower we got. I measured full up and several increments to full down to normal operating level.

Normal use level was the shortest of the measurements. I cut the shaft to give about 2" of free room from the end of the tractor pto shaft. This gave maximum engagement, with enough room to hook up the shaft at normal operating level. Still leaving good engagement at full height.

Full height is useful as sometimes here you need to take down drifts in layers..

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If it was me I would remove the plastic safety shield and worry about the steel shafts first, then cut the safety shields as much as the steel were cut.

I really don’t understand what the picture was showing though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk