ROPS light switch

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
Pretty sure I know the answer, but I've got a pretty basic 2-position switch to turn my aftermarket ROPS lights on & off. I can't help but think I should have a waterproof or specialty switch instead?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
Waterproof prevent internals of the switch from corroding and making false contact. If you have a relay somewhere in the circuit and a fuse, you are covered. Just replace switch if and when it fails. Otherwise get one rated IP67 or better for an exposed location like that.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
Waterproof prevent internals of the switch from corroding and making false contact. If you have a relay somewhere in the circuit and a fuse, you are covered. Just replace switch if and when it fails. Otherwise get one rated IP67 or better for an exposed location like that.
It's fused through the accessory (lights) power wire already installed on my BX23S, so I should be good there. My main concern is water bridging the metal tabs between the poles on the back of the switch...I guess all it could really do is turn the lights 'on' through the conductivity, if there was enough water to support the current flow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It really should have a rubber booty on it OR use the 'liquid rubber' used to coat pliers and cutters handles.
Even a few wraps of electrical tape on EACH post, then around both is better than nothing. Nail polish works very well,5-10 coats.
You need to seal the connections. Over time moisture,not just rain or splashes,corrodes the mating surfaces of dissimilar metals. Yes, takes a long time but it's doing it 24/7...

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I wouldn't recommend using bare terminals for power connections in exposed areas. A little heat shrink will give you some protection.

I'd also suggest using an automotive power relay to feed the light circuit and insulated spade terminals. Then you can mount your switch somewhere easier to reach and protect like on your dashboard.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
you can install them into a waterproof / resistant project box, attach it to the back of the SMV sign bracket

BManFX4

Equipment
BX2380, RCK60B, LandPride RTA1250, CountyLine RC5, Titan BX42S Chipper
Apr 14, 2020
Loudon, TN
Buy a proper, waterproof switch. This unit has leads - you can connect your wiring to it, solder it and heat shrink it. That will provide a lifetime, worry-free connection.

Waterproof Switch

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Marine switches are made for wet environments. Your local boat dealer or marine supply will have them.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I purchased a power amp wiring kit from Walmart (replaced 80 amp fuse with 60 amp fuse) and used the 12v connector found on winches and electric pallet jacks (buy from fork lift dealer 3 connectors around $22, $21 each from superwinch reseller).

I used a 10 circuit fused power distribution block from NAPA and a watertight box. Using 5 circuits, other side holding spare fuses. Used watertight switches and the rubber boots.

Box has 2 mounting magnets from Harbor Freight. Water won't flow uphill, drill wiring access holes in the bottom

Built an Aluminum mount out of 80-20 extruded aluminum double sided tape and cork to protect ROPS paint job.

A cheap jumper cable with the same connector makes it easy to jump start tractor or car.

Attachments

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
I put my ROPS light switches on the right side of the seat. Those are water-proof marine switches.