Kubota B2650, cab model. How to attach an take off an implement on the rear PTO

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
Although I have owned a tractor for 12 years, and recently purchased a Kubota B2650, I am ashamed to admit I have never put an implement on the rear PTO.

I want to learn how to do this. I always paid the dealer to put the implement on and take if off. This year I will be using a flail mower and a spreader and can***8217;t keep running to the dealer and I want to do this myself.

Any good videos, words of wisdom? Step by step instructions?

I feel like a complete idiot.

Than you for any advice. :eek:

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Back it up and lower the three point arms till they are inline with the implement attach the lower links, then the top link.
Lift the implement slightly off the ground.
Pull out the PTO shaft and extend to tractor, either push the release the pin or pull back on the release collar (depending on style of PTO collar lock), slide the shaft onto the PTO shaft, push till locks in place, pull back to confirm it locked, then go to work.

You may need to adjust the top link to get the Flail mower to sit level and work properly.

NEVER put yourself in between the tractor and the three point.
NEVER get off the tractor with the PTO running.
NEVER work around or allow anything to touch a spinning PTO shaft.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Try watching "Tractor Mike" on youtube. He has pretty good videos.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I suggest that you just take the pto shaft to the tractor and attach it and remove it a few times to practice. You may want to take a few written notes to keep handy. That way you have plenty of room to get to the tractor, which you won’t have when the implement is attached.

Do NOT have the tractor started, have the key out of the ignition, a pto shaft that is loose at the implement end will be a death machine if the pto were to spin at any speed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
First of all, there's no need to feel like an idiot! Every one of us has been in your shoes....just at different ages. And we still ask questions when we're stumped!!

In attaching the PTO shaft to the tractor's pto stub: they're usually one of three common types and once you put one on it's like riding a bike. Once you slip the pto shaft on up to the point it stops, you'll need to release the safety catch to push it on until it's securely latched in place. To release it you may have to push a little button in on the side of the collar and push the shaft on til it latches. Or...the outer collar may rotate a few degrees (usually ccw) and then it gets pushed on. Or on some the collar needs to be pulled rearward while pushing the shaft forward until it snaps into place.

You just have to look at your pto shaft and see what you need to do to release the safety catch type you have. If its sticky.....clean it and lube it.

Once you have that mastered, hook the implement up to the tractor (engine off!) and connect the pto shaft. It's easier to connect the pto shaft when both ends are level with each other. If the implement isn't level (front to back) adjust the top link. Not level side to side: adjust the right side lift rod. If your implement isn't setting on level ground, start connecting the left side up first. then you can adjust the right side lift rod to allow that connection to be made. follow up with the top link. Then the PTO. If necessary, you can start the tractor up and raise the implement to aid in connecting the pto shaft if there's to much of a difference in height and the connections are stiff. But shut engine off first. Once implement is on the tractor you may have to make adjustments to level everything up again according to the manual.

Take your time, be safe, use your head and think about what you need to do to correct any misalignment (one step at a time) and you'll soon be a pro! :D

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
If you are ever attaching a pto driven implement that you have not used before you must make sure that the pto shaft is the correct length or serious damage can occur. There are numerous videos online showing how to ensure that the pto shaft is the correct length or the procedure how to shorten the pto shaft.

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
My tractor is with the dealer right now. And the dealer has shown me how to attach the PTO. When the tractor is brought back they will give me more lessons.

Reactions: 1 user

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
If you need to rotate the pto shaft to line up with the rear 3 pt attatchment, put pto lever in mid pto setting, the pto will rotate with your help about a 1/4 turn enabeling the splines to line up. I forgot that one and eventually broke down and called the dealer, duhhhh on my part,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
I have some seasonal PTO equipment, my only pointers would be to change the gearbox oil at the beginning of the season and also, typically the tractor end of the shaft will pull right out of the implement. do this and clean that slider, apply light grease and also make sure the locking mechinism is well oiled and moves freely. If its sticky, it makes hooking up a real pain. Its all easy to clean when not connected, also clean and lube before you park it so it won't rust up when stored for the off season.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you need to rotate the pto shaft to line up with the rear 3 pt attatchment, put pto lever in mid pto setting, the pto will rotate with your help about a 1/4 turn enabeling the splines to line up. I forgot that one and eventually broke down and called the dealer, duhhhh on my part,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I certainly hope that tractor is NOT RUNNING if you do that!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I activate my rear PTO lever all the time when hooking up any driven implement. All Kubota's (that I know about) allow a 1/4 free turn on the shaft before the pto brake restricts rotation, but it may not be enough. Engaging the lever will allow unlimited rotation of the stub shaft as it released the brake.

Yes George with the engine off....lol

On my tractors, I run an over running coupler on the pto on implements that don't have a built into the driveline clutch. Saves wear in the pto brake (which can only be accessed by splitting the tractor) btw.

Case in point, my batwing chopper. The pto will cease rotation long before the chopper blades stop rotating.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I didn't notice anyone here mention the 3-point hitch lowering speed knob. I find it useful to open it up when attaching/detaching implements as it makes the arms easy to lower by hand while the engine is off.
Then once the implement is fully connected, adjust the knob according to what the implement needs.
I slow the lowering speed with my chipper attached so it doesn't clunk down hard when lowered to the ground to use.
I let the rotary mower down faster so it more easily follows uneven contours.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I twist that knob out of habit every time I get in the cab. You need to twist it often or it will seize up and then there is hell to pay to get it freed up again.