Secondary Air Filter Element

rancher1524

Equipment
Tractor LX4020 B3350SU
May 11, 2016
Evans, Washington
My Kubota B3350SU has a Primary and Secondary Air Filter Element. Both should be replaced every year. The Secondary Filter Element looks to be made out of Stainless Steel. Why can't the Secondary Air Filter be cleaned. The Primary Air Filter can be washed up to 6 times a year before replacing.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My Kubota B3350SU has a Primary and Secondary Air Filter Element. Both should be replaced every year. The Secondary Filter Element looks to be made out of Stainless Steel. Why can't the Secondary Air Filter be cleaned. The Primary Air Filter can be washed up to 6 times a year before replacing.
Sure about that?

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
Secondary air filter is made to be cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Secondary air filter is made to be cleaned.

Sorry but no, the secondary filters are never to be cleaned, just replaced.
They are a very five element and cleaning them destroys the element.

rancher1524

Equipment
Tractor LX4020 B3350SU
May 11, 2016
Evans, Washington
This is from my Operators Manual. If you can wash a fiber filter up to six times, why can't you clean Secondary a stainless steel filter. I would think the stainless steel filter would hold up to cleaning better than a fiber filter.

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
For the amount of money I spent on the tractor, I will change the air filters every year for my own peace of mind.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can't wash them because surprise surprise your water is not clean enough.
Yea acetone is probably clean enough, but it will probably melt the plastic!
Oh yea and that air that you blow out of your compressor to dry it is dirtier than the water you just cleaned it with, so add more contamination than you started with.

The outer filter is normally about 10 to 15 micron.

The inner element is a Safety filter, it's job is to stop anything larger than ~5 to 10 microns (human hair is 50 microns) so really tiny!

I would imagine that the engineers at kubota have determined that having a safety filter on it and changing it once a year is required to keep the engine safe and clean.

Clean it if you want, but don't cry when you toss a 10K engine because of it, besides the B3350's have enough issues wanna add another? :rolleyes:

Attachments

Last edited:

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
Sorry but no, the secondary filters are never to be cleaned, just replaced.

They are a very five element and cleaning them destroys the element.

You need to check with your Kubota rep.
They ARE to be cleaned, but not with water.

The primary element is to be replaced.

This is on the B2650.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to check with your Kubota rep.
They ARE to be cleaned, but not with water.

The primary element is to be replaced.

This is on the B2650.

In no manual that I have ever read does it ever say to clean the safety filter under any circumstances.

This manual makes no mention or reference to cleaning it, also says do not touch it unless your replacing it.

Now is there some written and documented addendum to the manual that states exactly that, that I'm not privy to then maybe.
But a rep just saying "oh yea just clean it" doesn't mean squat!

Any of our many Kubota techs on here wanna send me a PM or email to that effect that would be greatly appreciated.

But until then I'm not telling anyone that they are cleanable under any circumstances!

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This is my cleaning procedure. When it's dirty I carefully remove it. Inspect the cap and clean all the trash out. Remove the lid from the garbage cab and insert old filter. Install new filter and freshly cleaned cap.

I'd rather replace the filter than take a chance on blowing a hole in it then trashing a engine. Filters, oil and grease are always cheaper than repairs.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am VERY picky about maintenance on ALL my equipment/vehicles. I am a former Toyota tech and subsequently have worked aircraft maintenance for decades.

I am a true-believer that air filters should be changed frequently. I change my auto, boat, and aircraft air filters annually, without fail.

But I am incredulous at the Kubota diesel air filter situation. (I’m admitting I’m not very experienced with diesels.). I am someone who takes seriously any factory maintenance instructions/schedules. But this air filter situation seems truly a case of over-doing it.

In the last two years I’ve bought a Kubota RTV-X900 with 300 hrs on it, a Kubota M4700DT with 300 hrs also, and a compactor-roller with a JD-4329 diesel with an unknown number of hours but a history of state-owned highway-department use and maintenance. In my relative “ignorance” ...(and before I acquired the manuals for these machines)...I’ve used common mechanical-sense to blow out the primary filters AND the secondary filters on all three as soon as I bought them because I had no idea when they were last cleaned. I also changed engine oil and filters, and performed other “common knowlege” items. I later downloaded or otherwise acquired the manuals.

I cannot imagine that blowing out the outer “Primary” filters and inspecting them for damage and reusing them is not good practice. I also cannot see why it would be acceptable to manually remove and replace-with-new another secondary filter... yet it be UN-acceptable to blow out a good-condition secondary filter and reinstall it if it appears in excellent condition like all 3 of mine seem to be.

I know-I know...it’s not what Kubota says,.... but WHY would a year demand a secondary filter be replaced if the equipment only has 100 hours annual use on it is beyond my understanding.

OK..that’s my thought process and my actions. Standing by for discussion.

rancher1524

Equipment
Tractor LX4020 B3350SU
May 11, 2016
Evans, Washington
This is an interesting read from Donaldson Filtration. The Kubota Secondary Filter Element is also called the Safety Element.

What Is the Purpose of a Safety Filter?

Many Donaldson air cleaners contain two filters. The larger one is known as the outer or primary filter. The role of the primary filter is to remove contaminant in the air coming from the intake system as it passes through the air cleaner.

There is often a smaller filter fitted either inside, or sometimes after, the larger primary filter. This smaller filter is often referred to as a secondary or inner filter. We prefer to call this smaller filter the safety filter as this better describes its role.
The safety filter has two jobs:

To act as a backup in the rare case of damage to or incorrect installation of the primary filter. This damage may not be apparent to the casual glance and could be caused during handling, or when the filter is serviced. Additionally, it is possible that the primary filter could be installed incorrectly, preventing a good seal.

To protect the engine when the primary filter is removed during servicing by preventing dirt and other contaminant from entering the clean air side of the intake system.

The safety filter usually uses a different type of media from the primary filter. The media is more open for lower restriction and is less efficient, meaning it won’t plug on exhaust soot and oil fumes but will still stop small, engine damaging, dirt and dust particles. Depending on which air cleaner the safety filter is designed for, they can have a pleated construction similar to the primary filter, or can be a ‘slim line’ design often found in smaller air cleaners where space is limited.

With less contaminant holding capacity, the safety filter will plug rapidly on engine damaging particles that find their way past damaged primary filters. This alerts the operator that both filters need to be changed when the restriction level reaches the designated service point. If the safety filter is not changed at this time, the maximum restriction level will be reached very quickly.
Did You Know?

It is recommended that the safety filter is replaced with every third primary filter change unless there has been a failure of the primary filter. The engine should never be run with just the safety filter fitted.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
On my M9's they aren't all that pricey anyway. I think 34 bucks for the outer and 16 for the inner. Chump change for piece of mind in my view. I change my outer, yearly and my inner every 2 years no matter what my restriction gauge indicates.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Donalson = “The safety filter usually uses a different type of media from the primary filter. The media is more open for lower restriction and is less efficient, meaning it won’t plug on exhaust soot and oil fumes but will still stop small, engine damaging, dirt and dust particles.

With less contaminant holding capacity, the safety filter will plug rapidly on engine damaging particles that find their way past damaged primary filters. “

That statement seems contradictory. How can a filter be “more open” and “less efficient” ... “with less contaminant holding capacity” .... but “plug rapidly”...??

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
There is basically no surface area on the secondary filter so it will plug quickly. Another note, on some kubota they don***8217;t even have a safety filter. U can put one in like I did but kubota doesn***8217;t add it on a new tractor. They don***8217;t seem to concerned. Strange.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The safety filter on the B2650, B3350 is $65+, so not a cheap filter!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Bought the inner and outer for the M9 this fall and I don't remember what they cost but it wasn't all that much... I don't think at least.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
As I always understood it.

In extreme environments, a dual filter design is desirable from a longevity view.

If you only had one filter capable of removing the large to fine particles it would clog faster or would need to be much bigger.

By having a porous first filter for the debris, and a smaller second filter for the dust they both last longer and can be much smaller.