Block heater

Sparky2k

Equipment
L2800hst
Jan 9, 2012
Belwood, Ontario
When I bought my L2800 7 years ago I requested a block heater be installed prior to delivery. Dealer rep said it was not necessary and went as far as to offer in writing that if the tractor failed to start at minus 20C he would come and install a block heater no charge.
No heater so far........
The L2800 is a great tractor
Sparx

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I've never needed a block heater to start, but I had one installed on my L3560 and I can tell you, it is nice to go to the barn and start up my tractor and not have it clanking like a bucket of bolts until it warms up and things run so smoothly compared to a stone cold engine.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
My L3600 is the same, she will start no issues in our North Idaho Snowstorms

:)

One thing I learned early was that most of us use our tractors as "Chore Tractors" which is actually pretty hard on all the working parts.

So I tried to mitigate the cold starts as much as possible using a combination of a Block heater and Magnetic heaters on the Transmission all on a remote.

I have tweaked it over the last 4 years and cleaned up the wiring a bit but you get the idea

Just a thought,,, you might not need it at all as I don't know how you use your tractor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__UFau0yKyU

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Strictly speaking a block heater is probably not necessary for cold morning starts. In reality it will make less wear and tear on the tractor. You are far enough north that if you have power accessible at your tractor parking place you should probably go for it.

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
I keep mine plugged in all winter long. If weather gets harsh i tend to tarp everything and throw the frost fighter under neath it. Sometimes when its -40, you still have to feed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I keep mine plugged in all winter long. If weather gets harsh i tend to tarp everything and throw the frost fighter under neath it. Sometimes when its -40, you still have to feed.
If you do the math on the electric that it takes to power a 500W heater all winter it will shock you!
you can save some serious $$$ by limiting heating till you need it. ;)

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
It depends on what you pay for electricity. I pay $.12/kwh, so a 500 watt heater would cost $1.44 per day or about $43 a month. For me, it would be worth it to lessen the wear and tear on starting am engine at -10°F.
In reality, around here, I would only use it if it got below freezing inside my unheated shop, which it only does if it gets below 15 or 20°F outside, and that is not usually for more than 15 or 20 days a year.
Really cold starts are one of the worst things you can do to an engine.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The cost is also determined by amount of elec. used! I have a 1500 watt block heater on a timer that is set for two hours late morning every day. The timer trip lever got messed with and bent so it couldn't shut off. I didn't notice it until the bill came in. Don't know for sure when it began that month, but the bill was about $150 extra.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Yep

I tried leaving it plugged in $$$$, a Freeze Cube, and finally went with a remote outlet which worked the best for me.

Just changed the battery yesterday and hooked it all up,, woooohooooo Snow !!!

Not enough to fire up the Kubota but I am "Winter Warrior" ready LOL

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It depends on what you pay for electricity. I pay $.12/kwh, so a 500 watt heater would cost $1.44 per day or about $43 a month. For me, it would be worth it to lessen the wear and tear on starting am engine at -10°F.
In reality, around here, I would only use it if it got below freezing inside my unheated shop, which it only does if it gets below 15 or 20°F outside, and that is not usually for more than 15 or 20 days a year.
Simple fix, put the heater on a thermo cube, and timer, it will only power the block heater when temp get too low and during the day. ;)

Last edited:

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have mine on a remote switch with a small 15W refrigerator bulb hooked up in the window of the barn so I can see that the remote worked and the block heater is working. I do that then have breakfast and I'm ready to go!

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
What are the real consequences of "the worst things you can do to an engine"?

I run my vehicles until they get old. I have three automobiles with over 200K on the odometer. 2 of the three get started from cold and run to and from work or town every day in winter. Not one has a heater or a warm garage.

200K+ at 35 mph average is pushing 5,750 hours.

What are the "worst things", and when do they start happening?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I have mine on a remote switch with a small 15W refrigerator bulb hooked up in the window of the barn so I can see that the remote worked and the block heater is working. I do that then have breakfast and I'm ready to go!
What brand of remote switch are you using?

Does it need internet?

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
When I bought my tractor last April, my dealer installed a block heater. I did not have to ask for it, they do it to all tractors they sell. I would have had them install one anyway. I have a switch in the house that controls the yard light on my detached garage to power the block heater. It is always plugged in, however, it only is energized when I ask Alexa to turn on the yard light. If it happens to be during daylight hours, the photocell on the yard light turns off the light, and only the receptacle powers the block heater. So far, it has only been on to test to make sure everything works, but I will power it up when I plan on using the tractor to blow snow, maybe an hour or two, just to warm thing up a bit before turning the key.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
We have our equipment block heaters on dedicated 20 AMP receptacles that are powered by thermostatically controlled digital 24 hour programmable timers set to 6 hours on and then 6 hours off daily.

This is nice because with the thermostats set to come on at 35 degrees and the timers set for the hours we're most likely to want to start the machines it saves a little on the overall cost to keep them ready to start.

And we also have battery tenders on all the diesel equipment we use in the winter months.

Our bigger trucks are plugged in whenever they are not being used to circuits dedicated for their block heaters so they are always ready to go.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Nice.

How long does it take to see results on say a small L?

The 400 watt block heater on my G can warm the block in about an hour. Since the heater is right next to the temp sensor, it can actually overheat the block so I need to make certain not to keep it plugged in too long. As soon as the engine is on and the coolant circulates, it drops pretty fast.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Nice.

How long does it take to see results on say a small L?

The 400 watt block heater on my G can warm the block in about an hour. Since the heater is right next to the temp sensor, it can actually overheat the block so I need to make certain not to keep it plugged in too long. As soon as the engine is on and the coolant circulates, it drops pretty fast.

My previous L3410 with 400w block heater had a sweet spot of about 3 hours. Longer than that, and the block did not get any warmer. I recall seeing block temps about 40-50 deg f over ambient at a location measured most distant from the heater.

I never checked block temps on my current L4060, and just use 3 hours on a WiFi controlled power outlet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
What brand of remote switch are you using?

Does it need internet?
The brand I have is a Westinghouse, but very similar to the one that gssixgun uses. I also got it from Amazon and it has a 100' range. It's a great system and I'm sure either would fit your needs.