2674 snowblower impeller jammed

Firemandan774

Equipment
Kubota. L4760 HST
Jun 25, 2019
Innisfil , Ontario Canada
Hi guys I have a Kubota 2674 snow blower . It worked great last winter. I took it off after winter and placed it outside on a skid. I reconnected this weekend and the impeller looks like it’s jammed to the lower housing. When I engaged pto it stalled the tractor. It was moving freely last time I used it in February. A mystery . Could a bearing have been failing and take in water and then freeze causing it to jam ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi guys I have a Kubota 2674 snow blower . It worked great last winter. I took it off after winter and placed it outside on a skid. I reconnected this weekend and the impeller looks like it’s jammed to the lower housing. When I engaged pto it stalled the tractor. It was moving freely last time I used it in February. A mystery . Could a bearing have been failing and take in water and then freeze causing it to jam ?
Pictures of things might help us help you.

If it's super cold, you might have water in the gearbox that has frozen thus jamming up the works.
If you can get it some place warm and see if it will free up.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My sop is I drain the gearbox on the my Lucknow in the spring and refill it and grease everything prior to putting it up for the summer.

The old adage applies, 'it never breaks in the barn''

Because the gearbox is immersed in snow all the time when blowing and it gets warm, chances are the gear oil will get water in it over the winter.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah, pictures would help greatly.

Wolfman has a great idea about the frozen gearbox. Not sure that would stall the tractor, unless it all self-destructed when you fired it up....let's hope that's not the case! ;)

It looks like the drive is pretty straight-forward, without much opportunity to get locked up, except that gearbox. It outputs straight ahead to impellor and also 90 degrees for auger....

Does it look like the impellor housing is bent, or are impellor and shaft out of alignment?

Does the impellor rotate at all, or does it slide forward/backward on the shaft?

Is the key and other parts properly in place holding the impellor on the shaft, along with the shaft support? (Wish I was smart enough to post parts diagram...:()

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have seen blower housing's wear to the point of becoming very thin. Then this thin lower blower housing gets bent up blocking the fan.

Check if there is physical clearance between the fan blade tips and the housing.

NIW's suggestion re water in gearbox needs to be ruled out.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Had a buddy with an old Ford F250 4x4 he plowed snow with all the time. Parked it outside one night, came out in the AM, fired the truck up drove off and then slipped it into 4wd and about went through the windshield, the front diff was locked solid. Had gotten water in the gear oil and froze solid. Took the cover off and had a solid brown mass in the pumpkin. Had the heat it with a torch to melt it and refill it to get moving again.