M126GX no electrical power

trooper632

Equipment
m126gx, m108s, m96, svl-95-2
Nov 10, 2019
Sabinal, texas
Hello all, new to the page.

Problem is I have a 2013 M126GX, put a new battery in a month ago with no issuses since but I went to start it the other day and it turned over slightly and then stopped. No dash lights, no outside lights come on either. The battery shows to be good on a tester, the cables appear to be tight. Seems like a short somewhere but really don't know where to start. Also tried to jump it and still nothing.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Start by cleaning your battery terminals, both the posts on the battery and the clamps on the cables. Be sure the cables are tight on the battery. Check the grounded end of the ground cable - be sure that connection is good as well. Look for corrosion on the battery cables, especially where they enter the connectors. Your problem may really be that simple. If not you've set the stage for further troubleshooting.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Clean the ground strap / cable where it connects to the lug behind the battery. Take it off, grind the metal bright on the lug and connector and apply some di-electric grease before reassembly. Myself, I like to add an internal toothed lockwasher so it provides a physical bite into the lug and the cable end.

You said you checked the battery? What was the static (no load) voltage across the terminals? If it was less that 12.3 volts the battery is discharged. Batteries must be 1.7 volts to be viable for starting and the only way to check that is with an accurate multimeter.

trooper632

Equipment
Nov 10, 2019
Sabinal, texas
You said you checked the battery? What was the static (no load) voltage across the terminals? If it was less that 12.3 volts the battery is discharged. Batteries must be 1.7 volts to be viable for starting and the only way to check that is with an accurate multimeter.[/QUOTE]

Checked battery with load tester

jss81258

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2019
Bay City, TX
Connections at the battery, negative battery ground cable to frame, positive battery cable to relay connection (don't know how it's wired, but I assume there's a relay in there somewhere), maybe fusible link? Checking for power at the relay (or other end of the positive battery cable) would verify.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
One other thing to check with your new battery - hopefully you charged it before installing it. Put your voltmeter on the battery and measure the voltage. Have an assistant attempt to start the tractor while you continue to monitor the battery. The voltage should drop slightly. If it drops below ten or eleven volts the battery is probably defective. Take it back and have it load tested, then replaced.

trooper632

Equipment
Nov 10, 2019
Sabinal, texas
Found the problem. Just poor connection on the positive side. Everything was tight before I checked but I decided to loosen the post and clean anyway. There is the big red wire and two other just slightly white wires that connect to the positive battery post, I scraped the white one with my knife and reinstalled, noticed the inside light in the cab was on. Started up. Thanks for all the input