Should a tiller have a clutch?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I rented a LP RTR1558 yesterday to prepare for our tree planting this weekend. In one area, I hit an ~8 inch rock and before I could react to the engine stalling and disengage the PTO clutch, it died. It fired right back up and everything seemed fine.

Was I doing something wrong?

Next time I guess Ill buy my own clutch if it doesnt have one or doesnt work properly.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
YES it needs a clutch or shearpin or whatever 'they' call the REQUIRED safety device between tractor and tiller.
I've had 6" rocks 'magically' appear and the shear pin breaks ! Esy fix, drive to shed,find another pin, install, putt,putt back, then 1/2 hr later, BANG, anothr roak 'magically' appears....sigh. I'm thinking a small box with pins and wrenches ON the tiller is a good idea.

If you are 'solid' from tractor to tiller you WILL do damage( $$$$$$) , sooner of later.

I have no idea where my rocks come from, tilled it since 1999.

Jay

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Makes sense. The rental place is a hardware store.

Their rental tractors are commercial B26s and nearly identical in HP. Youd think they would know better.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
YES it needs a clutch or shearpin or whatever 'they' call the REQUIRED safety device between tractor and tiller.
I've had 6" rocks 'magically' appear and the shear pin breaks ! Esy fix, drive to shed,find another pin, install, putt,putt back, then 1/2 hr later, BANG, anothr roak 'magically' appears....sigh. I'm thinking a small box with pins and wrenches ON the tiller is a good idea.

If you are 'solid' from tractor to tiller you WILL do damage( $$$$$$) , sooner of later.

I have no idea where my rocks come from, tilled it since 1999.

Jay
Ouch. Hopefully I didnt do any damage.

This is sickening.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Someone may have replaced the shear pin with a harder bolt

Bet they did. Kind of surprised it don't have a slip (friction) clutch on the driveline. My round baler has both. So does my disc mower and both have ratcheting clutches as well so as they wind down, the PTO is stopped.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Someone may have replaced the shear pin with a harder bolt

Bet they did. Kind of surprised it don't have a slip (friction) clutch on the driveline. My round baler has both. So does my disc mower and both have ratcheting clutches as well so as they wind down, the PTO is stopped.
One hay season I baled with an experimental shear bolt assembly driveline on a rd baler & I hated it. I much prefer a slip clutch on the driveline.

May I ask what brand rd baler you have that turns so freely that it requires a ratcheting clutch? My rd baler stops immediately with or without hay in chamber when tractor pto is disengaged without a ratcheting clutch.