Status
Not open for further replies.

skratch

Equipment
front and rear hydraulics
Sep 18, 2019
bernardo, nm
I had a guy come out to replace a thermocouple ( sic ? ) on our water
heater. Charged me 95.00 bucks an hour labor, hour and a half. My fault, should have ask
the rate before I hired him ,,, or maybe not.
Anyway I paid him but gave him a good dressing down he won't soon forget.
The guy was shivering and shaking like a dog pooping peach seeds.
He went down the road with his tail up twixt his legs. :mad:

Sound familiar ?

Last edited:

Jim Dandy

Equipment
L245DT W/Loader M8030DT L275DT
Scratch
$95 and hour does not sound out of line for a person that was able to find the problem and repair it.. I am sure he had travel time to and from the job. One and a half hours sounds very reasonable to me. Just a few of his expenses are fuel insurance vehicle and many more. At the end of the day he does not have much of that $95 dollars an hour. What do you think would be a reasonable charge for the job that he did?

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Not only what the others have already said, since most water heaters can use different Thermocouples, I hope he had the knowledge to put the correct one on.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The price was not at all unreasonable for the service rendered. That's the reason I do as much stuff as I can myself. You should be glad the guy had the correct part with him rather than making another trip and charging for the second trip, too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
heater. Charged me 95.00 bucks an hour labor, hour and a half. My fault, should have ask

Sound familiar ?
Why chew him out?
Because he charged you the going rate for such repairs?

I think you would loose it if you knew what I used to charge an hour for repair work, and even more so for what I charge for work I do now. ;)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
So, you contact a repairman for a repair. You do NOT ask the rate he charges. He fixes your problem and then you get mad because he charges you for fixing your problem. You then berate the man that fixed the problem that you couldn't fix. I would be embarrassed to post that on the internet.

I think you owe a serviceman a phone call with big old apology.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Some people want everything for nothing then have to brag about it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Take the bike to the HD,,, ( HD doesnt mean 100 dollars) shop 100 bucks an hour just to look at it

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Isn't Skratch the one who has threads focusing on when things are going to end, and discussing abstract things? Maybe he doesn't have time to discover DIY solutions. Or maybe it's below his pay grade.

Replacing a thermocoupling in a water heater takes about as long as it probably took the service man to get there. But...you have to have it to put in, and know how to get to it. A You Tube search would quickly solve the DIY part!

Once you hire someone, whether you ask the cost or not, you're ethically responsible to pay the charge. If that charge doesn't suit your idea of fair price, giving him "...a good dressing down he won't soon forget", reflects on you....not the service person.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine

Sound familiar ?

What exactly did you "dress him down for"? What did he do wrong?

Also im calling BS on the "The guy was shivering and shaking like a dog pooping peach seeds". He was probably just fuming over the idiocy of some customers.

Im a mason contractor and wont leave the house for less than a full days pay for me and 1 helper, doesnt matter if its an hour and half job.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not above (or below) my pay grade. Owning rental's, I do my own. I keep spare igniters for the furnaces and HWH's on hand all the time. Not complex to install other than hot surface igniters have to be handled carefully as in no touch. Not rocket science by a long shot.

His hourly rate is right in line far as I'm concerned.

Heck, shop rate at the Freightliner dealership I retired from is now $130 an hour and you go to them, they don't come to you.

My open station M9 is headed to my dealer soon for some a new upper outboard bushing and a new timing (front cover) seal. Could do it myself but at their shop rate (80) per hours, I'd rather have them do it.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States

Sound familiar ?
As a retired hvac tech/owner that rate for a licensed plumber was dirt cheap. You owe him an apology. He has to jump thru hoops to keep his license, expensive liability insurance, maintain a stocked service truck, etc etc etc. You would get on our list of customers that we told when they called back after using cheap techs, " we're booked thru next week ".
What do/did you make on the job ? Total that includes all benefits.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not above (or below) my pay grade. Owning rental's, I do my own. I keep spare igniters for the furnaces and HWH's on hand all the time. Not complex to install other than hot surface igniters have to be handled carefully as in no touch. Not rocket science by a long shot.

His hourly rate is right in line far as I'm concerned.

Heck, shop rate at the Freightliner dealership I retired from is now $130 an hour and you go to them, they don't come to you.

My open station M9 is headed to my dealer soon for some a new upper outboard bushing and a new timing (front cover) seal. Could do it myself but at their shop rate (80) per hours, I'd rather have them do it.
Shop rate of $80 per hour is cheap!!!!! Especially for a dealer. Dealer rate around here is $115 to $130 on average. The Deere and Cummins dealers are $180.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Shop rate of $80 per hour is cheap!!!!! Especially for a dealer. Dealer rate around here is $115 to $130 on average. The Deere and Cummins dealers are $180.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I know it is and I've mentioned that to the owner before (I happen to know him personally). His reply was., I'm comfortable with it. So is everyone else around here.

Shop is always packed and not just Kubota's either. He works on Case and New Holland.

He's always busy either selling new or used units or servicing them. I know his lead tech too, I shoot with him at the local gun club.

Not a fancy, glitzy dealership with huge overhead, mom and pop place and it's fine with me and a lot of other people too.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Poor skratch... Came here looking for sympathy and got scolded for being cheap.:eek:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have had customers to comment to me that my sawmilling rates are a bit higher than other sawyers that they talked to.

My answer is that they know what their sawing is worth. Funny thing is that after talking, they hired me.

Status
Not open for further replies.