Salt Spreader on the BX

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Would you guys run a salt spreader on your tractor? Something tells me to keep salt away from a new tractor and just stick with my push-spreader. Salt seems to destroy metal pretty readily. However, I treat about 4,000ft of sidewalk in a residential area, plus about a dozen small driveways. So even with a 100lb push spreader, I have to keep bags of salt at 2-3 locations because going back to home base for each refill doesn't make sense. The push spreader is work, but I can pay close attention and run it accurately, easily sneaking into front walks and driveways as needed. I'm young, 220lb of muscle, so I don't mind the workout, but sometimes I do mind the time spent.

If so, what spreaders do you like? One thing I would insist on is very accurate control of spread and quantity. Too much salt is both a waste of money and a burden to foot traffic (gets tracked indoors). Too wide a spread is a waste and does harm to surrounding vegetation. The way I see salt spread controlled on plows and pickup trucks, makes me think I don't want anything to do with that type of setup.

Sidewalks in my area are 60" wide, and I'm working within a span of a few contiguous blocks (I'm not jumping around town to different spots).

Thanks!

Last edited:

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Snow Tractor 002.jpg

Started using this Befco spreader when I still had my Case. I fabricated a rubber and aluminum shield on the tractor side to keep the sand salt off the tractor. Works awesome.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
tcrote on here has a video of one mounted off his back blade somewhere in the fabrication & customization page. Wish I was smart enough to find the link for you.
And, yes, salt has a way of eating thru most things tractor related.
Good luck.
regards,

Oct 24, 2019
IN
After doing some searching, I think maybe what I want is a very accurate drop spreader - the kind that is the full width of the drop zone and simple drops, not broadcasts, the salt. There are a few walk behinds that hold around 200lb of salt, with mediocre reviews.

I think the requirement that it meters and drops salt accurately is going to be key. I'm not using course rock salt, but the finer stuff. I get 2,500lb pallets delivered (50lb bags). The grain size is much finer than rock salt used on streets. I think anything in the 42-54" width would be fine. I'm trying to avoid avoid implements that are wider than the tractor, which is just under 4ft.

My googling just isn't turning up the thing I want. I'm either not finding it, or maybe I need to build or modify something. I just wonder what the most ideal mechanism is for accurately dropping fairly small quantities evenly.

Would it make sense to buy a spinning broadcast spreader, which seem much more commonly available, then build a 50" box around the broadcaster?

Oct 24, 2019
IN
While I HATE salt, there are several 'drop spreaders'... just look for 'fertilizer' spreaders...
A google search for "fertilizer spreader" reveals about 100% spinning broadcast spreaders, designed to cast material over a 10-30ft wide area. The only way I can find any drop spreaders, is by searching "drop spreader".

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Salt = Rust, corroded and crumbly concrete, dead plants and so on.

Reactions: 1 user

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I have customers that use compact tractors to clear parking lots and walkways. They all have salt spreaders. They all destroy their machines in 4 years. A Deere 3230 worth nothing with 350 hours.... a B2920 with Curtis Cab Dealer gave 5k in trade...

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Salt = Rust, corroded and crumbly concrete, dead plants and so on.
Yup, and Ice = serious injury. I'll do everything I can to clear walkways mechanically first, but sometimes things ice over. Sometimes just the tiniest pre-application of salt can keep sidewalks completely clear from a light snow/freeze event.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I have customers that use compact tractors to clear parking lots and walkways. They all have salt spreaders. They all destroy their machines in 4 years. A Deere 3230 worth nothing with 350 hours.... a B2920 with Curtis Cab Dealer gave 5k in trade...
I definitely won't be salting and plowing the same material. In fact, I don't think I'll plow at all with my tractor. I have a nice 34" walk-behind snow blower and the sidewalks are just too wonky here to use a tractor-mounted blade or snow blower. If I use my tractor for salting, I want it to accurately drop salt straight down onto the sidewalk, not wing it all over the place. I don't even want the wheels to drive on salted surfaces.

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
chimpywrench,

You indicate the salt you get is finer than the typical stuff, so maybe this agri-fab unit would work? I looked at it for lime drop spreading, but description claims it can do salt as well.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I just goggled "3 point drop fertilizer spreaders"and there are several makes and models. Several in the 3 and 4 foot width. But they think they are made of gold.d

I was wondering if dropping sand would do you any good? I would think the areas like steps could be hand salted and the rest sanded. Doesn't salt have a pretty narrow temperature window to work in?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I use sand here MUCH better than salt. NO damage to concrete or machines. trick is to plow first, get down to pavement and concrete THEN add a fine layer of sand. Crazy thing is I can pickup free sand form lots of people who have NO idea it's GREAT on sidewalks !
As for salt vs vehicles. 1) spray on a 'protctive' barrier BEFORE Winter 2) keep vehicles cold 3) do NOT clean them until Spring 4) when you clean, power wash 3 times. When done, taste test the runoff water . If it's salty, wash again !

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 24, 2019
IN
chimpywrench,

You indicate the salt you get is finer than the typical stuff, so maybe this agri-fab unit would work? I looked at it for lime drop spreading, but description claims it can do salt as well.
I've looked at that one. Wish it had better reviews. Almost every salt spreader I've looked at has only mediocre reviews.

Maybe I should be clearer about what I want: Ideally, I'd have a 3 point mounted drop spreader that holds 200-400 pounds of salt with a PTO powered agitator. A manual lever control for the drop rate would be fine, and ideally it wouldn't be dropping anything unless the rear PTO is running. I can dump 4-6 bags into it, set my drop rate, and drive. Engage the rear PTO when I want it to be dropping. Ability to adjust the drop rate from the seat would be ideal. To me, this seems like the perfect setup for accurately salting with good quantity control, without getting salt where you don't want it.

I don't know anyone who uses sand in my area. I think people would be annoyed with tracking it into their houses. Salt gets tracked in too, but at least it goes away quickly, assuming you drop the right amount.

This is the product I've been using: https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...-ice-reg-ice-melt/2651509/p-1444429567045.htm

There is definitely an art to using salt properly, but it has its place. Timing and temperature.

kevinr7213

Equipment
G26 high dump, bx2200
Mar 6, 2018
Ireland
Hi All

I work for a landscaping company and we spread salt for our commercial clients in the winter, we are located in ireland so dont get much snow, but do get icey patches when temps drop. We have been using a 2002 bx2200 for the past four years and it is still holding u a well. We used a modified disc fertiliser spreader to spread the salt and it works great. Our route takes in several commercial properties and started off with just using a couple of hundred kilos to now using 1500kg or 3300 pounds of salt per night. Each night when we finish we hose down tractor and spreader with cold water and spray on wd40. tractor is showing signs of rust (floor) and we had to do a bit of rewiring but only minor issues.

The bx was in semi retirement up untill this summer when we got a new grass contract that was awkward with some steep and rough terrain so we put the deck back on and it has not missed a beat. The bx cuts for 6 solid hours every 2 weeks and has never let us down!! A great machine!!!

I will try post a link or picture of spreader for anyone who is interested.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Hi All

I work for a landscaping company and we spread salt for our commercial clients in the winter, we are located in ireland so dont get much snow, but do get icey patches when temps drop. We have been using a 2002 bx2200 for the past four years and it is still holding u a well. We used a modified disc fertiliser spreader to spread the salt and it works great. Our route takes in several commercial properties and started off with just using a couple of hundred kilos to now using 1500kg or 3300 pounds of salt per night. Each night when we finish we hose down tractor and spreader with cold water and spray on wd40. tractor is showing signs of rust (floor) and we had to do a bit of rewiring but only minor issues.

The bx was in semi retirement up untill this summer when we got a new grass contract that was awkward with some steep and rough terrain so we put the deck back on and it has not missed a beat. The bx cuts for 6 solid hours every 2 weeks and has never let us down!! A great machine!!!

I will try post a link or picture of spreader for anyone who is interested.
Thanks for the input! Is that a little dump trailer that you're using the transport the bx? I can't see any, but I assume it has ramps?

Last edited:

kevinr7213

Equipment
G26 high dump, bx2200
Mar 6, 2018
Ireland
Thanks for the input! Is that a little dump trailer that you're using the transport the bx? I can't see any, but I assume it has ramps?

The trailer is a small 8 x 5 dropside with ramps that slide in underneath.

I forgot to mention the sidewalks or footpaths as we call them. We also do these manually, again with a modified fertiliser spreader I will take a screen shot from web site on my phone as I dont have a pic. Our set up is a two man job. So we drop bags at certain spots to refill pedestrian spreader. While one man is on tractor the other does paths/sidewalks this seems to work quite well for us and keeps two of us busy and warm!!!! 95% of the time both men finish spreading at the same time.

From what you are describing a drop spreader would be the way forward for you. another idea might be to get a fabricator to make flaps like we have on our pedestrian spinner. I will attach picture