Convert lawn sweeper solid axle and wheels?

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I've been using an Agrifab lawn sweeper behind my B2650 but it has a single solid axle and wheels that just suck. When you turn they want to pop off because their edge grabs into the ground and get drug sideways verses rotating around. You need to take REALLY wide and gradual turns which makes it very difficult to use on my lawns layout. .

Is it possible to maybe put a better axle on one of these? Or maybe better cart wheels with a ball joint or something so the tires have some movement and forgiveness when turning more narrow?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If both wheels are pinned to the axle( everything turns at once).. you're ...^***$^^!.
THAT is why the 'differential' was invented ! As you've found out, you cannot make tight turns...nature of the beast. Different wheels wont help.

Some options would be

1) change the lawn sweeping pattern

2) buy a power vac unit

3) 'pole and tarp' unit.

4) add differential to current sweeper

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Clover13,
Are you asking about the drive wheels on a pull behind sweeper? Or are there caster wheels on the back that support the "hopper"?

Digger
The actual drive wheels. They are solid axle and narrow so they just dig and slide on turns and that messes up the lawn. Unfortunately I can't adjust the sweep pattern much without going onto my gravel driveway and sweeping a bunch of gravel. Other option is getting off tractor, disconnecting sweeper, and manually spinning it around and reconnecting.

The sweeper works great but the turning issue is a real pain.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
If both wheels are pinned to the axle( everything turns at once).. you're ...^***$^^!.
THAT is why the 'differential' was invented ! As you've found out, you cannot make tight turns...nature of the beast. Different wheels wont help.

Some options would be

1) change the lawn sweeping pattern

2) buy a power vac unit

3) 'pole and tarp' unit.

4) add differential to current sweeper
These sweepers are already expensive for what they are. Having a differential would have made it perform way better. I'll have to look into the pole and tarp method and see what that's about. Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll start by saying you have either worn it out or it was assembled wrong.
I've worked with them, and I've see videos of them behind zero turn mowers.
If it can handle the turning radius of a Zero turn it should more than handle your BX.

You can't put caster wheels on it as the wheel and axle drives the brushes. Install bigger wheels and the brushes won't hit the ground.

Only one wheel drives the unit the other free wheels, so no need to install a differential.

They are a light weight setup meant to be pulled behind a lawn mower, maybe your just loading it up too heavy?

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I'll start by saying you have either worn it out or it was assembled wrong.
I've worked with them, and I've see videos of them behind zero turn mowers.
If it can handle the turning radius of a Zero turn it should more than handle your BX.

You can't put caster wheels on it as the wheel and axle drives the brushes. Install bigger wheels and the brushes won't hit the ground.

Only one wheel drives the unit the other free wheels, so no need to install a differential.

They are a light weight setup meant to be pulled behind a lawn mower, maybe your just loading it up too heavy?
That's possible it's too heavily loaded. This is the 52" version so it's big and holds a lot of material. Again the narrow profile of the tire digs in on turns and the force on the inner edge wants to pull the wheel out/away and off. I don't think I assembled it wrong, works great driving straight, tires turn fine but once sideward pressure is involved the wheels want to pull off. The tendency to want to pull the wheel off on turns does increase as more material is gathered. However it seems kind of odd to empty it if it's only 1/4 full.

Good point on the wheel and gear assembly. Best I could do is maybe get a wider wheel?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
As there's only ONE drive wheel connected to teh axle and brushes, perhaps the 'free' wheel isn't free and somehow binding/attached to the axle.
Easy to test, turn upside down, spin the drive wheel, the other should NOT move. Also remember which IS the drive wheel ( left or right) and what happens as you make turns. I'm thinking the 'free' wheel isn't free anymore.
Grass,mud,leave,rust,etc. could be binding it to the axle.
That happens on my Brinly lawn areator/seeder unit..every year, same drill, tear apart, clean,reassemble...good for another year, more or less....

Jay

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
As there's only ONE drive wheel connected to teh axle and brushes, perhaps the 'free' wheel isn't free and somehow binding/attached to the axle.
Easy to test, turn upside down, spin the drive wheel, the other should NOT move. Also remember which IS the drive wheel ( left or right) and what happens as you make turns. I'm thinking the 'free' wheel isn't free anymore.
Grass,mud,leave,rust,etc. could be binding it to the axle.
That happens on my Brinly lawn areator/seeder unit..every year, same drill, tear apart, clean,reassemble...good for another year, more or less....

Jay
It's done this from the first day brand new. Good point though maybe turning with the free spinning wheel on the outside of the turn will be better. From what I've observed they both do the same thing but I haven't paid attention to whether one side is worse. It is a wide and big unit at 52" to turn sharply I think, especially with a narrow tire that is at a fixed angle.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you mean that the rubber is coming off the rim?

Because if the entire wheel rim and tire are coming off then somethings either missing or broken as the wheels are attached with a nut to the stub axle.

You can't add wider wheels as the wheel is also the gear drive for the unit.

Here is what it looks like on the "inside".

Attachments

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Yes essentially it looks like the tire is getting ripped off the rim as you turn. I'll stop and lift the sweeper and kick the tire back on. It doesn't come off entirely but does creep out an inch or so.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
In the picture that NIW posted the lower,right wheel(driver's side) is the driver and attached to the 'brushes'. The upper left wheel(actually the right side ) should be 'free wheeling', meaning it HAS to spin indepenently of the 'driver'.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
In the picture that NIW posted the lower,right wheel(driver's side) is the driver and attached to the 'brushes'. The upper left wheel(actually the right side ) should be 'free wheeling', meaning it HAS to spin indepenently of the 'driver'.
Unless I am missing something only the one wheel, as mentioned by GreensvilleJay, is driving the brushes. Maybe the problem is that it is binding on the turn at the hitch. If the hitch is binding as you turn it would drag the unit sideways, which would cause the tire to be pushed off the hub.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
It's loose at the hitch. No problem turning that I noticed. Maybe I'll disassemble and grease the hell out of the wheel bushing/bearing and axle.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is one doing it or both?

If it's just the drive wheel try swapping tires and rims side to side.

I would say it sounds more like you just need to glue the tire to the rim to keep it from just coming off the rim. ;)