Extinction

skratch

Equipment
front and rear hydraulics
Sep 18, 2019
bernardo, nm
I've been thinking again, not a good thing I know ,,,,, ;)

Opinions on what will be the cause of mass human extinction.

I kinda think it will be
a cataclysmic natural event such as an astronomically large meteor strike or wide spread volcanic activity
leading to starvation, sickness, and resultant human conflict.
Some animals and other creatures will probably be able to adapt but I doubt the human species
could.

Last edited:

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I don't see it being anything natural... Humans are the apex predator because of our ability to rapidly adapt and build tools to survive harsh environments. As a species we survived ice ages and droughts. We are the only creatures that survive on all 7 continents (barring any bugs or microorganisms that live within us or the facilities we built.

So leaving out a massive asteroid that is enough to wipe the planet of all creatures at once, I see the end of humanity being due to divine or human means (Thermonuclear War--which with the bunkers that exist in the world this is even a stretch--, overpopulation, etc.).

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
From what I have read, there has been twice in the earth's history that the ice caps have melted and there has been totally a green earth. Once there was a global ice age and a snow ball earth when almost all live on earth was eliminated. The dinosaurs died out after a massive asteroid hit off the Mexico coast. I'm betting on a massive hit to wipe us all out and another start for good old earth will begin.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
It says in scripture that the great falling away of the bride of Christ would bring him back.

2 Thessalonians 2:1-5 KJV
[1] Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, [2] That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. [3] Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come , except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; [4] Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. [5] Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

I have a lively hope that he will return in the clouds and I will rise up to meet him. It does say there will be tribulations before that great and notable day.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 KJV
[16] For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: [17] Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. [18] Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

It also says to be prepared for that day. Christ said you must be born again of the spirit.

John 3:5-8 KJV
[5] Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. [6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. [8] The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Aint none of us getting out of here alive,,might as well enjoy our selves in the mean time :D

skratch

Equipment
Sep 18, 2019
bernardo, nm
Funny, I was just watching this today on the overdue Cascadia fault quake... 9.0+ for five minutes and a big tsunami with possible volcanic eruptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlr3ZLSfN0c&t=255s
Ray, really interesting video. We live almost on top of the Socorro, NM magma
chamber,about 2 miles from center. Our well is 220 ft deep, on occasion the water will be warm, even in winter. We are about 1 mile west of the Rio Grande rift. The rift is widening every year about the growth of your finger nails. We have daily earth tremors, recorded by the university in Socorro, almost all can't be felt.
NM has a history of volcanic activity, some events quite large.
Not really related but there are some ancient volcano vents just west of
Albuquerque, some kids carried old tires there in the night and set them on fires, caused a panic in town.
As an aside, when Mt. Saint Helens blew we were living in SW MO, our well was 420 ft deep, it went muddy, never before, never again as long as we lived there. Strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pmOPIo649o

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I can conceive of a few different scenarios.

1. Asteroid or comet strike, global extinction class event.

2. A genetically modified virus or bacteria accidentally gets loose or is set loose by a terrorist organization, and kills all humans before we can find a vaccine or cure. Genetically modified organisms can be beneficial, ineffective or deadly.

3. Nuclear war that causes a nuclear winter that lasts longer than humans can hold out.

4. Runaway greenhouse effect that makes the entire planet uninhabitable for humans. Take a look at Venus, where runaway greenhouse effect makes the surface a toasty 800°F. (Those who don't believe we are headed for a climate change due to CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions are ignorant of scientifically proven facts, or just hoping it doesn't all go to hell before they die.)

5. Gamma ray burst from a nearby supernova. We wouldn't see it coming, and would die in a number of days or weeks. Those far underground when it hit might survive the event, but starve because all plants and animals would also be killed.

6. Eruption of a super volcano, such as the one under Yellowstone. Geological records show that it has erupted roughly every 600,000 years, and it way past due. It could blow tens of cubic kilometers of material into the atmosphere causing a global winter lasting for years. It might not kill everyone, but the few that would survive would have a tough time for a few years. A similar eruption in the Asian Steppes caused one of five global extinction events shown in the geological record.

7. Invasion by aliens who think humans taste good when properly prepared. Not likely, but possible.

8. A virus or some kind of life form falling to earth from outer space or brought back by humans during a mission to another planet like Mars, Titan, or Enceladus .
Remember The Andromeda Strain?

9. A black hole or wandering star passing through the solar system either strikes the earth or disturbs earth's orbit causing it to move out of the Sun's habitable zone.

10. Similar to #2, a virus that renders humans sterile.

Personally, I'm betting that we cause our own demise by the majority of the populace ignoring the warnings of scientists and continuing some environmentally damaging practice until it's too late.

What ever happens, unless an event either destroys the Earth or damages it sufficiently to destroy all life on it, the Earth will be just fine without us. After all, the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, and humans and their progenitors have infested it for only the last million years or so.
The Earth will survive, but we're pretty much screwed.

Last edited:

olsarge

Equipment
L2501
Aug 5, 2016
Fresno CA
spelling
It says in scripture that the great falling away of the bride of Christ would bring him back.

2 Thessalonians 2:1-5 KJV
[1] Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, [2] That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. [3] Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come , except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; [4] Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. [5] Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

I have a lively hope that he will return in the clouds and I will rise up to meet him. It does say there will be tribulations before that great and notable day.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 KJV
[16] For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: [17] Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. [18] Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

It also says to be prepared for that day. Christ said you must be born again of the spirit.

John 3:5-8 KJV
[5] Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. [6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. [8] The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Right on Kenny!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Skratch,

I used to marvel at those cinder cones and the small volcanoes on arrival into Albuquerque. Kind of tortured landscape compared to the area around it. I have heard that there is a natural hot spring up in a state park west of Los Alamos.

Ray

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I'd like to say that we "just don't know" but that's a lie. The next time, it will be by fire. The last time it was by water.

But none of us know "when".

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
It must be a right of passage. Every generation believes they are in the end times.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
It must be a right of passage. Every generation believes they are in the end times.
We could list 1000 ways for the end of civilization to arrive, but it will likely be the 1001st that gets us.
The one nobody thought of......
We’re getting closer to the end everyday....
Boys think they’re girls:confused:, girls think they’re boys:(, even if they don’t have the “equipment”.
When the dogs want to be cats:p, cats want to be dogs:rolleyes:, and the goats want to be sheep:eek:, quit your job open a beer on the back deck, relax and wait.
It won’t be long.
;)

skratch

Equipment
Sep 18, 2019
bernardo, nm
Skratch,

I used to marvel at those cinder cones and the small volcanoes on arrival into Albuquerque. Kind of tortured landscape compared to the area around it. I have heard that there is a natural hot spring up in a state park west of Los Alamos.

Ray
There's a sign on the trail to the spring that says there may be nudity. :)