Hst parking

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
After reading about leaving a diesel idle for short periods in between chores got me wondering. I do leave it idle but curious is it best to put the HST in neutral while doing so or just leave in the range you stopped in? Maybe no difference at all? Ground is white this morning! Have a great day!

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Re: Hst

Leave it in gear, it’s safer, because the hst will prevent it from rolling, it might creep down hill, but that’s ok.

Regarding wear and tear on the HST, it doesn’t make any difference, the gear shift is down stream from the HST pump and motor, so in neutral the engine is still turning the pump, the pump swash plate is set in it’s flat position so the pump is not pumping, and the motor is not turning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA

Thanks for the info! I always set the brake when I leave it idle just to be safe. Thanks again!

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH

Unless I'm on an incline, I just get off without applying the brake. Keep in mind it is easier for the tractor to roll in the higher ranges.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

I also have the risky habit of hopping off to open or close gates without putting it in neutral or setting the brake. BUT if you look through the various threads especially on B2650, the adjustment on the HST neutral position can get out of whack and the tractor can creep off on its own. Not good if you've left it to warm up in the barn or if you are between it and the gate.

I'll add a link to a thread when I find it with some pics.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29513

There are a bunch of threads dealing with HST tractors creeping. Basically you are taking a chance if you are leaving your tractor running and it is not in neutral gear and/ or with the parking brake on.

Last edited:

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx

Unless I'm on an incline, I just get off without applying the brake. Keep in mind it is easier for the tractor to roll in the higher ranges.
I do the same.

If it creeps away while I’m not looking, it will stop when it bumps into something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL

I do whatever I can to never engage the brake if I have to hop off the tractor for a bit. However, I know that is not always an option. I am usually on level ground and can lower the loader and/or implement to anchor the tractor. I find it so easy to forget the brake is locked and I don't want to forget to unlock it when I take off again. It is easy to do. I try to make a habit of pumping the brake pedal when I get back on the tractor, regardless of whether I locked it or not. As others have said, I wish Kubota had designed a brake light on the dash.

retyred57

Equipment
L3901 HST, Ag tires, LA525 FEL, Landpride 66" boxblade, BE 60" rotary cutter
Aug 3, 2015
Ontario, Canada
For safety reasons I try to remember to put the HST in neutral, more than once I have hit the HST pedal getting on or off the tractor with the engine running.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
This is much more serious than to be taken casually. A friend of mine had his tractor to creep up on him when he had his back turned. It ran over and killed him. He left a wife and two small children.

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
I usually leave mine running when dismounting for short periods of time..but I always pop it into neutral and drop both the loader bucket and the box blade.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I leave it in gear, but apply the parking brake when I'm not in the cab.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Loader down on the ground where possible and the parking brakes on. If you are doing anything on the 3PH or anywhere where you have pinch points then turn the tractor OFF.

I find that on any kind of inclines the tractor rolls too easily if the HST is put in neutral.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota

I do whatever I can to never engage the brake if I have to hop off the tractor for a bit. However, I know that is not always an option. I am usually on level ground and can lower the loader and/or implement to anchor the tractor. I find it so easy to forget the brake is locked and I don't want to forget to unlock it when I take off again. It is easy to do. I try to make a habit of pumping the brake pedal when I get back on the tractor, regardless of whether I locked it or not. As others have said, I wish Kubota had designed a brake light on the dash.
That is why I installed a piezoelectric horn on the brake switch so I don't inadvertently drive the tractor with the parking break engaged. I agree Kubota should have made this standard equipment. It is loud enough that I can hear it even with the cab door closed.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Guy up the road got killed when the tractor ran over him. Was a new-ish M6040. He had the seat switch bypassed. He had a 7' shredder on it, got off the tractor with the shredder still running, went to move whatever obstacle it was (I think it was some scrap metal or something), and the tractor rolled and the shredder shredded him to pieces. One of my coworkers family members is the sheriff and the sheriff said it was the absolute worst deal he's seen--and he came out of Iraq, where he worked as a driver that picked up blowed up tanks, APC's, HMMV's, etc.

Zaicran

Equipment
B2650, 72" MMM, LA534+QA, RCR1260
Oct 8, 2019
Morganza, MD
I drop the loader on the ground if I get off the tractor...but I'm a new owner....not sure it's the right thing to do.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
....not sure it's the right thing to do.
That's fine. Actually, it's always safer when the bucket is on the ground. It should ALWAYS be stored that way. Takes pressure off the seals in the hydraulic systems...just "float" it down, then take the control out of float.

If there were sudden hose break, mechanical failure, etc. The loader won't drop and potentially hurt something or somebody.

RyanG

Equipment
2019 Kubota BX2380, 60"mmm, FEL. 2018 JD X390, 54"mmm (for sale)
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
I've always set it in neutral with by B3030, and will do the same on the BX. If it has the loader or a plow on the back etc. i usually just set that on the ground and didn't worry about the brake. Otherwise set the brake and pop it in neutral (unless it's only for a few seconds then I just leave it in gear with the brake on)
I've just never trusted that it's dead center everytime. Even if the tracotr can't roll, when it's in gear if it's not 100% in the center positon the hydo will be "trying" to move. which is basically wearing on everything internally. Granted for a short time it wouldn't be an issue with heat etc. But I could imagine over the life of the tractor it can't be good for the pumps or drive... Could be wrong though but it lets me sleep at night haha

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
After reading about leaving a diesel idle for short periods in between chores got me wondering. I do leave it idle but curious is it best to put the HST in neutral while doing so or just leave in the range you stopped in? Maybe no difference at all? Ground is white this morning! Have a great day!
Many here are focusing on the safety aspect of this, which is good, but Im more curious about the "leaving a diesel idle for short periods between chores" part of your post. What have you read? This is something I've often thought about as I tend to idle my tractor when I need to get off for a few minutes and move or do something. I have a habit of pushing the throttle to minimum when getting off, then throttling back up to higher RPM when I get back on. I do this because I had read in the break in period of a new tractor you should try to operate it at various RPM levels. So I try to move it around a lot, sometimes Ill idle a little above minimum. Some youtube channels I watch, I note some of them will turn their tractor off everytime they get off it seems like. Some of them it seems excessive to me to turn it off, only to crank it back up minutes later.