Just bought a GR2100 on ebay but now am worried

btong

Oct 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi folks

As the subject suggests, am starting to think I've made a big mistake in buying a GR2100 on ebay. It has about 600 hours on it and I know it needs 2x Glide Steer cables, but the transmission is apparently good. I have no idea whether the transmission mods (bushing replacements, seals etc) have been done or not. Should have done more research rather than trusting the supposedly decent Kubota brand name...

I guess what I would really like to know is what to check in order to make sure I haven't bought a wreck. I will look for hydro leaks and make sure that there are no funny noises, but what else should I be looking for? Do I need to get it in the air to check or should I be able to see under the hood?

The price was good - but with hindsight that just makes me more suspicious. If it is no good I will return it to the seller and raise a claim.

Any help very much welcomed, don't want to be stuck with a lemon!

Thanks

George

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Good luck with your purchase.
I bought a T1460 off Craigslist and also was swayed by the Kubota name even though it had an obvious oil leak and squirrelly steering.
The price was low so I took a chance. No returns on CL

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You are supposed to do your do diligence before you purchase, not afterward. I am an optimist, and believe that most people are honest in their descriptions, however, if they are not educated in what they are selling, then can mislead you without knowing it. Kubota products are quite reliable and tough, so as long as it wasn't abused you should be in good shape. When buying used equipment, you need to know your limits, and if you are going to need it repaired by a professional, you might be best off making your purchase from a reliable dealer of the brand. Also, check out the reputation of the dealer, because some dealers are not as good as other dealers.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi folks

As the subject suggests, am starting to think I've made a big mistake in buying a GR2100 on ebay. It has about 600 hours on it and I know it needs 2x Glide Steer cables, but the transmission is apparently good. I have no idea whether the transmission mods (bushing replacements, seals etc) have been done or not. Should have done more research rather than trusting the supposedly decent Kubota brand name...

I guess what I would really like to know is what to check in order to make sure I haven't bought a wreck. I will look for hydro leaks and make sure that there are no funny noises, but what else should I be looking for? Do I need to get it in the air to check or should I be able to see under the hood?

The price was good - but with hindsight that just makes me more suspicious. If it is no good I will return it to the seller and raise a claim.

Any help very much welcomed, don't want to be stuck with a lemon!

Thanks

George
If the transmission is not leaking and the PTO works properly you have likely got a good machine. The GR2100 had some early issues but it is a very unique tractor and with proper care will give years of service. You MUST have those steering cables installed and adjusted properly though because the rear axle doesn't have a differential so without the cables it is effectively locked which puts undue strain on it when turning. Hopefully yours does have the newer rear end but even those old ones often gave great service. Kubota offered a complete new rear end for them at a very good price ( For Kubota parts!) I'm not sure if they still do or not.

If you need the new rear end it is part # K125495211 Order it through whole good ( Sales Dept.) not parts dept.

Last edited:

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
I think you'll be ok, if you got a decent deal up front and can do the repairs yourself, now if your going to have to pay to have it done it is going to get to the point of diminishing returns:(

myself, I would try to repair myself, it will be a good learning experience and increase your familiarity with the new machine:D

Best of luck