Close faced Hydraulic Couplers

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Did they update your tractor yet?

No, I just called him last week. Since I park the loader for the winter I thought there was no rush. I had put my K Drive and F/M Blower on and now I see those are leaking too, so it appears that the leak is in the base plate on the tractor.

I am getting everything together to make a conversion to Pioneer's. I am tired of dealing with this quik-connect "garbage" set up that Kubota has decided is the "be all - end all". This is the only thing I find to be inferior on this tractor and all of the implements I have with it.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I guess I can call myself lucky. I remove my loader twice a week all summer to cut grass and haven't had a problem.....yet!

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
BTW
Sorry to post so much in your thread orange crusher....

After one more stop to the hydraulic store today after work I may have some more information that will help someone Looking to do the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
BTW
Sorry to post so much in your thread orange crusher....

After one more stop to the hydraulic store today after work I may have some more information that will help someone Looking to do the same thing

John T, FYI the threaded to AN fitting you need for the FEL hose connections carries a Gates # of QA9B

I am going to make a billet aluminum plate for the tractor side of the mounting plate and put the 4 female couplers on it. I need 10 male ends for all of my implements so 10 males are alot cheaper than 10 females.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You might want to consider using standard flat face couplers instead of Pioneers if your going to put the females on the tractor side, as they will hold dirt water and anything else that comes along because they are pointed straight up.

And No normal flat face couplers do not leak.

Last edited:

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
John T, FYI the threaded to AN fitting you need for the FEL hose connections carries a Gates # of QA9B

I am going to make a billet aluminum plate for the tractor side of the mounting plate and put the 4 female couplers on it. I need 10 male ends for all of my implements so 10 males are alot cheaper than 10 females.

I got four adapters today from the parker hydraulic store

Also,
They are actually 3/8” JIC not AN

I agree with Wolfman
I would not put the females on the bottom unless you were going to be very diligent about putting Protective caps on them when not in use

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
You might want to consider using standard flat face couplers instead

And No normal flat face couplers do not leak.

The reason why I went with pioneers is cost and availability.

It was proving difficult to find female flat faced with a 1/4” NPT
Parker hydraulics didn’t even have any.

I can buy good quality Pioneers right down the street.

And yeah I know locking flat faces don’t leak.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Alrighty then....

Looks like I’m done.

Everything lines up good everything works no leaks
Pretty simple to hook/unhook.

For anyone looking to do the same thing on a BX23S
The parts are:

4 sets of Pioneer couplers (1/4” NPT)
4 - 3/8”JIC to 1/4” NPT adapters.
4 - 3/8” tube clamps

The only thing I need to get yet is four of those plastic protectors for the male ends.... when the loader is unhooked.
Final pics:

Last edited:

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Alrighty then....

Looks like I’m done.

Everything lines up good everything works no leaks
Pretty simple to hook/unhook.

For anyone looking to do the same thing on a BX23S
The parts are:

4 sets of Pioneer couplers (1/4” NPT)
4 - 3/8”JIC to 1/4” NPT adapters.
4 - 3/8” tube clamps

The only thing I need to get yet is four of those plastic protectors for the male ends.... when the loader is unhooked.
Final pics:

Nice job, well done. I have everything together to do not only my FEL but also my K Drive, F/M snow blower and my power angle F/M broom. I'll keep the entire factory setup and put it back on when this tractor moves on.

I am still going to put the 4 females on the tractor. I have 4 really good quality snap-on covers to to protect them when not in use.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Great job John T, I hate it when new designs just don't hold up under use, bad field testing!

Last edited:

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Awesome.

Make sure some wiseguy friend doesn’t swap those color coded caps on you ...

LoL!!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Great job! I like the way you clamped the tubing!

fluidp

Equipment
Kubota BX2680, SAME Centauro 65, Universal 650 DT Super.
Dec 30, 2017
Forest Grove, BC Canada
Hey guys, I just saw this thread.... I have a 2017 bx2680 with loader, snow blower etc. Pretty much since new ive had a weeping issue with that lever lock set up, Well now it has blown.... Ive been in touch with the dealer and they are just giving me the run around..... I took the quick connect (QC) thing apart, loader side and found one of the little neoprene rings had became deformed.

The failure is Not due to dirt, its due to the fact the "Lever" does Not keep the connections secure, as say individual connecters lock together. This allows the vibration of the machine to eventually wear out this component.

Just to get me through the weekend, I put it back together and used two sets of c-clamp vice grips to hold the two halve tight... WOW no leaks.

Any way, I will be buying 4 fem flat face connectors for the loader and will send the piece of crap lever thing back to dealer with my invoice for repairs.. LOL

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Hey guys, I just saw this thread.... I have a 2017 bx2680 with loader, snow blower etc. Pretty much since new ive had a weeping issue with that lever lock set up, Well now it has blown.... Ive been in touch with the dealer and they are just giving me the run around..... I took the quick connect (QC) thing apart, loader side and found one of the little neoprene rings had became deformed.

The failure is Not due to dirt, its due to the fact the "Lever" does Not keep the connections secure, as say individual connecters lock together. This allows the vibration of the machine to eventually wear out this component.

Just to get me through the weekend, I put it back together and used two sets of c-clamp vice grips to hold the two halve tight... WOW no leaks.

Any way, I will be buying 4 fem flat face connectors for the loader and will send the piece of crap lever thing back to dealer with my invoice for repairs.. LOL

Good luck on that one.........Kubota doesn't seem to think there is a problem, so I believe your out to lunch for ANY compensation. Just convert it over and be done with it.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I have a 2017 bx2680.

Any way, I will be buying 4 fem flat face connectors for the loader

I thought about going that route myself.

But I found that pioneers were much much cheaper.
And readily available.

I had a hard time finding female flat face in the thread size I needed.

The vice grip or clamp idea is a good one.... I wish I thought of that when it was leaking all over town.

Piss poor Design to say the least

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
My Grand L6060 is set up just the way you have yours, now. I haven't had a problem with leakage or connecting the couplers. I have flat face locking connectors on my snowblower. If there is no pressure on the lines they work great. At first I thought they were the cats a**. That was until I tried to hook the lines up with a little pressure on them. You can't hook the flat faced connectors under any pressure. I have had to loosen the connector several times to release the pressure before I could hook them up. I think you will be happy with your new set up.