Close faced Hydraulic Couplers

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I have a 2017 BX 2680 with a LA344 quick attach loader. The closed face 4 hose coupler manifold began seeping fluid after about 100 hrs. of use. The dealer replaced the entire set up under warranty. All was good until recently when once again it has started leaking fluid from the couplers. I have been very careful about making sure coupler faces are completely clean before re attaching each time.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a fix for it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a 2017 BX 2680 with a LA344 quick attach loader. The closed face 4 hose coupler manifold began seeping fluid after about 100 hrs. of use. The dealer replaced the entire set up under warranty. All was good until recently when once again it has started leaking fluid from the couplers. I have been very careful about making sure coupler faces are completely clean before re attaching each time.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a fix for it?
FYI: They are called Flat Face couplers. ;)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Couplers are dirt magnets. I think eventually all couplers leak a bit, failing after 100 hours seems a little quick. Do you store your equipment outside? How do you keep them clean?

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Couplers are dirt magnets. I think eventually all couplers leak a bit, failing after 100 hours seems a little quick. Do you store your equipment outside? How do you keep them clean?
In the summer I park it in a pole shed, In the winter it is parked in a heated garage. This problem only occurs when using the coupler block on the loader. It does not happen when hooking up the K drive lift, snow blower or the power angle broom.

Talked to the dealer this a.m. and he advised that there have been revisions made to the coupler block both top and bottom AGAIN. So, sounds like they are going to change everything again. Dirt is not an issue with this tractor as it is "babied" and looks like the day they delivered it 2 years ago. It now has 332hrs. on it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
In the summer I park it in a pole shed, In the winter it is parked in a heated garage. This problem only occurs when using the coupler block on the loader. It does not happen when hooking up the K drive lift, snow blower or the power angle broom.

Talked to the dealer this a.m. and he advised that there have been revisions made to the coupler block both top and bottom AGAIN. So, sounds like they are going to change everything again. Dirt is not an issue with this tractor as it is "babied" and looks like the day they delivered it 2 years ago. It now has 332hrs. on it.
How much of a leak are we talking about? An occasional drip or dinner sized plate of a puddle every morning? If it's an occasional drip I wouldn't worry too much. Another thing you can do is try relieving the pressure on the valves when you turn the machine off and before you get off. See if that makes a difference.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
How much of a leak are we talking about? An occasional drip or dinner sized plate of a puddle every morning? If it's an occasional drip I wouldn't worry too much. Another thing you can do is try relieving the pressure on the valves when you turn the machine off and before you get off. See if that makes a difference.

Idling in driveway for 5 minutes gives you a 3" puddle. Parked over night doubles it but I suspect that is due to build up on the manifold body and residual drip from the underside. Warm fluid doesn't take a lot of quantity to make a big mess. Just plain annoying especially on a quality piece of equipment.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I would disconnect the 4 hose coupler
And clean it up real good on the tractor side. So you can get a good look.

Then start the tractor and move the hydraulic controls around.

See if one of the four couplers are leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I had a similar problem with my BX23s

I found the O-ring on one of the couplers was damaged

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Mine leaked once! It seems I was a bit too far from the coupler when reattaching the FEL and I guess it didn't seat right? I got closer and reattached and it never leaked again!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Idling in driveway for 5 minutes gives you a 3" puddle. Parked over night doubles it but I suspect that is due to build up on the manifold body and residual drip from the underside. Warm fluid doesn't take a lot of quantity to make a big mess. Just plain annoying especially on a quality piece of equipment.
Agreed.

Is it possible to change the type of connectors on the manifold? I've found that some coupler designs just leak more than others. I dislike pioneer couplers for that reason. I've had more luck with the bobcat style construction flat faced couplers.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Agreed.

Is it possible to change the type of connectors on the manifold? I've found that some coupler designs just leak more than others. I dislike pioneer couplers for that reason. I've had more luck with the bobcat style construction flat faced couplers.

You can replace them on the tractor side I know because I replaced one already.
I don’t think they come out on the loader side. At least that’s what I’ve been told but I haven’t tried to get one out yet.

I was thinking another problem is these flat face connectors do not lock into each other.
They rely on the latch mechanism.
To join them together.

And I think there is movement which starts it leaking

I’m wondering if you can buy 4 female flat face connectors that lock...
And still retain the 4 males on the tractor.

I hope that makes sense I’m talking to Siri

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
So what I’m thinking is disconnect the quick coupler

And use 4 locking couplers like this
The same way the backhoe Lines are

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
That way you can keep the four male ends on the tractor side.

Anyone smell what I’m cooking?

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
That way you can keep the four male ends on the tractor side.

Anyone smell what I***8217;m cooking?

I do, but if I'm going thru the trouble and expense I am going to convert over to pioneers. This flat face nonsense is a folly. Kubota knows it but still continues using this crappy system.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I do, but if I'm going thru the trouble and expense I am going to convert over to pioneers. This flat face nonsense is a folly. Kubota knows it but still continues using this crappy system.

LoL
Yeah well that’s what I’m somewhat confused about

Some guys swear by the pioneers and other guys say that the flat face/bobcat are the best....

It looks like pioneers would be cheaper
But I would like to retain that nifty manifold that’s on the tractor.

I’d have to do some work to that so it would hold the pioneer male fitting.

I can’t seem to find 1/4” thread female
Flat face connectors anyway...

I may just go with my original idea of using good old-fashioned snowplow connectors.

Not sure what the correct name for those are
If they are actually pioneers or not

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
LoL
Yeah well that’s what I’m somewhat confused about

Some guys swear by the pioneers and other guys say that the flat face/bobcat are the best....

It looks like pioneers would be cheaper
But I would like to retain that nifty manifold that’s on the tractor.

I’d have to do some work to that so it would hold the pioneer male fitting.

I can’t seem to find 1/4” thread female
Flat face connectors anyway...

I may just go with my original idea of using good old-fashioned snowplow connectors.

Not sure what the correct name for those are
If they are actually pioneers or not

summit-hydraulics.com and hosewarehouse.com have 1/4" NPTF flat face connectors. on summit they are under the iso 16028 connector and on hosewarehouse they are Dixon 2htf2 for the coupler and ht2f2 for the plug end. hosewarehouse also sells Eaton brand flat face but i don't have the part numbers handy.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I stopped at the local Parker store on the way home today and picked up 4 sets of Pioneers.

I got the tractor side done.
Threads are 1/4” like I thought.

However, the hoses that connect to the opposite fitting and go to the FEL are some kind of flare/AN fitting
Dammit.

So back to the parker store tomorrow they make hoses while you wait so I’m gonna see if they can put the proper ends on for me.
Stay tuned..

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
On the tractor side I am also going to put some sort of support/maybe small hose clamps or something to Secure the lines and the couplers.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Also about these k’bota flat face connectors,

I was correct ....
the connectors themselves definitely do not lock together

Everything is held together by one stupid latch.

A recipe for leakage sooner or later

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Talked to the dealer this a.m. and he advised that there have been revisions made to the coupler block both top and bottom AGAIN. So, sounds like they are going to change everything again.
Did they update your tractor yet?