Tractor shed for L3901 - do you have dirt or ccrt floor?

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
we have an open front run in shed with 3 bays, it is 20' x 30', dirt floor, no power. Its where we keep the L3901 with implements- storage only. It was $8,500 materials and labor, all rough sawn wood from a mill. It stays dry in there so we saw no advantage to purtting gravel in it.

We have a separate 24 x 24 shop with a concrete floor and power where we do all the maintenance work.

For the larger farms, we keep the MX5800, implements and the Mule in an enclosed barn. It is 24' x 44' with an 8' covered apron on the front. Slab 32' x 44', 4" thick on gravel base with fiber in the concrete was $3,000. The structure, with all rough sawn oak post and beam construction and pine board and batten, 14 foot ceiling at the peak, all of the wood cut and milled on our property and seasoned in stacks, 3 roll up doors , power and water, nice shop area inside, was about $35 a square foot. It is a beautiful building and we paid extra to have it hand built since you see it from the farm house- also custom built of the same materials by the same people around an existing 1910 dog trot cabin, enlarging it to 700 sf.

Much prefer concrete slab floors if you have power and are going to work on things in there.

Where our properties are, taxes are very low. You don't have to have any permits for anything except septic if you have running water and a bathroom. My neighbor said the assessor came out last year after we re-did the house but then our 2019 taxes went down to only $9 an acre on that parcel. The unimproved parcel is only $5 an acre a year.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Concrete under my tractor. I had a dirt floor in the other barn and hated it. I built a new shop after I concreted old barn which the wife took over.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
we have an open front run in shed with 3 bays, it is 20' x 30', dirt floor, no power. Its where we keep the L3901 with implements- storage only. It was $8,500 materials and labor, all rough sawn wood from a mill. It stays dry in there so we saw no advantage to purtting gravel in it.

We have a separate 24 x 24 shop with a concrete floor and power where we do all the maintenance work.

For the larger farms, we keep the MX5800, implements and the Mule in an enclosed barn. It is 24' x 44' with an 8' covered apron on the front. Slab 32' x 44', 4" thick on gravel base with fiber in the concrete was $3,000. The structure, with all rough sawn oak post and beam construction and pine board and batten, 14 foot ceiling at the peak, all of the wood cut and milled on our property and seasoned in stacks, 3 roll up doors , power and water, nice shop area inside, was about $35 a square foot. It is a beautiful building and we paid extra to have it hand built since you see it from the farm house- also custom built of the same materials by the same people around an existing 1910 dog trot cabin, enlarging it to 700 sf.

Much prefer concrete slab floors if you have power and are going to work on things in there.

Where our properties are, taxes are very low. You don't have to have any permits for anything except septic if you have running water and a bathroom. My neighbor said the assessor came out last year after we re-did the house but then our 2019 taxes went down to only $9 an acre on that parcel. The unimproved parcel is only $5 an acre a year.
I was original thinking of doing a 20x30 steel shed with dirt floor (crushed stone, maybe). How is the space line with your tractor & implements? What do you have with your L3901?
I have a 21'x7' camper I want to store with L3901, bb1266 box cutter, & eventually the bh77. You think all this will fit?

jtboney1

Equipment
L2501
Jul 11, 2018
Mobile, Alabama
Thanks.
I live in rural America about 15 miles from town on 42+ acres and totally off grid & bad road leading to my ppty. I don't think any assessor wants to drive out here.
My ground is super hard (clay) when dry & like a mud bog when wet. I wasn't sure I wanted ccrt due to cost so needed some good input on this.
Don't know about your state but mine and my neighboring state started a few years ago taking aerial photographs in each county and also use satellite images that are readily available. They then compare the new ones with the previous ones and :eek:"BAM":eek: there's your new shed on your remote property. I don't know if they then go out to your property or assess a value from the photos but I know of two people that got a surprise when they got their new tax statements.:mad:

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Don't know about your state but mine and my neighboring state started a few years ago taking aerial photographs in each county and also use satellite images that are readily available. They then compare the new ones with the previous ones and :eek:"BAM":eek: there's your new shed on your remote property. I don't know if they then go out to your property or assess a value from the photos but I know of two people that got a surprise when they got their new tax statements.:mad:
That's ok, where I live I paid about $900 for my 2019 ppty tax. Things are cheap out here.
When I had a permit inspection on my home, the inspector drove to my house looked at it from his car and checked it off his list and said "ok approved" and left. He had to travel 2 hrs to get to my house.

Last edited:

slugo10

Equipment
L3901
Dec 4, 2018
Saucier, MS
I just have a box blade, 6' brush hog, and forks. All are left outside except the mower and it is under a carport out of the rain. I finally built a shop a wanted. Put a 10k lift in it also. Cable tv, internet, Ac and heat.
66CB3B9D-B0DC-4741-B131-9D1F28860153.jpg

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Artinaz, you mentioned mud....it might be worth your while to get a pad graded and concrete poured if you are going to live there a while. Mine is 30 by 50 I think, and the concrete is worth it. I can roll implements around by myself, which wouldn't happen on gravel or dirt. I wished I'd built it years ago. I have a horsetrailer 2 compact tractors and a Gator in it. 3 overhead doors. I made a diagram and cut out scale models of everything, and that was about the bare minimum, but had to turf the manure spreader out.

Some of the guys increase their storage space by building racks and storing implements on pallets that they lift with their tractors and pallet forks. You have to have the wall space and straight on access.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Artinaz, you mentioned mud....it might be worth your while to get a pad graded and concrete poured if you are going to live there a while. Mine is 30 by 50 I think, and the concrete is worth it. I can roll implements around by myself, which wouldn't happen on gravel or dirt. I wished I'd built it years ago. I have a horsetrailer 2 compact tractors and a Gator in it. 3 overhead doors. I made a diagram and cut out scale models of everything, and that was about the bare minimum, but had to turf the manure spreader out.

Some of the guys increase their storage space by building racks and storing implements on pallets that they lift with their tractors and pallet forks. You have to have the wall space and straight on access.
That does make sense, thanks sheepfarmer. I'll be here until I die (another 30-40 yrs) :).
Concrete's much more expensive than gravel but there's no sense in "cutting off your nose to spite your face", right? I'm thinking of both options. I decided when my tractor & implements are delivered, I'm going to put them where I'll store them, add about 4 ft around perimeter for space needed to move around & build a footprint from that. Like someone on the forum stated "never cut yourself short".

I appreciate the input.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If the space is going to have a camper parked on it why not leave it dirt and concrete the rest. You can always concrete it later. Also you might make the walls tall enough that you can build a lean to on the sides and rear as needed. If the are never needed then very little extra money was spent.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
If the space is going to have a camper parked on it why not leave it dirt and concrete the rest. You can always concrete it later. Also you might make the walls tall enough that you can build a lean to on the sides and rear as needed. If the are never needed then very little extra money was spent.
I only want to deal with everything once & don't care for gobacks. I was thinking of 11 ft sides which, I think, will be ample room for everything. I received quotes on a 12 ft & 11 ft sides & there is about a $800 difference.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
For now mine lives in the lean-to of the shed that houses our wood burning boiler. It is just a dirt floor. We just built a garage and I put 10' x 8' doors in. I wanted to be able to get the tractor in the garage with the ROPS up. My backhoe lives in the shop area of the garage right now on a dolly.

Hope to build something to put the tractor and all the attachments in. It will have a concert floor.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
For now mine lives in the lean-to of the shed that houses our wood burning boiler. It is just a dirt floor. We just built a garage and I put 10' x 8' doors in. I wanted to be able to get the tractor in the garage with the ROPS up. My backhoe lives in the shop area of the garage right now on a dolly.

Hope to build something to put the tractor and all the attachments in. It will have a concert floor.
What size dolly do you have for the backhoe? Is it one you built or did you find it at a retailer? I want to keep the backhoe attached but there will be times when it will come off & stored.