Tractor shed for L3901 - do you have dirt or ccrt floor?

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
I ordered my L3901 tractor with a 4in1 bucket, box blade cutter (BB1266), and eventually will have BH77 backhoe after shed is built.

I was wondering if anyone has a dirt or ccrt floor for their shed. For economysake, I was thing of having a dirt floor with gravel added for more stability. Any thoughts / recommendations on this?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Mine lives under a carport on gravel. Would love to build a shop one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I park mine in the old horse barn along with my mower and implements. Since one half of the barn was dirt to walk and ride horses, that is where the equipment is now.

I took out half of the stables on one side and now use it for my shop.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No shed here, too small. I have a 45 x 16 x 100 foot truss arch building with an engineered sand floor because we erected it on a grade (with retaining wall). Have no issue with sand, drains well and other than tracking it into my tractors when getting in (whisk broom takes care of that), in 15+ years never been an issue.

Don't want concrete, it cracks and gravel might be an option if I wasn't happy with the sand.

Being a farmer and paying enough real estate as it is. I prefer a truss arch building with a sand floor because in this state at least, it's considered a moveable building and as such is not taxable.

Which is some thing everyone needs to consider when erecting a 'tractor home' Stick built structures with rat walls are considered a permanent structure and can be taxed accordingly (depending on your state law of course) and don't assume just because you erect one without a building permit that it won't be taxed because your local assessor is always looking at various properties for new revenue. It's their job.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
No shed here, too small. I have a 45 x 16 x 100 foot truss arch building with an engineered sand floor because we erected it on a grade (with retaining wall). Have no issue with sand, drains well and other than tracking it into my tractors when getting in (whisk broom takes care of that), in 15+ years never been an issue.

Don't want concrete, it cracks and gravel might be an option if I wasn't happy with the sand.

Being a farmer and paying enough real estate as it is. I prefer a truss arch building with a sand floor because in this state at least, it's considered a moveable building and as such is not taxable.

Which is some thing everyone needs to consider when erecting a 'tractor home' Stick built structures with rat walls are considered a permanent structure and can be taxed accordingly (depending on your state law of course) and don't assume just because you erect one without a building permit that it won't be taxed because your local assessor is always looking at various properties for new revenue. It's their job.
Thanks.
I live in rural America about 15 miles from town on 42+ acres and totally off grid & bad road leading to my ppty. I don't think any assessor wants to drive out here.
My ground is super hard (clay) when dry & like a mud bog when wet. I wasn't sure I wanted ccrt due to cost so needed some good input on this.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
All my A-C D-14s have there own 9 by 12 shed, with gravel floors. ANy bigger and I'd need building permits($100s), eng. dwgs($1,000), eng stamp( $700+) and NO complaints from neighbours.....
I'd really like everything to be under one roof but...that ain't happening..

Sheds only cost me 500 Canucks, sitting on 4by8 pavers, been 5-6 years now...
Jay

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I usually put it on to store it. When the weather is good and dry I will leave it sit out in the yard. I do a lot of swapping between the hoe and 3 pt implements. Been a little wet here lately so I have it on to keep it out of the mud.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
I usually put it on to store it. When the weather is good and dry I will leave it sit out in the yard. I do a lot of swapping between the hoe and 3 pt implements. Been a little wet here lately so I have it on to keep it out of the mud.
That's what I was thinking, to keep it on for storage. How long is tractor with backhoe attached? Need to see what size shed I'll need so it can store the tractor with fel, backhoe, box cutter (bb1266), and a 21'x7' A-Frame camper.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The place I bought down the hill from you was a horse property that came with a pretty nice horsey setup. I turned the stalls in to storage and park my tractor on the concrete pull-through inside the building, just outside of the stalls.

We have a clay layer down here and caliche (natural concrete layer common to AZ) as well. My barn used to drain and the water would get between the slab and caliche layer and my tools would rust in my workshop. I improved my runoff with drains and no more humidity.

The question is, where is the nearest concrete plant from you and what do they charge. I noticed your trailer... What are you doing for security when you are on the road for a couple of weeks? Sure would be nice to put siding on your shed and a door. My key operates your tractor like your ignition key operates mine. If you concrete a long pad you could park your trailer on concrete as well.

Gravel is not cheap and if you drop anything like a screw, it's often game over. Your call.

:)

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
That's what I was thinking, to keep it on for storage. How long is tractor with backhoe attached? Need to see what size shed I'll need so it can store the tractor with fel, backhoe, box cutter (bb1266), and a 21'x7' A-Frame camper.
Just measured it, it is just over 18 ft from front edge of loader bucket (has toothbar that adds a couple inches) to the back of the backhoe in its stowed position. My tractor is the previous series as yours, I don’t know if the dimensions changed much with the added emission equipment on yours. I’m pretty sure you are getting the same LA525 loader I have and the BH77 will be the same.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The place I bought down the hill from you was a horse property that came with a pretty nice horsey setup. I turned the stalls in to storage and park my tractor on the concrete pull-through inside the building, just outside of the stalls.

We have a clay layer down here and caliche (natural concrete layer common to AZ) as well. My barn used to drain and the water would get between the slab and caliche layer and my tools would rust in my workshop. I improved my runoff with drains and no more humidity.

The question is, where is the nearest concrete plant from you and what do they charge. I noticed your trailer... What are you doing for security when you are on the road for a couple of weeks? Sure would be nice to put siding on your shed and a door. My key operates your tractor like your ignition key operates mine. If you concrete a long pad you could park your trailer on concrete as well.

Gravel is not cheap and if you drop anything like a screw, it's often game over. Your call.

Ray, I think you are referring to my pic and not the OP’s. The camper is a friends and will be gone next week lol. Can’t wait! As for security, I don’t worry much where I’m at.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake

When I had my floor poured for my garage, it cost $20k for a 30x40, which I thought was quite expensive. Was hoping to go the cheaper route with steel shed & sidings.
What trailer are you talking about, my camper or were you looking at someone else's post? I used to live in Chandler & now in Snowflake since May.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
The M sits in a dirt floored drive shed off the rear of my barn with open ends and lumber, pallets and roof metal leaning along and up the open side wall. The entire barn and shed are timber framed on 8x8 PT timbers sitting on sand and 3/4 crush stone. My town still taxes the structure even though it is notx hrd founded to the ground

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I'm fortunate since the property we bought came with a large steel garage with concrete floor. I'm older, and concrete is a huge bonus for me since I can move the implements around on a dolly by myself to put them on the tractor.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thanks.
I live in rural America about 15 miles from town on 42+ acres and totally off grid & bad road leading to my ppty. I don't think any assessor wants to drive out here.
My ground is super hard (clay) when dry & like a mud bog when wet. I wasn't sure I wanted ccrt due to cost so needed some good input on this.
So do my wife and I. We have a working farm at the end of the powerline on the end of a long dirt road that I have to plow in the winter if I want to get out so I'm in the same boat just like you

However, this is the 21st century and assessors don't come 'visit; your place anymore. They use aerial photography aka: Goggle maps, powerline photography and other air borne tools to see your property and outbuildings and then they compare older pictures with recent ones and if a building suddenly springs up, then they may make a visit or they may assess through the photographs only.

You cannot hide today, big brother is always watching.

When I put up my big Clearspan years ago. I didn't say anything to the township because I knew it wasn't a taxable structure under Michigan law but about a year later n assessor did come out and look because it showed up on an aerial survey.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The M sits in a dirt floored drive shed off the rear of my barn with open ends and lumber, pallets and roof metal leaning along and up the open side wall. The entire barn and shed are timber framed on 8x8 PT timbers sitting on sand and 3/4 crush stone. My town still taxes the structure even though it is notx hrd founded to the ground
Some do and some don't but here in Michigan it's not up to the local entities to set the rules, it's a state thing. I just operate within those parameters.

Did that for my wife when she was raising draft horses too. Put up a 6 stall horse barn that was entirely moveable (took a couple big Steigers to move it) but it was not fastened to the ground in any way so no RE taxes.

Horses are long gone but the cattle sure like it.:)

biglefty

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301. loader an backhoe, EA grapple, Titan pallet forks, brush hog 18ft. landsc
Jun 23, 2019
PA.
When I had my floor poured for my garage, it cost $20k for a 30x40, which I thought was quite expensive. Was hoping to go the cheaper route with steel shed & sidings.
What trailer are you talking about, my camper or were you looking at someone else's post? I used to live in Chandler & now in Snowflake since May.
20k for a 30x40 concrete floor is not only expensive its down right robbery. I just got 2 prices to have a 30x30 floor done 5" thick with wire both at between 4500 to 5000. I thought that was a lot now I feel like what a deal.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
So do my wife and I. We have a working farm at the end of the powerline on the end of a long dirt road that I have to plow in the winter if I want to get out so I'm in the same boat just like you

However, this is the 21st century and assessors don't come 'visit; your place anymore. They use aerial photography aka: Goggle maps, powerline photography and other air borne tools to see your property and outbuildings and then they compare older pictures with recent ones and if a building suddenly springs up, then they may make a visit or they may assess through the photographs only.

You cannot hide today, big brother is always watching.

When I put up my big Clearspan years ago. I didn't say anything to the township because I knew it wasn't a taxable structure under Michigan law but about a year later n assessor did come out and look because it showed up on an aerial survey.
Lol, I know what you mean. I had my home built end of May this year & looked at Google maps in September, I saw my house.

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
I have a neighbor that used asphalt grindings in his pole building as well as entry ramp. I believe he paid $150 per 8 cubic foot load. Delivery cost more than the grindings. He used a tamper to compact it and it’s a pretty solid surface.