FEL hooks

Rideon

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501, BH77, LA525.
May 24, 2019
SC. USA
What size hooks should I install on my bucket? Will 5/16 chain work with 3/8 hooks?

Thanks

Doug

Fox400

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534, BH77, RCR1260, RB1660
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
I also ordered from Ken. Great hooks! All of my chains are 3/8" and his 5/16" hooks work fine with all of my chains. Those hooks have proven to be so much more useful than I imagined.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I still don't have the heart to drill into my bucket, so I made some 'slip-on' hooks that get fixed with a single 3/8" bolt.
BTW, a $28 item in the USofA, once xchange,shipping, HSt (13%taxes) get tallied up, it's close to $60 !

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Used Kens hooks on my BX23 with the clevis pin backers. Work great for me

MotorCityBear

Equipment
L3901
Aug 3, 2019
Blairsville, GA
I also have Ken’s hooks and they are great. I was a bit apprehensive about drilling into my brand new bucket but his instructions made it easy and they are very useful.

Michael In Tennessee

Equipment
MX4800HST
Mar 14, 2018
Niota, TN
I still don't have the heart to drill into my bucket, so I made some 'slip-on' hooks that get fixed with a single 3/8" bolt.
BTW, a $28 item in the USofA, once xchange,shipping, HSt (13%taxes) get tallied up, it's close to $60 !
I think my bucket lasted 3 weeks before being drilled. Get over it. Have you put dirt and rocks in it yet? It's a tool, treat it as such. Hooks are darned useful.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I too, have a pair of Kenny's Bolt-on-Hooks. Very well made and great service. Very stout, no way is my BX25D going to be able to stress out the mounts!:)

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I have a welder and welded 3 - 3/8" hooks on the top of my bucket. 1 in the middle and 1 on each end of the bucket. The end hooks are basically to strap things in the bucket. Like barrels. I would only pull or lift with a center hook. And yes a 3/8" hook will work down to a 1/4" chain.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I like a slip hook in the middle, as it is easier to use a strap on a slip hook.

When using a chain I simply pass it through the slip hook over to a side grab hook. I only lift with the side hooks, or pull with them, if both are used at the same time to keep loading equal on both sides.

For me this layout is ideal. The grab hooks are 3/8 inch.

Picture was taken when I was adding reinforcement to my bucket sides after bending one side somehow.

Attachments

Last edited:

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
I was talking with a friend of mine that worked in excavation, he told me I should put the hooks on the inside of the bucket especially if I plan on pulling or lifting heavy items. If ever a chain, cable, or strap breaks under tension the bucket will act as a shield rather than it flying over the top and possibly hitting the operator.

I haven't mounted any hooks on my bucket yet but I think i might take his advice. Anyone else have thoughts on that?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I don't believe a chain will fly very far. Each individual link does not stretch very far so if something snaps there's not much overall movement. It is generally good practice to run a second chain over it so if it does snap the second chain, not under tension, will catch the first. As far as straps or cables you are stretching the whole length and it WILL fly. Will it stay in the bucket if the hook is in the bucket? I think that will depend on the actual angle of the pull. With the Kubota bucket I don't think the hook would be as well supported inside the bucket as behind the rolled edge such as happens with Ken's hooks. You do bring up some interesting food for thought, though. For me it's not all that relevant. I've already mounted hooks outside the bucket. I guess I could add another inside but probably won't.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I was talking with a friend of mine that worked in excavation, he told me I should put the hooks on the inside of the bucket especially if I plan on pulling or lifting heavy items. If ever a chain, cable, or strap breaks under tension the bucket will act as a shield rather than it flying over the top and possibly hitting the operator.

I haven't mounted any hooks on my bucket yet but I think i might take his advice. Anyone else have thoughts on that?
While this is true, you have to put things in perspective. Your're tractor can lift how much? Your're tractor can exert how much force on a chain?

If your using good quality 5/16" G70 hooks and chain (not from Horrible Fright) then it's rated for 4,700 pounds, with a 4-1 design factor, that means it's not expected to fail before 4x the rating, or 18,800 pounds.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
As far as broken chains go, I have replaced many back glasses in trucks from chains breaking and coming back and hitting the glass. Also on my kubota had one not break but it ripped the tow hook off my stuck F250 and came back, broke out one of the tail light housings and shattered the SMV sign right behind my seat. I wouldn’t have tried doing what I was doing using the loader bucket though. Like Ken says your loader isn’t going to exert the force.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I would highly recommend Ken's Bolt on Hooks. We have them on my tractor (L3560) and on my dad's MF383. We use them all the time, from pulling out brush, dragging logs, carrying various pieces of equipment.

Attachments

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA

My bucket "hook."

Bruce

Attachments

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Ken's products look like a great solution, solid product and nice complete kit. If the shipping, exchange rate and customs didn't add so much on I would definitely grab a couple.

That said, I think for lifting the hooks on the top of the bucket are fine, all the force is going upwards and as others have mentioned you can only apply the force of the FEL lift capacity. So pretty low risk of something happening if you are using good products. Probably what I will add on my bucket as well. For pulling though I think that a hook inside the bucket, like what BCP posted, is a safer alternative. When you pull you not only have the FEL lift capacity but the tractors pulling capacity to consider, also the chain or strap doesn't have to snap, the attachment point could slip or snap as well sending it back at the tractor. Having the hook inside the bucket increases the chance that the bucket will catch or deflect it, it might not and of course you should use caution all the time, but why not put as much on your side as possible

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As far as broken chains go, I have replaced many back glasses in trucks from chains breaking and coming back and hitting the glass.
Yeah - seen that. Proud to say I never did it! :p

The guy with the truck gets a running start, and the chain goes taut at 30 mph....:eek:

Saw one buddy leave his hitch, bumper, etc. in the dirt still chained up as he sped away!! :eek::eek: