BX Lights! & Thanks!

lunasdude

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, FEL, quick con pto, box bld, land plane, flail mower
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
Greetings everyone!
First off I wanted to say a very heartfelt thank you to everyone here.
I lurked around for years before actually pulling the trigger and getting a Kubota BX1880 last year.
This little Kubota has become indispensable!
Because of this group and one other tractor forum, I have learned so much and usually can find answers for what I need or at least get a general ideal of where to look.

Below is my led light project with photos!
Please feel free to ask any questions, comment, yell at me, etc.
Again, that you all so very much!

Paul

These LED'S are 60W per light front and side floods for a total of 240 watts.
I would have put more but that's at or near the maximum amps can pull.:D

Mounted a lighted weatherproof switch that lights up when the LED'S are on near the headlight switch.

Used a trailer wiring box for a clean water proof install.
Put a relay in wiring box with a trigger when the key is on.

Mounted LED'S on the ROPS on each side with a bracket.

Front view & Rear view.

I may be small but I will be SEEN!:cool:

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
In the infamous words of Richard B Riddick,,,,, What took you so long ? :D
It looks like you have everything pretty well covered with a well thought out installation..Ya done good ;)

lunasdude

Equipment
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
In the infamous words of Richard B Riddick,,,,, What took you so long ? :D
It looks like you have everything pretty well covered with a well thought out installation..Ya done good ;)
I know, I should have gotten a tractor a loooong time ago.:eek:

Thank you, I did ok because of all of the ideals I got off of the forums!

Y’all are great!

lunasdude

Equipment
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
Very nice. Lighting the areas to the sides of the tractor is really helpful.
Thank you.
I found these particular LED flood lights on Amazon and they literally have LED'S built in to the side and in actual usage they seem throw about 20% as much as being projected forwards.
That probably explains why they are so bright and use 60 watts each!:eek:

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
I've wanted to do this same thing for a while but the wiring intimidates me. I can do the some of actual electrical like making connections but figuring out the actual wire to jump off of and such intimidates me a little.

Last edited:

lunasdude

Equipment
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
I've wanted to do this same thing for a while but the wiring intimidates me. I can do the some of actual electrical like making connections but figuring out the actual wire to jump off of and such intimidates me a little.
Understood, it can be intimidating.
I Have some small knowledge Of electrical connections.
Your install can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.
In the case of my BX it has 3 wires on it's tail, left side, taped up.
There is a negative wire, 1 positive 10 amp which runs thru the key switch.
And one that is always on with a higher fused amp capacity.

You need a ohm meter which will help identify power and is a general help.

You simply find and identify the wires, get some good wiring and a switch.
Mount everything and test it out.

I went a little more complicated, used a wiring diagram to keep myself clear a relay and a wiring box for a clean install.

If you do not want to get too complicated you can do a straight wiring job.
just make sure you use a switch and it really would be good if you could use a relay if you can figure it out, if not you should be OK as long as you don’t exceed the fuse capacity.

If you do you will simply blow fuse if you have to Have fewer lights.

Good luck!

Attachments

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I was pretty intimidated as I had never done a wiring install like the lights. I actually found it to be quite a bit easier than I thought. I ended up wiring to the "always on" wire in the back under the fender. Here's a pic where the bundle is located:

Downside to the always on is you could drain your battery if you left it running. Upside is you dont need your engine keyed on (which I think also runs the hour meter) to use them and I believe you can pull more amps.

The dumb-as-me way was to just buy two wiring harnesses with the relays and such already built in, one for my side lights and one for my top bar. I'm sure you can wire the relays super cheap yourself with some learning and looking at diagrams. I think I got both wire harnesses at Tractor Supply as there's no difference what we're doing here than someone mounting a bar on an ATV or truck and they stock all the parts, even quick connect harnesses for more $$. Get the lights working off the tractor, then just wire it final after.

lunasdude

Equipment
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
I was pretty intimidated as I had never done a wiring install like the lights. I actually found it to be quite a bit easier than I thought. I ended up wiring to the "always on" wire in the back under the fender. Here's a pic where the bundle is located:

Downside to the always on is you could drain your battery if you left it running. Upside is you dont need your engine keyed on (which I think also runs the hour meter) to use them and I believe you can pull more amps.

The dumb-as-me way was to just buy two wiring harnesses with the relays and such already built in, one for my side lights and one for my top bar. I'm sure you can wire the relays super cheap yourself with some learning and looking at diagrams. I think I got both wire harnesses at Tractor Supply as there's no difference what we're doing here than someone mounting a bar on an ATV or truck and they stock all the parts, even quick connect harnesses for more $$. Get the lights working off the tractor, then just wire it final after.
Whatever works for you is the best way to go!:cool:
As far as the wiring, I did do it myself BUT if there had been a plug & play option even if it was more money I would have done it in a heartbeat!:D

Also, I believe in most newer Kubotas, the hour meter is tied to Engine running not the key, could be wrong but I believe I have read this recently here.:confused:

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Great job! I like how you mounted your mirrors! I have the same roof and mounted my mirrors the same way.

lunasdude

Equipment
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
Great job! I like how you mounted your mirrors! I have the same roof and mounted my mirrors the same way.
Thanks! Have 4 mirrors,2 on the canopy and 2 clamped on to the fel.
Like to see what I am backing in to and like seeing what is coming up behind me when I go out on the road!

Call me small and paranoid!:D

Tightlinesian

Equipment
Bucket, backhoe, snow blower
Nov 29, 2019
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Hi all ... I’m a newbie here ... love the forum and appreciate how helpful everyone is! Thanks! I have a BX25D and want to add two ROPS lights facing to the rear for snow blowing ... I keep hearing about the wires available at the back but I’ll be darned if I can locate these wires/connections! What am I missing!?! I see the wires for the tail light and 4 ways but no pigtails anywhere? Also if I can find these wires will I still need a relay as part of wiring in led lights? Thanks everyone for guidance ... this should be simple ... maybe it’s just he that’s simple! :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Look for some electrical tape just to the left of the top link mount. The wires are usually taped up.
A relay is the best way to go, but mine LED’s are small with little draw. I just powered them through the circuit without a relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tightlinesian

Equipment
Bucket, backhoe, snow blower
Nov 29, 2019
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Thanks RCW ... I will have another look! I am contemplating two small lights as well ... is there a maximum wattage or amperage that I should consider? Sorry for simply questions folks but as I said I am a newbie!