Need a new one: T2290 or GR2120?

Skeezix

Equipment
T1670
Oct 1, 2019
Elk River, MN
All,

I'm looking to replace my old T1670 with another Kubota. The lawn is just under an acre.

My decision is down to the new-ish 2290 w/ 48" deck, or the diesel GR2120 w/ 48" deck.

I know I don't 'need' the GR but would love the diesel.

If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it! There is very little information on the T2290 tractors available.

HoCoMDVol

Equipment
GR2120
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
All,

I'm looking to replace my old T1670 with another Kubota. The lawn is just under an acre.

My decision is down to the new-ish 2290 w/ 48" deck, or the diesel GR2120 w/ 48" deck.

I know I don't 'need' the GR but would love the diesel.

If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it! There is very little information on the T2290 tractors available.
I have used the GR2120-2 for the last 2 mowing seasons, bought it brand-new. 54-inch deck and I mow ~ 1.75-2 acres with it. It is a beast, and I highly recommend it. I have no experience with the other that you mention, but my ride puts to SHAME any other riding mower/tractor that I've owned before. My experience thus far says that you won't be disappointed.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I believe the diesel models are generally seen as being heavier duty than the gasoline ones. They are also more fuel efficient, but more expensive to buy.

One relevant consideration is whether you already have diesel vehicles - i.e. will you now need to keep diesel around where if you had gas you could share with your other mowers and implements. It's not a massive deal, but worth considering. Also some people (and some people's partners) don't like the smell of diesel.

Are you sure you don't need a BX? You know you do really......

marchanna

Equipment
GR2120
May 2, 2018
Pictou County Nova Scotia
I have a GR2120 also. I have the 54” belly mower and a front mount snow blower for it. It is a pretty formidable little machine. I mow about 3 acres at at time with steep hills and some rough terrain.

It can go up a 35-degree incline without missing a beat and it holds well on the bumpy terrain. I have to slow down quite a bit when I get into the 18’-deep and wet grass but other than that I mow at full speed. It can cut a very tight circle, but not as tight a zero-turn, but then again, a zero-turn would not be suitable for my property. It has I nice low center of gravity also, such that, when mowing across inclines, the limitation has only been my ability to hold on.

As far as clearing snow, this is where is really shines. It’s a snow assassin!

My only complaint is that the snow blower doesn’t rise very high, so it’s a little difficult getting it loaded in a trailer with moderately inclined ramps. I have however seen the quick connect mounting system for the blower, which seems to provide a little more lift.

If you’re in a cold climate, it starts very easily in the cold, however, a block heater would be nice for getting it warmed up faster. Unfortunately a standard frost block heater won’t fit into it, so you have to buy Kubota’s kit, which I was quoted at about $200.

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
For the price of the GR series have you considered just moving into the BX series?

The glide steer is a nice feature of the GR....but those little T series turn pretty sharp too.

Last edited: