Keeping Bessie II Warm

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Good morning all! Sorry, but I can’t ignore it any longer. Winter’s comin’, and this is my first one with a tractor. I need some advice from the polar bears in the group.

Bessie II is my Kubota B2601. She’s kept in a closed but unheated barn, and we’ll be down into the teens and once in a while the single digits here in North Idaho.

I’ve seen hard-installed engine block heaters, but would prefer something “non-invasive” like the Kats Handi Heat Magnum. Would this be attached to the transmission fluid reservoir? On the radiator? Would a “dip stick” heater be enough?

Should I keep a trickle charger on the factory-new battery over night?

How about the non-gel fuel treatments? Does it get cold enough to warrant them?

Someone made a Naugahyde magnetic “snood” that covered their tractor’s grill and side panels to keep the engine warmer. That looks pretty cool and might keep snow from getting into the engine compartment...

I’ll be throwing snow with a front mounted, PTO driven commercial grade blower, and plowing/scraping with a back blade.

North Idaho Wolfman, you’re just up the road from me. What do you think? Would these things even be necessary up here?

Thanks everyone for your experience.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
My garage is heated so I don’t have this dilemma, but this what I would look at.
Always use Stanadyne fuel treatment year-round, never have had a issue.
I’d opt for the OME Block heater using either Thermostat or a wi-fi type timer to turn it on when you know it’s going to be needed.

:)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gene -

I'm near Tom, but he gets ALOT more snow!

We sometimes swing from -20F to 60F in a couple days.

Mine is in an attached, but unheated garage. I do not have a block heater.

Besides Tom's recommendations, I would also suggest a battery maintainer. There's a recent thread here about them.

Also, early on I switched from conventional 15w-40 motor oil to synthetic Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. The 5w allows the engine to turn over much better than a 10w or 15w when cold. (You always want to use a diesel-rated motor oil).

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well,, to be honest mine is in an unheated garage too, but I did put a battery tender on her. I never have seen a point where I needed a heater.
SO out fire up the glow plugs for 15 or 20 seconds and start it,, go in have a second cup of coffee and when I come out all the fluids are warmed up and shes ready to go,,,, NEVER USE ANY STARTER FLUID ON YOUR KUBOTA,,,,, that is bad JuJu for them

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
A simple, old fashioned way is to set an incandescent bulb right under the engine block in Winter, or at least the night before.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
put an inline heater in available at most auto stores goes into rad hoses the coolant circulates thru the block not too expensive my L3300 has read the book down to 26 degrees she starts below that plug in
[B

SAITCHO

Equipment
B26,Tajfun logging winch,Box scraper, Log grapple
Sep 5, 2016
Canada
What dont you like about the block heater? I have one installed on the B26 TLB and the tractor start like its summer each time. Its a pretty easy DIY job, at least on mine. I have it plugged into a remote controlled outlet and give it a couple hours of warm up before each use in the winter.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I added the Kubota block heater to my B7500. It needs to be plugged in for 15 to 30 minutes when the temperatures are below 32f. Other than that I don't use it.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I use anti-gel year round. That's mostly because the fuel is in a drum and it guarantees the fuel will be treated at the correct ratio regardless of when it gets used or added to.

The 5 tractors I've had here since around 1990 have all started without being heated. Glowplugs were enough. Our weather is often in the teens with an oddball zero or slightly below.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good morning all! Sorry, but I can’t ignore it any longer. Winter’s comin’, and this is my first one with a tractor. I need some advice from the polar bears in the group.

Bessie II is my Kubota B2601. She’s kept in a closed but unheated barn, and we’ll be down into the teens and once in a while the single digits here in North Idaho.

I’ve seen hard-installed engine block heaters, but would prefer something “non-invasive” like the Kats Handi Heat Magnum. Would this be attached to the transmission fluid reservoir? On the radiator? Would a “dip stick” heater be enough?

Someone made a Naugahyde magnetic “snood” that covered their tractor’s grill and side panels to keep the engine warmer. That looks pretty cool and might keep snow from getting into the engine compartment...

I’ll be throwing snow with a front mounted, PTO driven commercial grade blower, and plowing/scraping with a back blade.

North Idaho Wolfman, you’re just up the road from me. What do you think? Would these things even be necessary up here?

I would say first rethink it a little and install a block heater, they are a lifesaver up here!
All the other heater options are just a waste of you money and won't do a lot of good.
Plan on setting up so you can remotely turn it on about an hour before you wanna use it.
Gssixgun has a trick remote setup with a light to let him know it's on.

Get a good battery tender, something that will maintain the battery and be quick to connect and disconnect.

We live in an area that the off road diesel is already be treated for gelling, but it doesn't hurt to treat it again if there is any concern.
I also treat all my fuel with Stanadyne and Soltron (Napa) to keep all the other issues at bay.

Is this your first winter up here?

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
One of the cheapest partial solutions is to get a battery blanket. It won't keep your engine warm, but it will the battery. Cold batteries lose a huge chunk of starting power, and won't recharge as well as they should. Keeping them warm will extend the life of your battery, give you more cranking amps, and only cost you about 60 watts of electric power.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

Treat all diesel with winterizing additive. If you do start the tractor in the winter, be sure and let it run for at least an hour (keep battery charged).

That is all I do. Mine sits in an unseated garage and starts just as easily in the winter as it does in the summer.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Gene,
You had to go a provoke winter didn't ya, it came down like a hammer! :p

I do believe this is the earliest snow I've ever seen up here.

All around us the mountains are white! :eek:

We had about 4" of snow on the ground during the worst of it. :(

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
NIW keep all that white stuff out there we don't want any this year. :D

Gene,

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Gene,

Was wondering how it was up your way after I saw the evening news where they showed 4 FEET in Montana! Sure hope we don't get any of that. October snows when the leaves are still on the trees cause no end of problems.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Was wondering how it was up your way after I saw the evening news where they showed 4 FEET in Montana! Sure hope we don't get any of that. October snows when the leaves are still on the trees cause no end of problems.
We survived the snow, then last night it was just plain COLD, 24 degrees.

They are calling for a really hard winter up here, they say we are to get lots of deep heavy snow. :eek:

The last 2 years have been heavy snow and they are saying this year will dwarf the other years. :mad:

Not really looking forward to it! :(

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
We survived the snow, then last night it was just plain COLD, 24 degrees.

They are calling for a really hard winter up here, they say we are to get lots of deep heavy snow. :eek:

The last 2 years have been heavy snow and they are saying this year will dwarf the other years. :mad:

Not really looking forward to it! :(
So ... what I'm hearing, is that this would be a good year to book a trip to Grand Targhee :)

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I owned a 2013 B2920 until this year (traded for a new L2501). It is essentially the same as a B2601. I live in NH, the more northerly half, and we temps routinely below zero. Lots of snow as well. My B2920 was my snow plow. I kept it under a carport. No block heater. No battery tender. When the temps were forecast to drop below 10F, I'd put some diesel anti-gel from my pickup truck in the tank. To be honest, I never, ever, had a situation where it wouldn't start. Run the glow plugs a little longer, a few cycles, and it would immediately start. My Kubota dealer recommended 15w40 all year round. I opted for the alternate approved oil in the owner's manual, which is 10w30. Non synthetic. Always started and ran just fine. Furthermore, when I traded the tractor, it still had the original battery in it.

So frankly, I don't think special oils, battery blankets, block heaters, battery tenders, lightbulbs under the transmission, or heated garages are necessary.

The biggest challenge with a B2601 in the winter is staying warm!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I owned a 2013 B2920 until this year (traded for a new L2501). It is essentially the same as a B2601. I live in NH, the more northerly half, and we temps routinely below zero. Lots of snow as well. My B2920 was my snow plow. I kept it under a carport. No block heater. No battery tender. When the temps were forecast to drop below 10F, I'd put some diesel anti-gel from my pickup truck in the tank. To be honest, I never, ever, had a situation where it wouldn't start. Run the glow plugs a little longer, a few cycles, and it would immediately start. My Kubota dealer recommended 15w40 all year round. I opted for the alternate approved oil in the owner's manual, which is 10w30. Non synthetic. Always started and ran just fine. Furthermore, when I traded the tractor, it still had the original battery in it.

So frankly, I don't think special oils, battery blankets, block heaters, battery tenders, lightbulbs under the transmission, or heated garages are necessary.

The biggest challenge with a B2601 in the winter is staying warm!
I think it is dependent on which tractor you have, and how old it is. I have run across Kubota blurbs about redesigned glow plug chambers etc for easier starting. I have no clue as to which models have what. My two, 2013 and 2016 editions are easy to start, dealers told me don't bother with block heaters, and I haven't. If I am not running them long enough to recharge the battery, I leave them on a battery tender and that has been fine. The battery tender use did increase cranking speed on L tractor, but that is an older battery.