Looking for advice on a ballast box

gplouchard

Nov 29, 2016
Posey county, Indiana,US
I recently purchased a new B2601 with 60"FEL and 60"MMM. It is my first tractor and I am looking for info on a ballast box (ideas on making one vs. purchasing one) also how much weight to add. I have nothing added to tires.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For as B it's usually 450 to 800 lbs is about right. ;)
And get the tires filled ASAP!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I recently purchased a new B2601 with 60"FEL and 60"MMM. It is my first tractor and I am looking for info on a ballast box (ideas on making one vs. purchasing one) also how much weight to add. I have nothing added to tires.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Even if cutting grass is something you do a lot - ballasting the tires will not hurt that at all, will not hurt the grass ( grass that is growing well) It will help with traction and counter anything you have in the bucket.

A ballast box can be as simple as a concrete barrel with arms and top link hook up. OR you could make a carry all with rocks or blocks placed in it. Some ballast boxes are just that - heavy weight on rear, where as others can be used to carry small items too.

For simplicity - buy one, for the goal of getting something that can do both, make one! If you have any welding skills, you can fab one up quickly! Then again the concrete barrel is quick and easy too. :D:)

Shepbear

Equipment
B2650, SSQA 60 inch bucket, QA with BB1260 box blade
Jun 1, 2016
San Tan Valley, Az
Maybe take a look at the Titan ballast box at palletforks.com. $239, 800 pound capacity. I just bought a B2650 and if I feel I need more ballast (have filled tires), I will give this a closer look.

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
Maybe take a look at the Titan ballast box at palletforks.com. $239, 800 pound capacity. I just bought a B2650 and if I feel I need more ballast (have filled tires), I will give this a closer look.
I just ordered one of these during their 15% off Black Friday special. It's currently on back order so I'll have to be patient. But, for $203 including shipping (no tax) it's worth the wait!

Ted

Gader69

Equipment
B2601
Jul 31, 2016
Lloydminster Sk. Canada
I have the very same tractor, just happened to mention to my dealer how tippy it was with even half a bucket of black dirt and he wound up giving me a brand new Kubota ballast box. Had a couple laying around that customers never took so I got a deal, just have to buy the branch manager dinner one day.
Filled it up with coarse washed river rock and made a huge improvement.
Just ask your dealer, he may have a deal you can't resist!I never do loader or plow work without it now....

Burgie

Equipment
Kubota B2601HST w/ FEL, 50" reverse tiller & 54" box scraper
Nov 23, 2015
Falcon, Colorado
Hello,

I have a B2620 and the tires are ballasted with RimGuard but I also have a Kubota factory weight box. I added 3/4" stone to it about 3/4 of the way and then made a platform out of some redwood for a storage space and it works fantastic.

Truth be known I really didn't feel like screwing around with barrels and concrete and welding and buying parts; I bought the box when I brought the tractor and am 100% satisfied with it...

Let us know how you make out...:):):)

PorkBolt

Equipment
B2601, 60" MMM, SSQA FEL, Kubota Ballast Box
Sep 22, 2015
Elburn, Illinois
I have the same exact set up you do; got a deal on the Kubota factory box ($240 I think). Set 1 1/2 and 2" pvc pipes for tools and filled with concrete. Made a huge difference.

When not using I store on a 4 faster moving dolly shored up with some 2x6s; it can be lowered and disengaged quickly and moved out of the way.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
If you make one out of a barrel, get a 30 gallon barrel from a car wash. They use them for soap and wax. 30 gal. of concrete = about 600 lbs. I like the PVC pipes idea for shovels/rakes. I would add a hitch receiver also so you can tow a trailer or pull something out. I might even add a plastic slot in the concrete to slide in a chain saw (bar). Plastic barrel won't rust and requires little maintenance.

CO Hal

Equipment
MX4800, loader, bushhog, forklift, rear blade
Sep 10, 2019
Colorado Springs
I'm running 200 lbs of wheel weights and titan ballast box 450 lbs when needed. So far, so good.

CO Hal

Equipment
MX4800, loader, bushhog, forklift, rear blade
Sep 10, 2019
Colorado Springs
Just went through the same evaluation myself. Ended up buying one from Northern tool. With free shipping it was barely more than the cost of steel (at least in my area) for me to fab up, not to mention 3-point pins, welding supplies, my time, etc....

Seems well made enough and plenty good enough quality to hold concrete.

Anyhow, I'm a hard core DIYer but I went against my grain this time.

P.S. I have 200lbs of weight on the wheels, so only added about 700lbs with ballast box and I'm plenty good to move one or two at a time, 12' long, 20" diameter, green pine logs.

check 6

Equipment
BX 2680 FEL and pallet forks aerator ZD1211, RTV500
Apr 8, 2019
Seguin, Texas
My box a kubota product with some mods. First I had a trailer receiver welded to the bottom, then prior to filling the box with concrete I installed two PVC pipes with drain holes at the bottom. I think I have between 400-500 lbs of concrete in the box. The PVC, a great place to safely store a shovel and a rake when I'm out working

Attachments

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I used a lead box. It was the smallest/heaviest I had available. I used a draw bar and created the top mount to be QH compatible. I can grab and go with it sitting on the ground.

B2650 Loaded R4 Tires
Ballast Box is 8"x12"x20" and weighs in at just under 750Lbs.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
NHSleaddog, I'm guessing you had the steel and lead laying around in the scrap pile, otherwise this seems like an expensive build.

According to what I found Lead is going for $0.85/lb. :eek:

Nice build though and like the compact size!

Firefox

Equipment
2650 hst cab,fel,72mmm,48lp forks,48 tiller,PeCo vac,wt box
Mar 15, 2018
Swanton ,Oh
Yep A titan box for about 250$ with 6-700# works great for the B tractors with max load on lp forks. No filled tires but cab model (500#) Box about half full of lead and steel. The only thing I didn't like was that red color It came in.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
NHSleaddog, I'm guessing you had the steel and lead laying around in the scrap pile, otherwise this seems like an expensive build.

According to what I found Lead is going for $0.85/lb. :eek:

Nice build though and like the compact size!
I had made the box years ago for a counterweight on a milling machine. The lead and steel were free. Melting it down must have cost at least a year of my life, so the company let me keep it - lol.

This box has LITERALLY been sitting around for years taking up a 4 wheel dolly. So this was taking something that has always been in the way and a pain to deal with (but too valuable/cool to throw away) and turning into something that is really useful.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I used 16 inch spiral duct. Setup a 1 inch sch 80 black iron pipe in the middle and filled with concrete. 325 pounds for my BX...