B-7800 Something to smooth real fine dirt

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
After using a landscape rake I need something that will smooth fine dirt almost like sand. I don't think a landplane or box scraper will work. I need level high spots and where the rake dug-in.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Sometimes just reversing the rake, taking all the way up on your top link works, at least for me.
A lot depends on what the material is like.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
After using a landscape rake I need something that will smooth fine dirt almost like sand. I don't think a landplane or box scraper will work. I need level high spots and where the rake dug-in.
A drag harrow works great for this application. A old box springs or even a section of chain link fence will work.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I own a Harley Rake, (You Tube video), mounted on a skid steer loader. It will make a yard as flat as a pool table. You might see if there is one for rent local to you. If you need to own one, they are also made for 3 point hitch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A land plane does actually work very well at making sand super level, I know because I did my house foundation pad with it and it ended up within 1" across everywhere.

Box spring works really well too, but they are getting hard to find good ones.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A box blade would work with a long top link, but there are better/cheaper alternatives if that's your only use for a BB.

Like Wolfman and his 'plane, I graded my patio base course with my BB, and it was almost perfect.

Gosh - I recycled 4 perfect old box springs this year from my mother-in-law's house...they'd have been just the ticket!:)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I welded 2 hooks onto a door sized burglar bars. Heavier then a piece of chain link, it stays flat to work on those high spots and is easy to load up on the trailer to transport to a job. If needed it is easy to add some extra weight.

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
I think your Idea was really good. Using fiberglass bed covers that I got from the dealership work really good but they wear pretty fast. I could just drop the landscape rake on the curved part and it smooth well.