Welding Wire

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Just bought a 10 pound box of manganese base hard surface rod from Amazon (delivered yesterday). Lincoln Abrasoweld is very hard to get around here for some reason. Even my AirGas distributor where I get my bottles filled (at the compressor facility) don't have it.

Need to hard rod the bottom of my snow plow shoes, the underside of the skid plates on my disc bine as well.

Got the rod yesterday with instructions that say to 'bake' the rod at 300 - 350 degrees C for an hour prior to use so I looked up 300-350 C. That is 575 degrees (f) minimum for an hour. Now, I have to figure out what I can attain that temperature with.

Thinking my wife's electric oven on self clean?

After 'baking' I wonder of storing it in a rod box is sufficient. Not going to use it all at once.

BBQ Grill.
And make sure you wear a respirator.
What size rod?
3/16” you probably need about 200 to 225 Amps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
BBQ Grill.
And make sure you wear a respirator.
What size rod?
3/16” you probably need about 200 to 225 Amps

The BBQ is a good tip, never thought of that. No issue on the respirator, I wear one when surface grinding tungsten carbide stump grinder teeth too. Probably use my fume extractor as well. Manganese is hard on lungs.

I have a gas driven Lincoln weld and power, 300 amps dc or ac but the rod is 1/8"

After I BBQ it John, can I store it in a sealed rod box or do I have to 'cook it' every time? I presume cooking it drives the moisture out, correct?

Guess I should use charcoal briquettes and not my usual chunk charcoal?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Flip you could look up the farrier that does your wife's horses, it sounds like that is what they do to put non slip, non wear spots on the bottoms of horseshoes. They use a gas powered forge to heat up the rods of material.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Spent a couple years as a paraprofessional in HS "shop" class (which they called metal trades).

Saw it many times. Some of the ladies would get burns all over the place. One young lady knew that the UV radiation could give you a burn, but asked if she could get a tan from welding. As much as I wanted to say "yep", I just couldn't. We want to say that they're stupid for asking a question like that, but not so much stupid as ignorant...and ignorance CAN be fixed. Stupid? Not so much. She turned out to be a wonderful welder and is STILL welding today at a local business. I stop by to say howdy every now & then.

Worst one was when we had a project to build 2 new gates for the junior high. The top rails were about 20 foot long and had to fit into pre-made hinge assemblies, 2 per gate (total 4). The ends of the hinges were about .100 smaller than the tubing was so we were tasked to turn them down in the lathe. Because of the length, they stuck out the back side of the headstock assembly. The instructor (not me; I was simply watching) was instructing on best practices when doing material like that, which must hang out of the headstock. Well it hung out so far that the end was flopping around and there was not a good way to hold it, so one of the other students grabbed a towel, wrapped it around the tube while the lathe was running about 400 RPM as I recall. Well those things are like machines or something. Somehow the guy's hand got wrapped around the tube while it was being machined, which led to having the entire arm wrapped around it before the emergency stop actually got the chuck stopped. Ya know, sorta kinda like one of those PTO shield safety stickers you see on equipment. You could hear the bones crunching, I mean it was pretty gnarly, even over the hollering. Main instructor was kind of a hard-butt, been through 'nam in the marines, but even he shed a tear or two over that deal. Guy had a bunch of reconstructive surgery done and he's fine now but it's stuck forever in my brain.

Myself I've got plenty of scars/burn marks to talk about but don't want to. A lot of my shirts are holy (like HOLES burned int them, not sunday shirts although I have a few of those too). GF always wants to throw them out but they make good dirty shirts or shop shirts.

The big scar I have is on my left shoulder. Guy in welding school (total jackwagon) had a red hot piece of 1" round stock that was just welded on a positioner using GTAW, holding it with pliers. Stuck it to my shoulder, burnt right through the shirt, just like said above, smells sorta like steak cooking before you really feel it. I nearly killed that dude. I don't think he was expecting a hard right hand in the throat but that was my automatic response. My shoulder is fine but scarred.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Flip
I’m not sure about rod storage.

A sealed container will probably do just like you would 7018.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Would you have room for a desiccant in your sealed container?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Flip, just get a college size refrigerator from someone's scrap, remove the shelves, put a light inside and store all your rods there.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip, just get a college size refrigerator from someone's scrap, remove the shelves, put a light inside and store all your rods there.
I have a heated rod box now. Problem is, this stuff needs 'cooked' prior to. Think I'll go with the BBQ method and just cook what I need and if any is left over, they will go on a plastic storage case where I keep the rest of the rods (in the rod box with the heat lamp).

I'll hard face outside anyway. Not like TIG or MIG where it has to be inside with no drafts to blow the shielding gas away. I usually run SMAW outside.

I appreciate the guidance / tips. I take them all into account.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Long overdue upgrades:

Needed a new tool box that actually holds some stuff and is waterproof. Hadda enlarge the mounting location with some sheet stock. Much more useful.

Tired of carrying my tools slotted through the support arms of my box scraper. So I made a tool rack...

Holds a kaboodle of tools...

Now, I have to make a small frame up for when I want to haul my equipment box -for chainsaws or blowers...

90% of the above made up with scraps from the recycle bin.

Attachments

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ray, where did you get the tool box (orange one)? May be a little big for me to mount on my relocation bracket, but I need to get something bigger.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Yooper,

The work box will serve as a sink if I can seal up the holes the prior owner drilled in it. I hate having to run for a tool. Now I am loaded for bear.

SCF,

I washed it the week before I started all this welding "bidness." For a nearly 8 year old tractor with 360 hours on it it looks pretty decent. That "little" beast has moved close to 400 tons of material since I bought it doing this home remodel. The work these machines can do is incredible. Burned up the front tires. The rears are looking pretty good still. According to Discount Tire, Titan quit making fronts for Kubotas. Had to buy skid steer tires but they look nearly identical to the Titans they replaced.

FT,

Like the workbox, I got the tool box at the Kiwani thrift store used -for $3. It's a nice box that had a hard life. I worked on it for an hour or more to get the insides clean. I just couldn't pass up the color. I bought an old metal tool box a couple years ago from the 50's at the same store thinking I'd paint it to match the tractor but this one popped up.

The mounting bar on my L3800 is only 1" angle iron between the side mounting plates. Plenty strong but not so strong in torsion. With a bigger box, the mount will flex a little but I don't think it will be an issue. I have 2" washers inside the floor of the box to spread out stress. For a tool box, it's pretty lightly loaded.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thanks Ray. My tractor is the little brother to yours. When I added the back hoe, that bar where the tool box is has to be removed. There was a bracket included to relocate the tool box that mounts to the ROPS.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
FT,

Yeah, that bracket might get in the way using a backhoe...

One other problem I never could resolve is where to put my highway triangle. I rarely drive more than a block away so it's no biggee but I thought about mounting the bracket up high on the ROPS so I could throw it on if needed and leave it off when not needed. The prior owner sawed my bracket and sign clean off. Anyone have a picture of where it's supposed to be?