Orange zero turns

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I am looking to replace my lawn tractor this year or next spring.
I have been looking at the Cub Cadet Ultima but the Kubota Z100 series seems well made. I do not need a commercial type mower, being used just on my yard.
The thing is I would like to keep it around $4000.
Anyone have any experience with Kubota's machines?
I am not stuck with Kubota or Cub by any means but I am in close proximity to both dealers and already have a good working relationship with both.
Any advice will be appreciated.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Missouribound, I can't help you at all. Mine is beige and brown. But it does have a Kubota engine!

Maybe Daren Todd will show up. He can give you some pointers.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I have been looking at the Cub Cadet Ultima but the Kubota Z100 series seems well made. I do not need a commercial type mower, being used just on my yard.
I am not stuck with Kubota or Cub by any means but I am in close proximity to both dealers and already have a good working relationship with both.
Our Kubota dealer in Smithville carries many brands of zero turns. Exmark, Scag, Kubota etc. maybe if your not too far away you can take a look at all the options. I have owned an Exmark for the last 11 years and it has been very reliable, durable, and efficient. I would recommend two things on your purchase two hydro stats one for each wheel and a commercial grade deck. Other than that it is all about size and HP. I tried the adjustable tension seat on the higher priced tractors and they do not really work to me. Mine is a 24 HP 52” cut and roughly runs four hours on 4.5 gallons of fuel.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Our Kubota dealer in Smithville carries many brands of zero turns. Exmark, Scag, Kubota etc. maybe if your not too far away you can take a look at all the options. I have owned an Exmark for the last 11 years and it has been very reliable, durable, and efficient. I would recommend two things on your purchase two hydro stats one for each wheel and a commercial grade deck. Other than that it is all about size and HP. I tried the adjustable tension seat on the higher priced tractors and they do not really work to me. Mine is a 24 HP 52” cut and roughly runs four hours on 4.5 gallons of fuel.
^^ he is giving you good unbiased info. important points if you are a serious grass mower.

on big zero's: you need separate wheel motors & pumps & then different power for the deck.

floating/suspensions seats help: but zero's just dont have a great ride. they are made to cut lots of grass really quickly... but not plush rides.

Kubota makes a real good zero turn mower. the big diesel is a great engine & p erforms awesome.

the ONLY drawback on Kubota zero's was that if you lost a wheel motor/pump you had NO BRAKES!!

Hustlers, excells & most other brands have now went to putting mechanical drum brakes on the wheels so that you dont wind up hitting a tree head on like my father did when his right side wheel motor went on on the big Kubota Zero.

just dont by one of those little lightweight zero's if you plan on mowing huge fields. it wont last.

put 2500 hours on my Hustler ATZ before selling it & have almost 2,000hrs on my Super Z HD now.... they are awesome for mowing big yards.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
^^ he is giving you good unbiased info. important points if you are a serious grass mower.

on big zero's: you need separate wheel motors & pumps & then different power for the deck.

floating/suspensions seats help: but zero's just dont have a great ride. they are made to cut lots of grass really quickly... but not plush rides.

Kubota makes a real good zero turn mower. the big diesel is a great engine & p erforms awesome.

the ONLY drawback on Kubota zero's was that if you lost a wheel motor/pump you had NO BRAKES!!

Hustlers, excells & most other brands have now went to putting mechanical drum brakes on the wheels so that you dont wind up hitting a tree head on like my father did when his right side wheel motor went on on the big Kubota Zero.

just dont by one of those little lightweight zero's if you plan on mowing huge fields. it wont last.

put 2500 hours on my Hustler ATZ before selling it & have almost 2,000hrs on my Super Z HD now.... they are awesome for mowing big yards.
What model of zero-turn does your father have? Is it a ZD or Z series because all ZD series have the brake in the final drive housing.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
My Z121S is a great machine. It has the Air-Ride seat and a commercial deck.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I have a bias against CC as every machine I have encountered seems like its designed to self destruct prematurely. My theory is if you can buy the machine at a big box store Id avoid it like the plague. Unfortunately I went with a commercial ZD326 and its been bulletproof for the past 10 years.

Mowers can take a lot of abuse and can have a lot of vibration. If you are cutting acreage Id look for as HD as possible, and have the salesperson demonstrate each machine how to raise the deck to clean the bottom of it and sharpen your blades. And get the most comfortable suspension seat you can.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
What model of zero-turn does your father have? Is it a ZD or Z series because all ZD series have the brake in the final drive housing.
not sure. the churches insurance totaled it.

it was the big diesel. fantastic mowing machine. climbed well too! plenty of torque.... just was a sled once you headed downhill & then when it went out it was a "speed sled" LOL

on flat ground or easy terrain it was an absolute grass eating machine.

(footnote: they went to a STIENER/Ventrac now)

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
lmao...... maybe you just got a nice yard? :D
like a guy told me his would mow at X MPH, I said no it won't :rolleyes:, he informed me that in the manual it even states the performance, I told him go ahead and try to cut your place or about 99.9% of the other properties you'll be caring for at WOT travel speed and get back with me;), maybe a golf course

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I broke my back years ago and with my bumpy yard I'd either have to mow painfully slow, or mow at a normal pace and be in pain. I looked at every mower I could find and the Ferris was the only one with full suspension. It really does a great job of letting me mow at a fast pace without beating me up. What used to take me 4.5-5 hours now takes me only 1.5 hours and my back doesn't hurt after. At first I thought the suspension was a gimmick but for me it was well worth the extra $$. And no, I don't work for Ferris, just a super satisfied customer.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The Exmark I test rode was probably one of the best put together machines I tried and cut as good or better than anything else, but the suspension on the ferris won out in the end for my back. And, sorry for the thread jack.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
FH,

thats not a thread jack. its good quality info that will help the OP in making a decision.

like you guys said: the beast im riding will mow at 16mph & yes if you had a drag strip that needed mowing? it will.

try going thru my rough yard at even a steady 10mph & you will look like you are riding the mech bull down at the bar.

sure there are spots where you can hit top speed, but there are other spots where your are doing maybe 4-5pmph & just gritting your teeth.

that floating suspension sounds VERY nice! If this old girl ever gives up the ghost? i'll be looking into it for sure!

although gotta admit im really diggin that new ALTOZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CTHoxmOeL4

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I don't think there much difference between any of them (brands). When comparing residential to residential or commercial to commercial. Other than $$$