L3901 & BH77 Backhoe attached

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Would it hurt or impede the L3901 capabilities or operations if the backhoe were attached all the time? I know subframe kit protects tractor from damage but unsure if it was meant to support backhoe as permanent.
When I get everything delivered next week, I was thinking of just keeping the backhoe on to save space and only remove it when using the other implements I'm getting (box blade, mower, & rear blade).

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I was thinking of just keeping the backhoe on to save space and only remove it when using the other implements I'm getting (box cutter, mower, & rear blade).
it won't hurt it at all, that's what its for. Just keep in mind that the BH sticks out quite a ways. You can turn the hoe sideways too if it helps for storage reasons.

ps- I don't think you'll need to remove the backhoe to use a box cutter...but a box BLADE would require back hoe removal :D

enjoy your new setup.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
it won't hurt it at all, that's what its for. Just keep in mind that the BH sticks out quite a ways. You can turn the hoe sideways too if it helps for storage reasons.

ps- I don't think you'll need to remove the backhoe to use a box cutter...but a box BLADE would require back hoe removal :D

enjoy your new setup.
Thanks, that makes me feel better. If turned hoe sideways, how do you stow it? Just drop the arm & bucket? I thought it needs to be stowed a certain position.

On the box cutter comment, too funny. I wasn't paying attention.:rolleyes:
Thanks for letting me know of the oversite.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks, that makes me feel better. If turned hoe sideways, how do you stow it? Just drop the arm & bucket? I thought it needs to be stowed a certain position.

On the box cutter comment, too funny. I wasn't paying attention.:rolleyes:
Thanks for letting me know of the oversite.
No, there is a boom lock that will keep the boom in the upright position. I meant that you can swing the boom to one side or the other (keep boom locked up, but do not use the boom swing pin lock). This will save you about 5 or so feet out the back of the tractor.

The other thing that I do is use a ratchet strap to tie the two outriggers together in their upright position. This will keep them from dropping down over time (as they all seem to do). Helpful when walking thru a dark garage.

You'll be fine, no need to worry.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I leave mine on...great counter balance to the front loader. It also can get you unstuck if you are in a ditch or high sided in snow (ask me how I know).

Here it is at rest...

Mine actually will leak down after a week of so...so I put it down after use. The outriggers never leak down...
CF7ECF09-1193-4987-A00F-F56AC68D1186.jpg

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
I leave mine on...great counter balance to the front loader. It also can get you unstuck if you are in a ditch or high sided in snow (ask me how I know).

Here it is at rest...

Mine actually will leak down after a week of so...so I put it down after use. The outriggers never leak down...
View attachment 45556
Thanks. How much room do you need for beginning to end of tractor for bucket & backhoe?
What size is your shed?