Meaning Behind "Kubota" Logo?

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Don't know why, but it struck me one day as I was surfing the KB website....I wonder what the meaning or idea is, behind the "Kubota" logo where they have a notch missing from the lower left of each letter.

So, I sent a "contact us" inquiry to KB Corp, low & behold a actually got a reply today! But, the responder did not know the answer to the question. :confused:

Any historians out there who know? Theories? Seems just odd enough to be intentional. Google searches also yield no insight as to the reason behind the structure of the letters.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
It is the mark of Satan according to my wife, because they tempt me to give them all my money.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
It is the mark of Satan according to my wife, because they tempt me to give them all my money.
LOL...thanks for the chuckle! My wife would probably agree! :eek:

Reactions: 1 user

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Bill,

Could that bull logo represent the water buffalo used throughout southeast Asia for farming? I don't think they use them in Japan but... Hmmm.

You poor guys. You got off on the wrong foot. See, I sold the Kubota idea to my wife as "her" tractor to help me get our work done. I serve as her personal "driver/operator." Smart woman, she quickly saw through the "her" part because she doesn't drive it much but couldn't ignore the "work" part. We planted a tree and a few plants Sunday and the bucket made an awesome wheelbarrow. I always make a point to "thank her" for loaning me her tractor. She laughs but, she loves all the stuff that machine has done for us. We figure it completely paid for itself somewhere after 200 hours of use.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Early on, I first thought maybe the bull symbol had something to do with the Kubota "Bulltra" series, but none of them have the bull symbol. The 4th pic in my post above is from my B7100, which is not part of the "Bulltra" series.
Ray, I never made the water buffalo connection, but I think you are right, they weren't common in Japan farming.
My B7100 could be described as a little bull, but then couldn't all Kubotas? You'd think they would all have that symbol. Weird.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Water buffalo may not have been common when Kubota begin their tractor business, but the water buffalo WAS the Asian (I wanted to say Oriental, but I guess it's not PC) tractor.

However since Okinawa's reversion to Japanese sovereignty it can now be said water buffalo are common to Japan!

They're quite the beast. And remember, the early Kubota tractors had the drain plug under the bell housing to drain the water after working rice paddies. So the tractor was built to become the modern water buffalo!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yup, kinda makes sense that it would become the "new bull".

Kubota is the best in the land, Comes to you in a big orange can, No tits to pull, No hay to pitch, You just put diesel in the son of a ........

kubotus maximus

Equipment
L2501hst
Mar 12, 2019
iowa
I thought I read somewhere that kubota means little bull in Japanese. I also have a story about why they don't use the bull logo anymore. Or not very often at most dealerships.

Attachments

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
https://www.kubota.com/museum/history/1890_1926.html

Renamed as the “Kubota Iron Works”

One of the customers of Ohde Casting had been the “Kubota Match Machine Manufacturers.” The master, Toshiro Kubota, had taken hints from German match carving equipment and developed high precision domestic equipment. He had contributed to the export of matches.
After seeing how Gonshiro Ohde was devoting all his efforts to the domestic production of iron pipes for waterworks, Toshiro possibly saw something of a former himself in Gonshiro, as he started to take care of him, and one day, Toshiro begged Gonshiro to become his adopted son.
Gonshiro accepted after consulting his siblings and also on the condition that he would be able to continue the iron pipe work. He therefore changed his surname to Kubota, and the Ohde Casting Iron Works was renamed the “Kubota Iron Works.”

Bruce

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Len,

My 2012 L3800 has the water drain in the bell housing. Never out in the rain. No rice paddies here in Arizona. Gets pressure washed a couple times a year.

This "Water Buffalo" should outlast me and my kid.

vivrance

Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Still wondering about this? Ha.

I can tell you with certainty the meaning behind this logo - called the "Broken Block" logo or "Positive Piece" logo.

Basically the gist of it is that these missing blocks are pieces of possibility. Pieces that can support people's lives or enrich others. Kubota hopes to fill these 'pieces' with solutions for humans needing to work the earth.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Still wondering about this? Ha.

I can tell you with certainty the meaning behind this logo - called the "Broken Block" logo or "Positive Piece" logo.

Basically the gist of it is that these missing blocks are pieces of possibility. Pieces that can support people's lives or enrich others. Kubota hopes to fill these 'pieces' with solutions for humans needing to work the earth.
Old thread. New illusions.

It is just a name presented in a creative fashion….