Looking to buy a trailer...

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Zaicran, maybe you have already seen this, but here is another member with the same machine as you. No rotary cutter, but a backhoe which is even heavier. Nice PJ tailer.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I run a 20ft Sure Trac, folding ramp GVW is 10,000 Lbs, my B3200 with FEL and BH I have about 4ft of open deck. It tows awesome, tracks well even at hi-way speeds. Haven't put the Brush cutter on it, just road ride up to the new property.

I had a 7,500GVW and was not comfortable with the way it towed. Thought about the investment I had loaded on it and got rid of it, not worth a crash.
I was towing 200 miles between houses at the time so safety was big on the list.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
If you will be hauling your tractor and attachments 150 miles, I would suggest you think about all the attachments you will want when you get there. A trailer 4 or 5 feet longer than you need will hold that extra attachment you might want to take with you and won't cost much more than a 4 or 5 foot shorter trailer. I never take my tractor anywhere without my forks. The box scraper and roller work well together. I have wanted my wood chipper and brush hog at the same time also. I have a 24' Big Tex 14000lb and I run out of trailer length quite often.

Zaicran

Equipment
B2650, 72" MMM, LA534+QA, RCR1260
Oct 8, 2019
Morganza, MD
Good info everyone, thank you for the responses.

Looks like I will be shopping for a while...wont really need to do anything until January.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
After having both I definitely wouldn't want one with rails. Having open sides makes it so much more useful to me. Of course in my opinion I'd prefer a deckover. No fenders in the way makes it a better equipment hauler.

Last edited:

Zaicran

Equipment
B2650, 72" MMM, LA534+QA, RCR1260
Oct 8, 2019
Morganza, MD
After having both I definitely wouldn't want one without rails. Having open sides makes it so much more useful to me. Of course in my opinion I'd prefer a deckover. No fenders in the way makes it a better equipment hauler.
At this point, I have no idea what I will get, just know that it will be a Gooseneck.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
At this point, I have no idea what I will get, just know that it will be a Gooseneck.
I don't blame you there. GN pulls so much better than a bumper pull does. Only down side I see is a GN doesn't follow the truck as well in a tight turn so you can get into trouble.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Zaicran, maybe you have already seen this, but here is another member with the same machine as you. No rotary cutter, but a backhoe which is even heavier. Nice PJ tailer.
That's my pic. In case it helps, it's a 16', 7000# PJ trailer. I absolutely love that trailer. Bought it originally to haul my BX23. I really thought I was probably going to have to get something a little bigger when I upgraded to the B2650, but it's actually working out fairly decent.

I almost bought several other trailers before I found that PJ. When I think back on it, I feel like I dodged a few bullets by not buying those other ones. This PJ trailer fits everything I wanted, including some things that I hadn't even thought of until I got this trailer. It has some truly well thought out features in my opinion.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
After having both I definitely wouldn't want one with rails. Having open sides makes it so much more useful to me. Of course in my opinion I'd prefer a deckover. No fenders in the way makes it a better equipment hauler.
When I was shopping for a trailer, I wrestled a lot with the decision to go car hauler or landscape utility. I liked the idea of being able to load things from the side with forks, but I also knew the rail would be really handy for hauling certain things. Plus I figured it provided an extra margin of safety when hauling a tractor as well.

Then I discovered the PJ I bought and found my answer. Most rails on landscape utility trailers are welded on, at least the ones that I saw while shopping around. The rail on my PJ trailer is bolted into pockets on the side, meaning I can remove the rails if I need to.

All that said, I've had that trailer about 2.5 years now, and I have yet to remove the rails. However there have been many, many times that I was really happy I had them.

ETA: Here's a couple of examples of why I like having the rails.

They helped keep the hay in place:

I built these walls for hauling firewood and more loose material. Sure if you have a car hauler you can still build walls for this use, but your walls are going to need a little more strength. In my case, the rails are providing the strength, the walls just provide backing to keep stuff from falling through. As a result, the walls are lighter, easier to handle.. I can pop them in and out by myself in about two minutes with no tools.

The day I put them together:

Folded up, ready to put away:

Last edited:

jtboney1

Equipment
L2501
Jul 11, 2018
Mobile, Alabama
How much are you going to be trailering it? With my L with loader on and 5 ft bush hog on, the bush hog hangs off the back about 2 feet on my 18ft trailer. Thats with the loader bucket up against the front of the trailer.
Same for me. I prefer a dovetail trailer with ramps that are stored in the side. I've had mine a couple of years and never used the ramps. With the fel the tractor loads quickly and safely and the 2' hangover on the back is legal and safe.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
PA452, that's a pretty slick setup. I've never seen one with rails like that.

I don't have any pics of it but I built side boards for mine that I could put on when I needed them. Up until this year I've used mine for hay but rails would have been in my way hauling round bales.

I guess this is one of those times that prove we all have very different needs even when we're trying to do nearly the same thing.