M8540 PTO Question

The Bob

Equipment
M6800 Kubota, 1953 Ferguson T030
Sep 24, 2015
Fort Smith, Ar
I am looking at a M8540 with about 650 hours on it, at a good price from a local wheeler/dealer. Almost too good of a price, about $5K below a local dealer for the same model with twice the hours on it.

My question is, when the PTO is engaged below 1000 rpm, there is a noticeable noise coming from the transmission area, when the RPM's get to about 1200, it goes away. I don't think the PTO has ever been used much, (still has the black cover on the shaft). Is this type of noise normal?

Second question, when it starts up, a cloud of black smoke, goes away real quick, then when you first bump the throttle a puff of black smoke, but just a puff, Again, is this normal?

I think the tractor was used to clear brush, with a grabble FEL. Now has a bucket. Everything on the tractor is very clean. One dent in a hydraulic filter. Otherwise a very clean tractor.

Your thoughts on the PTO noise and the puff of smoke?

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I can't hep you on the PTO specifically as I've never engaged mine unless it was powering something and not below about 1200. Mine does puff black smoke like you mentioned.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Not sure on the noise but the smoke sounds normal. Mine will blow black smoke at the start, I wouldn't be concerned about that.

See if they will let you demo the tractor for a day. A rotary cutter would load it up pretty good and see if everything worked properly.