What should I do with these dang R4's

Vtwinhd

Jan 19, 2015
Grafton, Ohio
So I purchased a brand new L3901 about a month and a half ago. I now have 25 hours on it and I've all ready been stuck more than a few times. All but once I've been able to un stuck myself using the loader, except for today that didn't work so I attempted to use my 4wd Silverado to pull out the tractor and even that got stuck. Long story short, the neighbor came to pull my truck and tractor out with his little 20 HP old ford tractor with R1 tires, no problem at all. My 3901 came from the dealer with R4's. My ignorance and the dealer failing to educate me on my options sent me on my way 25K poorer with a tractor with tires that don't suit my need. I have a very hilly property and I plan on using the tractor in the pretty muddy areas and working a few ground engaging implements. I don't really care about tearing up the grass a little. I plan to head to the dealer and seeing if they can switch me out for the R1's. Anyone have a similar experience? Anyone have an idea what a full set of R1's cost? Anyone think the dealer with switch them out for me at no cost since the tractor is basically still new. By the way I have added almost 800 lbs of Ballast to the 3pt for loader work, which does help, but the traction issue is still an issue.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Groove the tires my friend, I did mine recently and the results are nothing short of dramatic in the snow/ice anyway.
Kennyd,
That is such great advice, that I won't even comment on it being a green tractor! ;)
OH wait, that was a comment :rolleyes: ... Ok I won't bash you for it being green! :p:D

That really is great advice, R4's have too much rubber hitting the ground at one time, break that and they are better than R1's.

The only other option that would be good is to put chains on it.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I have been grooving tires on my Dixie Chopper mower, for several years now. It absolutely improves grip, specially on steep slopes. At $169/tire, it saves money, too.

You don't have to spend a whole lot on a brand new grooving iron, either, I picked up an antique electric iron on fleabay, and paid like $40 bucks for it. Plus, it gives you something to do on a cold day, out in the shop...:D

Vtwinhd

Jan 19, 2015
Grafton, Ohio
Well I talked to the dealer and they are going to come pick up the tractor and switch them out for me for free. I tell ya, that's some **** great customer service. :D

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Vtwinhd, glad to hear the dealer is going to do that for you. They will be able to charge someone else the $500 extra for R4s, so they aren't hurting by doing it for you.

I would like to know why these dealers order so many of these tractors with the R4s. When I bought my L3901DT the dealer said he had R1s, but when they went to get the tractor ready for delivery they didn't have a set. He called and said he would give me the R4s ($500 option) for the same price or I could wait till he got the R1s in. I told him that I would wait.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wow, I'm stunned- that is killer customer service!

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
It's hard to get the best of both world's, I also had the dealer get the R-1's for my 30 series, I'm about 60/40 hard ground/dirt, and after about a year was sorry I did, The R-1's seem to ware twice as fast. So I was going to change back (ouch).... The cost was my R-1's and $1000.00 (tires/wheels). Just a heads up, make sure the R-1's will suit your use, Changing back can get expensive. Hard surfaces will eat up the R-1's pretty quick.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Groove the tires my friend, I did mine recently and the results are nothing short of dramatic in the snow/ice anyway.

But, you should talk to your dealer, maybe they will do a swap for you to R1's-it certainly worth asking.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/193438-cutting-groving-siping-r-4-a.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...4-tire-siping-grooving-improved-traction.html
Grooving is great idea and not so hard to do. Time consuming but not hard. I'ld like to find a way to sipe (Razor blade thin grove) my tires as well though.

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
The tractor tires don't spin very fast to sling the mud out. So the R-1's tread is far enough apart, most dirt/mud will fall out giving better traction. Now on The R-4's it holds the mud between the lugs and makes the tire act like its bald.. That's why its a trade off, they have different applications. each one Work's Great in its element. With 4-wheel dr, the R-4'S works the best for me.. Now, if I did not have the 4-wheel dr, it would be R-1'S.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
As said, siping is for hard relatively flat surfaces. Can make a HUGE difference if driving up a smooth rock face (think granite boulders and sandstone mounds like Moab), paved road, and ice. Grooving is similar, but able to bite on more irregular surfaces. Both work by presenting more edges to grip, the only real difference is quantity (you can add a lot more sipes that grooves to a lug without substantially weakening it) and ability get hold of protrusions (gap). On our rock crawlers, both operations were very common, particularly in the early years when most larger tires were designed more with mud in mind rather than rocks. I ran a set of 42" siped and grooved TSLs for a few years. And grooving with a good iron is easy-peasy, fast and relatively painless. Having to "make do" is anything but.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
As said, siping is for hard relatively flat surfaces. Can make a HUGE difference if driving up a smooth rock face (think granite boulders and sandstone mounds like Moab), paved road, and ice. .....
There in lies why I want to sipe.

Moab...... been that done that LOVED IT. Rubicon... Been thar done that; LOVED IT. Mud..... avoid it like a plague. Ice, slush and snow though I get yearly on my unpaved, unplowed (cept by me; eventually*) 200? yard Easement to my and my neighbors houses

*was not able to get fully prepared for this winter..... need chains and / or groove and siping, a coolant heater, and fixed glow system.

Now for many others here...... it seems they are plowing FLAT driveways and parking areas. So yeah sipes will help them with snow and ice. If we can figure out some ways to sipe aswell as the relative ease we've found to groove AG tires this will save alot of money for folk when you compare to price of buying chains. Particularly will be $$ savings for those with larger than B model tractors. Granted though this is for another thread. Don't want to steer this fellows thread off on a tangent.

Last edited: