Fluid Level Indicator

haleswd

Jan 20, 2014
Bryant, Alabama
I have a Kubota L2601, grey market tractor. I am changing the hydraulic / transmission fluid for the first time. On the side of the tractor is a 12mm bolt, that when removed, and fluid comes out, the reservoir is full. I think. I probably drained around 7-8 gallons of fluid out. I put 5 gallons back in, and went to loosen the bolt and fluid started draining out. Granted it wasn't fast, but it was there. How am I supposed to know when to stop adding fluid? Any other info would be appreciated.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a L185 and when I drained the fluid it more came out than went in. I recall that it was similar to what you are saying about 7 gallons came out but less than 5 gallons into the transmission and it was coming out of the "check fluid level" plug.

If the fluid that came out is the color of peanut butter and milky it has water in it - that may be why the extra volume. The water gets in through the top of the transmission through sitting outside and having bad seals around the shift levers.

Does you tractor also have drains in the rear axle gear reduction? On mine there are 4 plugs on the side and near the bottom of sheet metal enclosures on the rear axle. If you did not drain that area then your fluid volume will also be less to fill.

My level plug is in a similar location as MagKarl's, on the side of the transmission case near the clutch pedal.

haleswd

Jan 20, 2014
Bryant, Alabama
Let me preface this by saying that this is my first tractor, and that I am far from a mechanic.

The fluid that came out of mine was the color of peanut butter also. I didn't think that was normal, but I wasn't sure what type of fluid was used. It seems like every time the fluid discussion starts it get a little heated. I thought the previous change may have used something that I was unfamiliar with.

The bolt that I pulled is right beside the clutch.

As far as I can tell I have two 24mm drain plugs running down the center of the tractor. One near the center and one closer to the rear. I looked all over the rear axle and couldn't find any others. I have an external hydraulic screen that is in front of the brake pedal. I guess I should count that also.

From what I have gathered since I inherited this tractor, the L295 is the closest US equivalent. I assumed that the capacities would be the same. The engine oil was. The L295 calls for 6.8 gallons of transmission/hyd fluid, but mine started draining around 5 gallons.

I ended up replacing the leveling plug and put another gallon in. Do you guys think I should drain that excess back out? Will it hurt anything to have too much in?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Oil capacities are useally listed as dry, meaning no fluid has ever been in there. When you drain any oil system, you do not get all the oil out. Therefore you're listed capacity is allways more than what you can put back in. Just inside of the rear wheels, there is a large "plate", looks like 2 food serving platters bolted together. There is a drain in the bottom (side) for each wheel, probably 1/2 gallon in each one. Too late for this oil change but you can do them next time.