PTO Shear

hancockian

Equipment
Kubota L3240HST; Case 310E; John Deere 302A; IH 184: : Yanmar 3110d
Sep 11, 2010
Greenville, Pa
Hello all...I've a problem I'm hoping to find someone with more experience that I to provide some advice. I have a L3240 with a rc72-38 mower deck. I bought it used about 7 years ago with 250 hrs and now it has 900 hrs.
The other day while mowing the deck quit. After tearing into it I found the PTO drive shaft had sheared where the universal connects to the gearbox. I pulled the bolt that clamps the universal to the gearbox and it was badly chewed up. The gears in the gearbox were gone to the point I could spin the universal by hand without moving the gearbox. There was no noise (that I could hear) when the splines sheared and I mowed for maybe 200 feet without the deck turning.
I can't get the universal pounded off the gearbox input shaft. I've beat on it (the slit in the universal) first with screw drivers then with cold chisels to open the universal up to release the shaft. It doesn't look like a gear puller is an option due to the shape of the universal. Any ideas on getting the universal off the gearbox input shaft?
Secondly I'm thinking about just driving the input shaft off maybe 3/4" and drilling a new "keyway" through the input on the gearbox and dropping a bolt through the drilled hole. I know this is a "farmers fix" and I'm not keen on those but this unexplained problem turns out to be an expensive repair.
Do you think drilling a hole on one side of the PTO input shaft of the gearbox and installing a bolt has a chance of working? Seems to me the input shaft and universal are toast anyway.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I am not sure that I understand your problem. I do understand what a sheared or broken PTO shaft is. You say that the gears in your gearbox are pretty much gone and that turning the PTO shaft at the universal does not move the blade.

The tractor has a PTO shaft sticking out of it, does it spin when you engage the PTO? If yes move to the PTO drive shaft, does it rotate when you engage the PTO? If yes... Look at input shaft for the mower gearbox, does it turn when you engage the PTO? If NO - then your PTO shaft is sheared and the solution is to replace the PTO shaft ($150)

I would want to know before I replaced it, that the gears in my mower were good. Binding gears in the 90 degree gearbox can cause a shaft to break.

Some rotary cutters have a clutch between the shaft and the gearbox, some rely on a shear pin. My question for you - is yours a shear pin that simply sheared?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Don't mess around with cutting, drilling, altering the shaft or the joint.

A new shaft and a new joint and supporting parts will run you about $300, having that shaft come off / fail / break that is spinning at 2500 rpm, could cost you several thousands in damages to the tractor and / or mower, so not worth the risk! ;)

hancockian

Equipment
Sep 11, 2010
Greenville, Pa
Let me try to explain better. The belly PTO is connected to the gearbox splines through the universal joint. I can spin the universal joint and it just turns on the gearbox spline without turning the gearbox conversely I can grab the blades and turn the gearbox so I know nothing's broke inside the gearbox. I have never seen PTO splines strip out and wouldn't have thought it possible. The bolt that holds the universal to the gearbox splines was not loose...so tight I had to use a breaker bar. Thanks for your help

hancockian

Equipment
Sep 11, 2010
Greenville, Pa

A new shaft and a new joint and supporting parts will run you about $300, having that shaft come off / fail / break that is spinning at 2500 rpm, could cost you several thousands in damages to the tractor and / or mower, so not worth the risk! ;)
I'm sure you're right. I'm not so much concerned about safety or tractor damage but more an issue of it not being a permanent fix. Thanks for your help

hancockian

Equipment
Sep 11, 2010
Greenville, Pa

Well it's Monday and I've had a chance to collect some more info. The local Kubota dealer (35 miles) says the repair will likely be over $1000. I plan to pull the gearbox and half the drive shaft off and take it to the dealer.