Best way to tell a B series Hydraulic pump is working

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
to you experts out there (which is everyone other than me)....what is the best way to test that a hydraulic pump is working - to pinpoint that that's the problem as opposed to valve/blockage/filter etc. The main ways seem to be either some kind of gauge placed somewhere, emptying the transmission fluid and taking the thing apart or turning on the engine and letting it pump oil out to a bucket through an unscrewed outlet pipe (which sounds a bit dodgy to me!)

Incidentally, does a good pump make a certain sound, or make any discernible sound at all?

thanks to all,
Dookanooka

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
thanks for the response SD Vic,
I guess the test ports would need to be brazed on. Would you need one on the inlet pipe, 1 on the outlet to get a reliable reading? Do you know of any adaptor or similar where I could place a test gauge in the place of a bolt leaving the pump for example?
thanks,
Dookanooka

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It depends on what "B" you're working with. If you have a loader just use a loader line, If not use the hyd. take of port in the line from the hyd. pump to the TPH control valve. If you don't have one of those you can drill and tap the "banjo" bolt on the pump or the TPH control valve. Whatever you do, do NOT deadhead the pump! Or you will for sure need a new one!:eek: In the shop we use a flowmeter with a pressure guage to properly diagnose the hyd. system.
Ed