Tractor Purchase Not Working Out, Getting Stressed

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
You are so right. The general manager for this store is the salesman. He is stressed out and runs around. He needs more help, but alas, like everyone does not wish to pay and can't find the help. It is now 3:30 and I am still waiting. I went to the dealership, saw the salesman, he said it would be cleaned and delivered. An entire day wasted. I took leave, again, so I could accept delivery and clean up the rest of my property. I'm pretty upset over the waste of my time. I was chained to my home, waiting. Could not do other vital chores like grocery shop etc. I'll will write the company after the tractor is delivered. This is unacceptable. I plan on buying a new zero turn in the summer, and will not go to this dealer or at least this store.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You need to write an email to Kubota Japan head office,cc: Kubota USA, Kubota regional ofc ,dealer.

Find out WHO is the top dog in Japan, write to him, cc the rest of the 'food chain'. A simple, one page,' facts only---what will you do' style letter.

I took 'business and technical writing in college' while major was Avionics. BEST course I ever took. Years ago I had an 'issue' with Microsoft, locally about cutting code( I write in assembler..),zero help locally, so I wrote Mr. Bill Gates, snail mail, 1 page. I figure 1 week to get there, a week inside, a week back, so maybe a month I'll get a response. Four days later get a call from some VP software development,'Hi,Bill dropped this on my desk, how can I help you'. After I got over the shock, explained the details, he said, OK, leave it with me. 3 days later DHL drops off a 20# package FULL of the information I needed, that local office didn't help with. 2 days later, local office head called me,then send even MORE stuff my way. He obviosly got chewed out by Mr. Gates.
Bottom line... write to the head honcho ! we can't get your tractor to you, but HE can !!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If I'm dealing with a somewhat local company and I do not know who the owner is or where he is located, I ask the question to whoever is there that's not providing the service I think I should get, "If I was looking for the owner, who would I be asking for?"

It tends to make folks pay attention. They can then step up, or I know where to go.

The fun ones are when I'm in a large store, like the local feed, family center, and can't find ANY help. After a few minutes of walking up and down a couple of isles, I simply pull out my phone and call the store. When they answer I ask if I can get some assistance back in the "veterinary medicine" dept. (or wherever I'm needing help). The customer assistance folks just don't know what to think, I can tell by the pause in their voice!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You are so right. The general manager for this store is the salesman. He is stressed out and runs around. He needs more help, but alas, like everyone does not wish to pay and can't find the help. It is now 3:30 and I am still waiting. I went to the dealership, saw the salesman, he said it would be cleaned and delivered. An entire day wasted. I took leave, again, so I could accept delivery and clean up the rest of my property. I'm pretty upset over the waste of my time. I was chained to my home, waiting. Could not do other vital chores like grocery shop etc. I'll will write the company after the tractor is delivered. This is unacceptable. I plan on buying a new zero turn in the summer, and will not go to this dealer or at least this store.
If you are talking MB Tractor, they are multiple store dealer in ME, NH and MA. They have a mixed review for customer service.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
You need to write an email to Kubota Japan head office,cc: Kubota USA, Kubota regional ofc ,dealer.

Find out WHO is the top dog in Japan, write to him, cc the rest of the 'food chain'. A simple, one page,' facts only---what will you do' style letter.

I took 'business and technical writing in college' while major was Avionics. BEST course I ever took. Years ago I had an 'issue' with Microsoft, locally about cutting code( I write in assembler..),zero help locally, so I wrote Mr. Bill Gates, snail mail, 1 page. I figure 1 week to get there, a week inside, a week back, so maybe a month I'll get a response. Four days later get a call from some VP software development,'Hi,Bill dropped this on my desk, how can I help you'. After I got over the shock, explained the details, he said, OK, leave it with me. 3 days later DHL drops off a 20# package FULL of the information I needed, that local office didn't help with. 2 days later, local office head called me,then send even MORE stuff my way. He obviosly got chewed out by Mr. Gates.
Bottom line... write to the head honcho ! we can't get your tractor to you, but HE can !!
Bingo.

Telephone calls are easily ignored without consequence. Email messages only slightly better.

Paper letters are an entirely different matter for multiple reasons.

If you want to get attention, you must write a letter.

Works for me.

SDT

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
The delivery gets even better. It has been snowing here today. Nothing heavy, but snow on top of ice makes for a slippery road. Around 4:00 pm ( mind you the tractor was suppose to arrive at 8:30 am.) I looked down the hill to my house, and saw the delivery truck with a my tractor, on it with the snow blower and rear blade. The trailer with the tractor was stuck.

A wrecker was called to pull out the trailer and the tractor moved forward with the snow blower jammed into the railing. I think finally around 8:30 pm the trailer got towed out.

I looked inside of the tractor and the mat was still covered with dirt, etc. Does not appear to have been cleaned.

I have written an e-mail to the salesman and finance person telling them to put a hold on the money I
am spending and that I will not accept the tractor until the tractor is inspected, snow blower inspected, etc, plus the tractor cleaned and bucket list taken care of. I am not going to pay for a tractor that could have damage, nor a used looking tractor when it is supposed to be new. While I realize this is a tractor, I have had my John Deere for 12 years and it is cleaner than the new one I am buying.

This has been a very frustrating experience. They wasted my time.

fmgsr

Dec 19, 2018
PA
I just hope you guys are getting your tires filled with ballast. That will knock down the bounce, and give you a more stabile ride.

Those two dealers, can't make delivery for weeks. And blame the factory, then finally get it, and it sits on their lots until you threaten to cancel. What type of service are they gonna provide?

Run

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If I'm dealing with a somewhat local company and I do not know who the owner is or where he is located, I ask the question to whoever is there that's not providing the service I think I should get, "If I was looking for the owner, who would I be asking for?"

It tends to make folks pay attention. They can then step up, or I know where to go.
I'm in IT. When we have issues and one of the vendors won't do what I want the discussion goes:

"When we finish up, I'm going to call <appropriately senior person - for our largest vendor it's the CEO> and tell them what I want. They're then going to call you and ask you to do it. If you're going to do it when they ask you to, you can save a lot of pain by just doing it now. If you're going to say no to them as well, then that's fine, we'll both do what we've gotta do."

Surprising how good a result you can get when you're clear about what you're doing and why you're doing it. But I only do it for things we really need, otherwise the CEO will stop taking our calls.

@chimpywrench: sounds to me like the BX is the machine for you. I'd get the dealer to bring it out to you. At least you'll be using it while you keep thinking about implements. Remember though that you can add implements to the finance at the time you buy, I think if you buy them later you can't.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
IN
So, I was fairly satisfied with how my dealer responded to my grievances, and I felt like our chat did not go into an argumentative direction at all. Today he took probably 2 hours out of his day to drive out to a site so he could meet with me and one of his past customers to show and demo a rotary broom for the BX. He's also contacted his area rep to see what Kubota might do for me in terms of my purchase not going so well, and he's waiting to hear back. I might also contact Kubota directly myself, as some here have advised.

I asked if his offer to deliver the tractor and let me work with it for a while before final implement decisions were made was still on the table, and he worked a bit late on a Friday evening to bring the tractor out to me. I signed a basic invoice on the TLB itself and he said we could handle the final sale and financing in a week or so.

So I'm feeling pretty good about everything. The only thing that's caught me so far is that in checking out the tractor I was a bit alarmed by how wide a 54" deck actually becomes. My dealer supplied a boot to connect the deck to an 8" hose for a lawn vac that I already own. All put together it's really pretty wide for my tight spaces. In reading the deck/boot instructions, it was the first time I learned that a 48" deck was even possible. I'm wondering if I should have gone with the 48 for my purposes. I almost hate to even ask my dealer if swapping is still possible, and I hate to delay usage of the tractor even further (I could be using the tractor for leaf cleanup this weekend). I'm leaning toward leaving it alone...

At the very least I get to start moving some piles of materials around tomorrow!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I had not seen that new redesigned broom for the BX 80 series before, and what I was referring to was the broom that was supplied with the older BX tractors in past years. This new broom is really sweet looking, and it appears that they have clearly taken all of the negatives out of the old broom in designing this new broom. Good luck with your new tractor and broom. I am certain that you are going to love it even after all the aggravation you have gone through during the purchase...

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The BX23S is sitting in my driveway right now. I'll make a more detailed post soon.
Congratulations!!

Now you can move from worrying about which tractor to learning how to make the most out of it. I'm envious - I sooooo want a new tractor, and Kubota still aren't bringing the new model B2601 into NZ. There's a chance of model change in January, so fingers crossed.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The only thing that's caught me so far is that in checking out the tractor I was a bit alarmed by how wide a 54" deck actually becomes. ... In reading the deck/boot instructions, it was the first time I learned that a 48" deck was even possible. I'm wondering if I should have gone with the 48 for my purposes.

I almost hate to even ask my dealer if swapping is still possible, and I hate to delay usage of the tractor even further (I could be using the tractor for leaf cleanup this weekend). I'm leaning toward leaving it alone...
Lots of people suggest cutting a stick to the width of your deck + boot, and taking it a few places to see if you'd get through. Make your mind up that way. I wouldn't use the deck until you know if you're keeping it, the dealer will happily swap an unused deck because they're easy to put on the next tractor that comes through. A used deck maybe not so much - although if you're only using it on leaves it'll probably wash and look new still. 48 inch are normally on the BX1880, I can't recall if there's something with the larger wheels on the BX2380 that means it doesn't fit. There's definitely some story with which machines take which deck, but that might be on the B2650.

At the very least I get to start moving some piles of materials around tomorrow!
And you'll love it and wonder how you ever lived without it.

If you're using the FEL without the backhoe on, make sure you ballast a bit. If you get the back wheels very light, you've got the whole weight of the tractor plus the load in the FEL all on those small front wheels. Of course, I do that all the time and haven't broken it yet, but still, the best advice is not to do that.

Have you looked into chain hooks on the bucket? Did you get a SSQA? If so, I've always had a plan to get a SSQA blank and weld chain hooks to that, plus a 3 foot bar going straight up with a chain hook on the end of it - so I can lift things higher than the loader goes and/or tilt forward and lift things another 3 feet in front of the tractor. it also means you wouldn't have the weight of the bucket, which would increase lift capacity when using chains. I never like marking my bucket up when wrapping chains around it, so having a dedicated plate for it would make me happy.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
If your dealer is just laid back, I would deal with it. If they are genuinely trying to scam you, I would find another dealer.

Mine is very laid back. I could share my blade sob story, but I will spare you all. I was becoming very frustrated at the end, but it just wasnt worth it.

My dad had been doing business with them since the 80s and the owner has known me since I was a kid. They truly are good people to work with. In the end, i would take laid back over pushy salesmen any day. The purchase is such a small time period compared to overall ownership and future business.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Do not use the mower deck if you are not 100% determined to keep it. You would want to be the guy buying someone else's slightly used deck as new, I'm guessing.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I also found the coolant was really low, and one of the seat armrests is missing a cover piece. I suspect I'll find more things as I look it over more.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Spent a couple hours with my tractor today and my stress levels are going back up again. I kept finding things that had rust and/or sun damage. I did see the tractor at the dealership briefly and only noticed a couple little things at the time. It was already dark when the tractor was delivered last night. Today was my first time seeing it in full sunlight. When my dealer couldn't get a tractor from the Kubota factory, he finally had one transferred. When I told him I was looking forward to a brand new tractor that hadn't been sitting out on a lot, he told me the one he was transferring had only been on the lot since late September, which I took to mean that the machine was pretty fresh. After I kept seeing more and more little rust spots and sun damaged items, I started digging further and tried to find manufacture dates. I found the engine was manufactured in March of 2018. I think this tractor has been sitting out way longer than a couple months.

I also found the coolant was really low, and one of the seat armrests is missing a cover piece. I suspect I'll find more things as I look it over more.

I posted a bunch of photos here: https://imgur.com/gallery/Msf9nGN
As I said previously, I would have long since bought the JD 1025R.

SDT

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Unfortunately that was kind of inevitable when they transferred a tractor rather than providing new stock.

In real life those are things the dealer can solve or that probably won't matter after 6 months of using it.

But it'll always leave a sour taste, and you did pay for a new one, not an old one that had been sitting around.

I think this is definitely worth talking to the dealer about. He must be kicking himself for picking you as a customer though - he's gonna have a lot of time in this tractor. :)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If the tractor is simlar to my BX23S...

re: low coolant....overflow cap is defective, coolant will NOT enter the expansion tank, pisses onto ground and YOU never know. Simple test, remove cap, look where hose goes, there should be able to see through the passage. There was a recall( I got one) ,they mailed out a new cap. I modified the original( 30 seconds...)

re: armrest buttons... Yeah, they pop out easily, fall onto ground, look like other 'grey junk' and you toss them out.....THEN you discover they are YOUR parts and they're $10 each to replace. MIne are still in the package....need to find some urethane to SECURE them .

Jay