Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Off Topic

Off Topic Got something to share but it's not strictly related to your favorite orange tractor? Post it here!

Old 12-09-2019   #11
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Default Re: It's more snow than average this year

Ray, the well at the farm is 26' deep and about 6' dia. hand dug, laced with flat rocks. It has a concrete slab on top with the old hand pump. About 1' below the slab is a 1" pipe running out about 10' that use to go to a water trough for animals. Water runs out of that pipe nearly half the year. Has to have a spring feeding it.

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."
D2Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2019   #12
SidecarFlip

Master Tech

Equipment: M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota Sidekick RTV,

Everyone can relax, I have the Lucknow 72" blower parked beside the barn along with the 10 foot plow. The snow god knows I'm prepared and it won't snow here for sure. It hasn't either unless you want to count three paltry 3 " we got last month that hung around for 2 days and vanished.

In your locale, who knows....
Old 12-09-2019   #13
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveCreekRay View Post
Strangely, the water has not yet hit the water table. AZ Dept of Water Resources measures my static well level every year in December and in the five years since the well went in, the static level (in my mostly clay well) has gone down almost 50 feet.
If your water induction rate is anything like ours, they say it's a 10+ year cycle for groundwater to get to the well water level.

50 foot of loss is a significant loss, but the desert is fickle that way, or someone near you has pulled the water away from your well.

We had a drought year up here about 7 years ago and a lot of people lost their wells, they just dried up, and most never recover as the rock and ground settles when they dry up.

I have a static water level at 5 feet at the bottom of my property, that would be good for the lawn, trees and garden, but I wouldn't drink it.

My neighbour uses it for their house water.

Our house well is drilled to 105' feet deep, pump set to 50', static water at 26 feet, and we get about 15 gpm.
Old 12-09-2019   #14
Lil Foot

Master Tech

Equipment: 1979 B7100DT Gear

Our place in the high country has a 6" well drilled to 620ft, pump set at 580 ft, static water at 550ft, I forget the GPM, but it supplies 14 homes with no delivery or pressure problems.
'79 B7100DT, B219FEL, B670 Backhoe with 10" & (2) 14" Buckets, 60" Curtis front blade, GC Forks, 42" Gannon box blade, 60" 920lb roller, 4'x4' rock skid, 272lbs wheel weights, Hodge Stabilizers, small dump trailer, 2nd B670 Backhoe for parts, Piranha Toothbar
Lil Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019   #15
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Foot View Post
Our place in the high country has a 6" well drilled to 620ft, pump set at 580 ft, static water at 550ft, I forget the GPM, but it supplies 14 homes with no delivery or pressure problems.
The earth can be funny, just 1/4 to the south of us they have 2 8"wells drilled to 980 feet and they best they ever get out of them is 1 gph...yep 1 gallon per hour.
Old 12-09-2019   #16
bearbait

Master Tech

Equipment: L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade

I'm scared to think of what it cost to have those wells drilled. Mine is 225 feet at the cost of 10 grand but we do have excellent water with 3 gpm coming out the overflow 24/7. They called me at 7:30 telling me they were ready to start drilling and called again before noon saying they were finished.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019   #17
CaveCreekRay

Master Tech

Equipment: L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler

Mine is 580' deep. My neighbor who drilled the week before me is 800'. Our static started off at 60 and has dropped to 110. We both get 1 gph. We had 1500 gal sub grade tanks installed that will run the house for days, if needed. The well pump runs maybe twice a day. The pressure pump in the grade tank runs probably 50 times a day keeping the pressure tank topped off. Barely runs for 40 seconds.

The neighbor just west of me (600') gets 26 gph!

Sean, I heard a number out here of 18 feet per hour for water penetration but my well is in white gypsum, kinda like clay when wet. Don't know in what kind of soil the 18 ft/hour applies to. I asked the AZDWR guy and he didn't know so that may be a phoney number.

We have a large mountain range to the north of us that feeds an Artesian spring. All the rain water falling on our side of that range also feeds our water table.
Old 12-09-2019   #18
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240

White gypsum is sheetrock, just no paper!

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."
D2Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019   #19
CaveCreekRay

Master Tech

Equipment: L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler

Know what is often found in gypsum formations?

URANIUM!

Remember the Chinese drywall board that was making people sick a couple decades ago? It had other toxins in it but part of the issue was it was fairly radioactive. My lot was platted before people understood radon gas. 80% of the lot was zoned NOT FOR HUMAN HABITATION. My house is way in the back of the lot on the only area where building for human habitation is allowed.

Now, we know radon is a problem all over the country and far worse in many places than Arizona. My gypsum is only as radioactive as the radon seeping out of the ground. I vent my well water to prevent those radon bubbles from being pumped into my home via showers and faucets. We have an active radon detector in the house and it runs fairly low (1.6) all year, only changing with barometric pressure changes associated with weather.

A friend borrowed my radon detector once and was stunned: The allowable radon allowance is 4. His basement was 14. He put in a vacuum fan under his slab and it has dropped to 1.5. He lived with 14 for about 18 years before he discovered the issue. Many people have no idea...

Last edited by CaveCreekRay; 12-09-2019 at 03:36 PM.
CaveCreekRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019   #20
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveCreekRay View Post
Mine is 580' deep. My neighbor who drilled the week before me is 800'. Our static started off at 60 and has dropped to 110. We both get 1 gph. We had 1500 gal sub grade tanks installed that will run the house for days, if needed. The well pump runs maybe twice a day. The pressure pump in the grade tank runs probably 50 times a day keeping the pressure tank topped off. Barely runs for 40 seconds.

The neighbor just west of me (600') gets 26 gph!

Sean, I heard a number out here of 18 feet per hour for water penetration but my well is in white gypsum, kinda like clay when wet. Don't know in what kind of soil the 18 ft/hour applies to. I asked the AZDWR guy and he didn't know so that may be a phoney number.

We have a large mountain range to the north of us that feeds an Artesian spring. All the rain water falling on our side of that range also feeds our water table.
Clarify, you only get 1gph? 1 Gallon per Hour? that's only 24 gallons a day.
That's really not enough to supply a house with water.
Even 26gph is really light, 624 gallons in 24 hours.
The average well around here is 10 GPM.

It's very possible to get that kind of penetration in heavy sand or crushed rock, any kind of clay your talking many many months or even years to get through it.