BX2230 slow to start

jss81258

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2019
Bay City, TX
Looked at the fuel lines in the parts manual and WOW! That little contraption under the tractor is a baby fuel tank with 5 tentacles. It is item #100 in the attached picture. The big fuel tank has 4 lines going into it. Would all these lines need to be replaced to rule out an air leak in the fuel system? If yes, I may just settle for starting the tractor in 10 seconds as long as I can start it in cold weather :)

I don't see any actual fuel leaking anywhere and once the tractor starts, it runs well at any RPM. I have run it for about 3 hours in the month I have owned it without doing any work.

OR... I might trade it in for a new 2501 HST with a loader since I definitely got the tractor bug.
Air goes where fuel won't. We run into this all the time at work, so much so that we often test with air instead of doing hydrostatic testing. And, I've used helium with a detector, or N2 with H2 tracer gas and detector to test for leaks as well.

So, you might not see a fuel leak, but air may be getting into the system.

Again, if it were me, I'd start replacing fuel lines that are subject to heat and being disturbed. So, I would replace from the injector pump back to the filters, and then from the filters back to the fuel pump. My logic is that stuff that's not disturbed or subject to heat are often stuck to the barb, and need a good twist to break them loose to remove. This indicates that the joint is sealed as long as I don't disturb it.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then it might be time to assess and decide if going further is worth the effort. I would probably take a look at the injectors. If the tractor sat for long periods, they might need a good cleaning. If you have a diesel shop close, it might be worth pulling the injectors and taking them to be cleaned.

Personally, I'd probably work on it until it starts to my satisfaction. I guess I may be a little OCD or something. :)

Last edited:

gssz

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 27, 2019
Houston, TX, USA
Again, if it were me, I'd start replacing fuel lines that are subject to heat and being disturbed. So, I would replace from the injector pump back to the filters, and then from the filters back to the fuel pump.
I'll replace the ones going from the first fuel filter to the injectors then. Is there any value in using Oetiker stepless clamps on the fuel lines? I think I saw the fuel lines are rated for 30 PSI, but I don't know how much actual pressure is in the lines. Is the fuel gravity fed up to the fuel lift pump?

I like the stepless clamps for any hose that has any pressure in it (and I have plenty of them in various sizes). They should clamp the hoses better than a spring clamp.

gssz

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 27, 2019
Houston, TX, USA
Ordered $80 worth of fuel lines including a long return line that goes from the third injector to the little plastic tank under the tractor. I could buy 25 ft of fuel line for a third of that, but these are shaped just right and are probably prettier.

I would like it to work properly even if I trade it in -it would make the next owner happy :)

Last edited:

gssz

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 27, 2019
Houston, TX, USA
Another question: I added 4 oz of Diesel Kleen to the 5 gallons of diesel I put in the tank. Would it hurt to add even more of it for a good injector cleaning on this first tank? I believe the previous owner (who had it from the beginning) didn't use any additives.

Or is there another additive that is known to do a good job of cleaning injectors?

Once the tractor starts it runs really well, so I am guessing the injectors are doing their job. I would think if either of the injectors are clogged, it would cough or lose power.

I should have the fuel lines in about a week, so that's the next adventure.

jss81258

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2019
Bay City, TX
I'm familiar with that style clamp (use them on PEX) but have nver used them on fuel lines. I suppose they would be fine for the fixed ends, but I would want something removable and reusable for the filters.

I wouldn't have guessed that the fuel lines would be that expensive....

As far as additives, I don't know much about them. I suppose they work for their intended purposes but have never tested. Used as directed, I can't imagine the small quantities would hurt the engine. I do use both gasoline and diesel additives for fuel that's going to be sitting, but that's more of a "feel good" for me.

Honestly, it sounds like your lift pump is working, you're changing fuel lines, you've changed filters, checked compression, checked the air side, checked the glow plugs, and feel the injectors are good. There's really not much easy stuff left.

gssz

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 27, 2019
Houston, TX, USA
Just to update the main thread I started on this - I said in my original post

"I looked at the parts manual and don't see any kind of relay that would be involved in starting this tractor."

Boy - was I wrong! The one relay on this tractor does talk to the stop solenoid, and in my case the relay is telling the solenoid to shut off the fuel while I am trying to start the tractor. That is why I was getting a consistent 7 to 8 second delay no matter what else was true.

I tested the relay (as much as I understood the test procedure) and it has no voltage on a couple of the test points. The wiring harness tested good.

I removed the relay and the tractor starts up right away every time. Of course, without the relay I have to shut off the fuel manually to get it to stop.

I ordered a new Denso relay and will post back to confirm that it resolved the problem.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I removed the relay and the tractor starts up right away every time.
gssz - just a couple observations:

1. WOO HOO!!!:D:cool::) I'm so friggin' glad you found the apparent gremlin!:cool:

2. You think you know a little more about this machine than you did a few weeks ago?!?!? You've thrown some parts at it, sure, but you've also learned some very important things about your tractor that you know you will not have to worry about in the near future (i.e., compression is very good, glow plugs, etc.).
The things you've learned will be with you forever...and very powerful on many levels; whether the tractor, or better yet, the owner.:)

3. You've learned the value of OTT. Couple the really smart guys on OTT with your "I can do this" attitude, and great things can happen.:cool:

4. And PS - - - I and a lot of other people learned a lot from you!

gssz

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 27, 2019
Houston, TX, USA
gssz - just a couple observations:

1. WOO HOO!!!:D:cool::) I'm so friggin' glad you found the apparent gremlin!:cool:

2. You think you know a little more about this machine than you did a few weeks ago?!?!? You've thrown some parts at it, sure, but you've also learned some very important things about your tractor that you know you will not have to worry about in the near future (i.e., compression is very good, glow plugs, etc.).
The things you've learned will be with you forever...and very powerful on many levels; whether the tractor, or better yet, the owner.:)

3. You've learned the value of OTT. Couple the really smart guys on OTT with your "I can do this" attitude, and great things can happen.:cool:

4. And PS - - - I and a lot of other people learned a lot from you!
I am thrilled with the learning as I hope to own a tractor or two for the rest of my life. I am already gathering that one tractor will not be enough :)
If I took it to the dealer I would have learned nothing, and I am not sure they would have diagnosed it any faster (at an exorbitant hourly rate of course). I have been teaching my son along the way so 30 years from now someone still knows this stuff.

I really appreciate everyone's input! I probably contributed a bit in the "what not to do" category

jss81258

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2019
Bay City, TX
gssz - Very much appreciate the update.

I can't count how many times I've thought a problem was going to be difficult to repair or very expensive, and turned out to be something simple.

So, for me, it always makes sense to rule out the easy, cheap stuff first.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I probably contributed a bit in the "what not to do" category
Hey - that's all part of the learning part, and I certainly don't mean that as a criticism.

I was chasing a gremlin with my pellet stove this fall...I also have a couple parts on hand for future use. I ordered them just in case.....:p :rolleyes:

gssz

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 27, 2019
Houston, TX, USA
Confirming again... after a few dozen starts over a couple of weeks the tractor starts right up. The key cylinder was a little sloppy so I replaced that too, but the relay was the main culprit.

Thanks for all the help!

Griz

Equipment
Bx2230
Oct 7, 2022
Wisconsin
Confirming again... after a few dozen starts over a couple of weeks the tractor starts right up. The key cylinder was a little sloppy so I replaced that too, but the relay was the main culprit.

Thanks for all the help!
What was the relay part number, and where is it located? My BX2230 has a similar problem where the fuel pump slows noticeably when I hit the glow plug preheat. But mine just won’t turn over.