Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 10-27-2019   #1
gssz
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX2230
Default BX2230 slow to start

Hello there,

I am new to the forum and tractors (and diesel). Bought a BX2230 with 440 hours a few weeks ago, and it is taking a good 10 to 15 seconds of cranking to start every time, even if I keep the glow plugs on for 20 to 30 seconds first, and even when the tractor is warm. I pulled the glow plugs and tested them individually (connected them directly to another 12v battery), and they all get hot within 5 seconds. They seem to be the original NGK YE01 plugs. When the glow plugs are engaged with the starter switch, the fuel pump runs audibly slower, which tells me they are connecting. I tried wiring the + wire from the battery to the glow plugs separately using a momentary switch (with a 20 amp fuse), to eliminate the possibility that the switch is not sending positive power to the glow plugs), and it makes no difference.

The tractor starts within about 10 (not more than 15) seconds every time, but from everything I have seen online, with glow plugs it should start faster. I replaced both fuel filters as soon as I bought it, and when I bled the fuel line after replacing the filters it seemed like the fuel was getting to the injectors in a normal time.

I looked at the parts manual and don't see any kind of relay that would be involved in starting this tractor.

I wonder what else I can look at in this case please? Should I just expect it to take 10-15 seconds of cranking to start in warm weather? I am in Houston so I wonder if it will start at all in colder weather (TN - where I will be using this tractor to mow about 7 acres).

Last edited by gssz; 10-27-2019 at 06:30 AM.
gssz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2019   #2
RCW

Master Tech

Equipment: BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Default Re: BX2230 slow to start

When started, does it seem to run good with good throttle response, no stumbling, etc.?
You got the GPs hot in testing, so you do believe theyre working when trying to start?
Just my gut, and assuming GPs are working, first I would verify lift pump is working. I have never noticed a change in its sound when activating GPs.
How does the air filter look?
How were the fuel filters? Were they black? Just thinking algae, but you said fuel flow seemed good.

Since it does it when warm, I might think about valve lash and compression.
Again, just throwing out some ideas.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019   #3
RCW

Master Tech

Equipment: BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU

Just another thought, when it does start, what color is the exhaust smoke, and how long does it smoke? (A couple seconds of black smoke is common)
Oh, welcome to OTT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019   #4
gssz
1st Yr. Apprentice

Thanks!
Once it starts, throttle response is normal and it runs well as long as I want it to. Fuel filters were not black, but the first one under the tractor had some sediment in it. It was almost out of fuel when I got it, and I added five gallons of fresh diesel along with some Diesel Kleen. When it starts, it blows black smoke for a second (not even two) and then it burns clean even if I rev it all the way up.

At this point I wired the positive wire to the glow plugs so I know for sure that I am getting power to the glow plugs before I even turn the key using a momentary switch (I fused the wire of course). When I let the switch go, I can feel the positive wire is warm, so I think the glow plugs are getting power. When the factory wiring was connected, I noticed the fuel pump slowing down a bit when the glow plugs were engaged.

I have a new air filter.

Is the lift pump the same as the fuel pump?

I wonder if it could be something as simple as a weak battery? It starts the tractor every time if I crank it enough, but I wonder if it may not be feeding strong enough amperage for three glow plugs at once. The battery voltage at rest is over 12.5 Volts.

Will look into adjusting the valves (I have only done that on small generators before).

Last edited by gssz; 10-27-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2019   #5
Roadworthy
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L2501 HST

You should not run a hot wire directly to the glow plugs. Most NGK plugs require 9.5 volts. You may want to research the specs on your specific plugs.
Roadworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019   #6
gssz
1st Yr. Apprentice

I just tried the direct wiring for testing purposes (will reconnect the original wire tonight).

The NGK plugs have 11V stamped on them. I ordered new NGK plugs as well as a fuel pump, but will try a big battery first.

Other than that, am I guessing correctly that there is no fancy starting system involved on this tractor? With indirect injection I would hope not, but I thought I would ask this group as someone here is probably familiar with this model.
Old 10-28-2019   #7
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

Do a compression test!
Old 10-28-2019   #8
gssz
1st Yr. Apprentice

Would a compression test on the glow plug ports be accurate enough? What kind of compression should I expect on those ports please?
Old 10-28-2019   #9
Dave_eng
Master Tech

Equipment: M7040, Nuffield 465

See attached compression spec's and inter cylinder tolerances.

Use a simple test light to ensure the GP's are being powered when engine is cranking.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum BX compression.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	45362  
Dave_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019   #10
gssz
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_eng View Post
See attached compression spec's and inter cylinder tolerances.

Use a simple test light to ensure the GP's are being powered when engine is cranking.

Dave
Thanks! I ordered a diesel compression tester as the one I have only goes to 300 PSI. I measured the voltage to each glow plug while cranking and it was about 11.9V. I can check it with a test light as well. I reconnected the original wire to the glow plug rail today and no change yet. I also ordered a new set of NGK YE01 glow plugs.