BX Extend Exhaust Fumes (out of shed)

countrynerd

Equipment
BX25D, L3301
Jun 6, 2016
thumb, MI, USA
Back story. Have pto generator near shed door. I like to park tractor inside instead of out in the snow or rain (whatever caused outage). However, also like breathing. :) I want to extend the exhaust maybe 10'-15' out the bottom of the garage door, but just crack garage door a foot or so.

Measured the exhaust tip is little less then 1.5".

Was thinking 1.5" black pipe and then wrap it with exhaust heat tape? To do 45 degree angles to the floor then straight out the garage door.

Only thoughts are if fumes can get pushed that far and if would cause back pressure or something I am not thinking of on the engine?

After writing this maybe just be smarter to install a rough exhaust fan...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
the exhaust fan will pull the exhaust out - but will make the "room" colder as it will pull air in from everywhere else - maybe not a big deal.

The exhaust tip does get warm, but not real hot, if you were to use a piece of sink drain metal - which slips right on and can be secured with a hose clamp , and then move to a piece of 1 1/2" pvc - the metal extension would dissipate the heat before it reached the pvc. I use dryer vent (metal -flex ) up the wall where the dryer is located in my house - then switched over to 3" pvc pipe to vent it outside, the pvc never even gets warm at all.

Now you might think that the pvc would melt - the heat dissipation from the extension will lower that a lot - and if in winter, the metal pipe would act as a radiator, pulling heat off the exhaust pipe. Only reason I would use pvc as the extender is that it is fairly cheap and can be cut quickly and efficiently.

I long run of 1 1/2" pipe might not be a good thing either, depends on the rpm of the engine and the length of the run. Might need to increase the size or shorten the run. Does the run need to be so long?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On gramps generator shed, we used a wall kit, and exhaust kit for a pellet stove, and ran it out the wall.

I've also seen on some auto shops up north, where they made something similar to a doggy door. And used a piece of flex pipe, to move the car exhaust outside.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I deal with exhaust fumes on a daily basis in winter. Hole in door,a 3" or 4" plumbing flange and a cap for when its not in use. Flex hose or garage exhaust hose is best. Running it at pto speed will generate a lot of heat, longer pipe means more heat.
Opening door and running hose under it is not very effective as fumes can make the way back in depending on wind conditions. Any pipe not intended for heat will melt in short order, black iron pipe with insulation on it will carry hot exhaust to your plasic pipe where it will still be hot.

Cheapest? Hole through roof,like a stack and a length of flex exhaust pipe. Need a chimney like setup.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
We typically utilize exhaust fan and a linked motorized intake louver. Code requires CO detector activation, but a switch when running would work. It will suck fresh air from outside. If it is cold out, that air should tempered. This is the best way.

Mike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
3" triple wall pipe through the wall and then double wall everywhere else, make it like a chimney for a wood stove.
Either Flex exhaust pipe or an industrial silicone flexible exhaust to connect to the fixed 3" exhaust stack.
3" dryer vent with flaps on the inside and screen over the outside for the fresh air make up.;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The pellet stove thimble is a great idea. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than a woodstove thimble. There are door hatches for exhaust hoses. I prefer my home brewed pvc door fitting, it seals 100% when not in use.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Way back when I had a little Bolans for mowing grass and a scraped genset from work (they tried to run it wit out oil) hooked it to the mower drive shaft and used a hunk of greenfield flex conduit about 10 feet long, slipped over he tip and out under the garage door,, was noisy as hell in the garage under the house but it worked, none of us died

countrynerd

Equipment
BX25D, L3301
Jun 6, 2016
thumb, MI, USA
Way back when I had a little Bolans for mowing grass and a scraped genset from work (they tried to run it wit out oil) hooked it to the mower drive shaft and used a hunk of greenfield flex conduit about 10 feet long, slipped over he tip and out under the garage door,, was noisy as hell in the garage under the house but it worked, none of us died

I actually did that with old generator true got hot but worked.

Thinking now flex exhaust pipe and wrap it to keep heat down.

Because if power out hate to use little power making to run a barn fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lamanated

Equipment
BX
May 2, 2013
Zephyrhills Fl
1" metal conduit fit on the exhaust pipe on my BX, I made up an elbow so the soot wont blow out on the loader, and then if needed, I can put some armored cable outer shell that had the wires removed, I got it at a scrap yard for a buck or two. works great on Gopher holes

alliebaba

Sep 30, 2019
Matawan
same issue here so im gonna try the metal sink drain pipe on the exhaust add a flex hose to it and out the window maybe a regular vacume hose off an old vacume just gotta see if that will fit over the sink pipe just a quick thought ill try it this wwekend

Last edited:

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Sink drain tube, some metal flex hose, a garage door port, problem solved.

Garage door exhaust ports are very cheap.
https://www.garagedoorstuff.com/product/exhaust-port/

Napa (or any auto parts store) has 1.5in metal flexible exhaust hose pretty cheap. Buy it in any length.

Lowes or Home Depot for the sink drain tube Kubota muffler outlet. Cheap!

When your done using the hose, just hang it on the wall out of the way.

This all worked excellent for me. No more fumes in the garage.
And no lost heat!

EDIT:
You can buy a 25ft roll of 1-1/2" flex pipe on amazon too for $39 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Walker+%2840002%29+1-1%2F2"+Diameter+-+25%27+Long+Galvanized+Flex+Tube&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss

Last edited: