Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Implements & Attachments

Implements & Attachments Find everything related to operating, servicing and maintaining that loader, mower, blade, snow blower, tiller, hitch or scraper, right here.

Old 12-10-2019   #11
chimpywrench
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Default Re: Will a 48" deck fit on a BX23?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Idaho Wolfman View Post
I just read it off of Kubota's option list for the BX23S, which sounds like it's misleading.
Can you point me to what you're looking at?

In the mower deck manual, which includes all 3 sizes, there is a table that shows all the mower deck variations (sizes & drive over) and a row that says "suitable tractor". The 48" is only "suitable" for the BX1880. However, I just don't understand how a the same 54" deck will fit both the BX1880 and the BX2380, but somehow the 48" wouldn't fit both. Clearly, they must have the same mounting system if the 54" can fit both tractors. It seems the only way that the 48 would not fit the bigger BX's, is if the anti-scalp rollers on the 48" were too close to the tractor tires.

It still isn't clear to me if the gain I would get in clearance through tight spots is worth having a deck that cuts less than 3" wider than the tractor tires. I suppose if I really had to get through a tight spot like a gate, I could remove the deck. On the other hand, the lighter 48" deck would be easier to remove and reinstall. However, so far, most gates I've measured don't even let the 45" wide tractor through. The spots I found most sketchy are spots where I would drive on the sidewalk to go from one property to an adjacent property. Tree roots and small retaining walls and either side of a 60" sidewalk make the 54" deck barely manageable - 60" would have been impossible. I guess trying to cut close to anything, like a bush, would probably be really annoying with a 48" deck?

Anyone here running a 48 deck?

Last edited by chimpywrench; 12-10-2019 at 10:59 AM.
chimpywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2019   #12
michigander
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2601

I have both BX25D and BX23S sales brochure neither list a 48" deck for them , only the BX1870 and BX1880. The 48" deck on the 23s would suck width wise tractor is almost that wide. Pricing BX23S on website not getting option either.
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019   #13
chimpywrench
2nd Yr. Apprentice

No one seems to have a solid answer on this. I asked Messick's and they didn't know either.
Old 12-10-2019   #14
chimpywrench
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigander View Post
I have both BX25D and BX23S sales brochure neither list a 48" deck for them , only the BX1870 and BX1880. The 48" deck on the 23s would suck width wise tractor is almost that wide. Pricing BX23S on website not getting option either.
Ok, but the BX1880 is only 1 inch less wide. So do we figure the 48" deck sucks on the 1880 too?
Old 12-11-2019   #15
JackJ
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX1870-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpywrench View Post
Ok, but the BX1880 is only 1 inch less wide. So do we figure the 48" deck sucks on the 1880 too?
I did couch my answer to the fitment issue saying it was for the BX1870, but I'm pretty sure everything about the mount, tires, and clearances is exactly the same as on the BX1880. So: The 48" deck won't the any but the smallest model BX. As I wrote: My dealer tried to make it fit, and then realized the anti-scalp wheels/mounts didn't clear the larger tires on the BX23xx. You'd have to do significant surgery.

So does the 48" suck on the BX18xx? No. I've been mowing with that combination for 3 years now. It works great. The blades extend out from both sides of the tractor such that I can cut up against all the borders on my property, same as a wider deck. Having a wider deck could be a benefit it some situations, effectively giving you a smaller radius for cutting around curves. But that's a minor upside, at least for me, and more than outweighed by the disadvantages of the larger deck on my property.

Your property is no doubt different than mine, so I'm not saying the 48" desk is best for you. But it certainly doesn't suck.
JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #16
chimpywrench
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
I did couch my answer to the fitment issue saying it was for the BX1870, but I'm pretty sure everything about the mount, tires, and clearances is exactly the same as on the BX1880. So: The 48" deck won't the any but the smallest model BX. As I wrote: My dealer tried to make it fit, and then realized the anti-scalp wheels/mounts didn't clear the larger tires on the BX23xx. You'd have to do significant surgery.

So does the 48" suck on the BX18xx? No. I've been mowing with that combination for 3 years now. It works great. The blades extend out from both sides of the tractor such that I can cut up against all the borders on my property, same as a wider deck. Having a wider deck could be a benefit it some situations, effectively giving you a smaller radius for cutting around curves. But that's a minor upside, at least for me, and more than outweighed by the disadvantages of the larger deck on my property.

Your property is no doubt different than mine, so I'm not saying the 48" desk is best for you. But it certainly doesn't suck.
When your dealer tried to fit it, was it the scalping rollers on the back of the deck that were striking the back tires on the BX23xx? Was it only at the highest lift height (the deck moves back as you raise it)?
Old 12-11-2019   #17
JackJ
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX1870-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpywrench View Post
When your dealer tried to fit it, was it the scalping rollers on the back of the deck that were striking the back tires on the BX23xx? Was it only at the highest lift height (the deck moves back as you raise it)?
I wasn't there to see it, so all I know is what my dealer told me by email:
"We actually went out and looked at what the differences were and why Kubota says we canít put the 48" deck on the 2370. While the mounting brackets all match the rear gauge wheel will be completely against the tires. When I say the rear guage wheels I donít mean the wheels themselves but rather the welded metal mounts that wheels are attached too. Unfortanetly we arenít able to take those off. So the smallest deck I can put on the 2370 is the 54Ē."
JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #18
chimpywrench
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
I wasn't there to see it, so all I know is what my dealer told me by email:
"We actually went out and looked at what the differences were and why Kubota says we canít put the 48" deck on the 2370. While the mounting brackets all match the rear gauge wheel will be completely against the tires. When I say the rear guage wheels I donít mean the wheels themselves but rather the welded metal mounts that wheels are attached too. Unfortanetly we arenít able to take those off. So the smallest deck I can put on the 2370 is the 54Ē."
The explanation is certainly sound and exactly what I expected. Whether it translates perfectly to the BX2380 seems to be still somewhat unknown.
Old 12-11-2019   #19
DustyRusty
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX22, BX2750 Blower, BX2763 Blade, BX Power Broom, BX Grass Catcher,

I wonder if you were to install spacers between the axle hub and the wheel rim if that might alleviate the clearance issue? The only way to know would be to jack up the rear and remove the tires and rims and start taking measurements. Once again, we are headed down the road of modifications and who knows how Kubota will look at this should there ever be a warranty claim for the drive train.
DustyRusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #20
chimpywrench
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRusty View Post
I wonder if you were to install spacers between the axle hub and the wheel rim if that might alleviate the clearance issue? The only way to know would be to jack up the rear and remove the tires and rims and start taking measurements. Once again, we are headed down the road of modifications and who knows how Kubota will look at this should there ever be a warranty claim for the drive train.
I would not be interested in going that far to accommodate the smaller deck (frankly, I'm not even sure if I'd really want a smaller deck). At this point, I'm more invested in learning the answer to the question. Maybe that would at least help out someone else in the future.